Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times

Advertisements

QUESTION: For all the present-day (year 2016) controversy over so-called "fake news" (which is a valid issue to be concerned about and addressed), why doesn't the very long-standing "SUPERMARKET TABLOID publishing industry" ever get brought up? By-and-large, along with any elements of truth that they do or may have in them, they are undeniably filled with many many false or unprovable accusations, conspiracy theories, uncalled-for slanders and character assassinations, totally-invented stories and narratives (whether harmful stories or just plain innocuous stories but still totally invented), unproven or unprovable claims (e.g., medical miracles, visits from aliens from elsewhere in the universe, etc. etc. etc.), etc., etc., etc., . . . ad nauseum.

That is, if so many in our society are so concerned with the practice and phenomenon of so-called "fake news", why isn't the supermarket tabloid industry at-large reigned in majorly for libel, slander, public deception, et al? So many of their promoted stories can be picked apart and determined to be made up or else stories containing morsels of truth and them appending them with falsehoods (or at least with claims that can't truly be proven in a court of law or when otherwise subjected to intense scientific-like scrutiny). Shouldn't it be illegal and prosecutable to make a way-of-life and a profit-making enterprise out of being in the business of propagating lies and falsehoods (to deceive the public at any cost in order to make a profit or to accomplish some other political or economic or social-cultural objective)? Or whatever else their motive(s) is or are for being in the business of creating and propagating what can honestly be labeled as "fake news"?

Last edited by UsAll; 11-30-2016 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 12:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
QUESTION: For all the present-day (year 2016) controversy over so-called "fake news" (which is a valid issue to be concerned about and addressed), why doesn't the very long-standing "SUPERMARKET TABLOID publishing industry" ever get brought up? By-and-large, along with any elements of truth that they do or may have in them, they are undeniably filled with many many false or unprovable accusations, conspiracy theories, uncalled-for slanders and character assasinations, totally-invented stories and narratives (whether harmful stories or just plain innocuous stories but still totally invented), unproven or unprovable claims (e.g., medical miracles, visits from aliens from elsewhere in the universe, etc. etc. etc.), etc., etc., etc., . . . ad nauseum.

That is, if so many in our society are so concerned with the practice and phenomenon of so-called "fake news", why isn't the supermarket tabloid industry at-large reigned in majorly for libel, slander, public deception, et al? So many of their promoted stories can be picked apart and determined to be made up or else stories containing morsels of truth and them appending them with falsehoods (or at least with claims that can't truly be proven in a court of law or when otherwise subjected to intense scientific-like scrutiny). Shouldn't it be illegal and prosecutable to make a way-of-life and a profit-making enterprise out of being in the business of propagating lies and falsehoods (to deceive the public at any cost in order to make a profit or to accomplish some other political or economic or social-cultural objective)? Or whatever else their motive(s) is or are for being in the business of creating and propagating what can honestly be labeled as "fake news"?

I think the tabloid industry has been around too long and has never been looked at with legitimacy. It is looked at as farce and for entertainment purposes. They cater to a niche audience, and are never used as credible news sources by mainstream outlets. It is also held in check via the legal system. The laws of the country protect against slander and libel, and these publications have had to pay damages where it's been determined they have crossed that line. I would imagine there would be greater freedom of speech concerns should they ever be looked at for a heightened regulation of content. I agree that they can absolutely be damaging to peoples reputations. I personally don't know anyone who cares about the trivial things they talk about, let alone reads them.

I think the difference would be that the mainstream outlets pass themselves as unbiased and credible, whereas the underlying narratives they posess are insidious.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
QUESTION: For all the present-day (year 2016) controversy over so-called "fake news" (which is a valid issue to be concerned about and addressed), why doesn't the very long-standing "SUPERMARKET TABLOID publishing industry" ever get brought up? By-and-large, along with any elements of truth that they do or may have in them, they are undeniably filled with many many false or unprovable accusations, conspiracy theories, uncalled-for slanders and character assasinations, totally-invented stories and narratives (whether harmful stories or just plain innocuous stories but still totally invented), unproven or unprovable claims (e.g., medical miracles, visits from aliens from elsewhere in the universe, etc. etc. etc.), etc., etc., etc., . . . ad nauseum.

First off are you familiar with the Smith Mundt act? And that it has been repealed?

Second, seeing a headline like "Cher at 70 in her last days" while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, isn't the same caliber as being bold faced lie to by TV news and the rest of the media about events that impact the country as a whole.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
That tabloid news is not real news is not news.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
the tabloid industry has operatives employed right here on CD (and in all forms of media throughout the world) to thwart and shout down any that oppose the T.I. command and control structure watching us from their moon base

Old 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Tabloids have always been considered fake news. Nobody would ever use one as a source. They are a joke. They also have always concentrated on celebrity gossip and weird news.

The new fake news controversy revolves around the fact that people believe almost anything they read on the internet, and it is easy for fake news sites to make it look real.

They are also putting out a lot of fake political news and the people who swallow that stuff whole are a new breed of readers, who never cared about celebrity gossip. When people such as Trump retweet fake news, others assume it is true, which is why the whole fake news controversy arose.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:43 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Do you mean to tell me that there are actually people in the world who believe the "news" stories in such publication are real?
There are really people who take the National Enquirer seriously?
Next, I suppose you will say that some people believe what is written in MAD magazine!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:11 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
First off are you familiar with the Smith Mundt act? And that it has been repealed?

Second, seeing a headline like "Cher at 70 in her last days" while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, isn't the same caliber as being bold faced lie to by TV news and the rest of the media about events that impact the country as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
That tabloid news is not real news is not news.
Great multitudes of examples can be brought up to make my own point (i.e., of which my own point states that, contray to what you both somewhat or outright put forth, the tabloid industry is not just simply in the business of mere "entertainment" and "amusement") but here's just a few examples to make my point:

During the entire 2016 U.S. Presidential primaries and then the two-person race between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, varied tabloids (such as the National Enquirer but then a host more besides them) would & do constantly have front-page stories making very scandalous and serious accusations against Hillary Clinton or Bill Clinton or any other Democrat which they don't or can't know to be absolutely true and yet they put in on the front page in screaming headlines anyway . . . but they rarely (if ever) seem to take it upon themselves to dig up any such serious accusations against the other sides of the political contest (e.g., whoever isn't their own preferred candidate[s]). It is like they have a one-sided mission to bring down someone and will do or say seemingly ANYTHING to do so.

Now, I myself, in contrast, am NOT ever out to defend ANY public figure, celebrity, or other party truly guilty of true wrongdoing (regardless of what my own allegiances are), for that would be intellectually dishonest on my part. Yet publications such as the National Enquirer and a host of others seem to have no such subscription to intellectual honesty, integrity, and fidelity. They are apparently NOT just in the business of "entertainment" and "amusement" (as you both seem to suggest); they ALSO actively try to bring down persons who don't necessarily reflect their owners' own subscriptions and allegiances, influence elections and national policies, et al. I wouldn't allow myself to do that (not even against my own non-allies), for I don't believe in "bearing false witness against thy neighbor" (as the Bible states). I will NOT slander and make unfounded accusations against someone just to win a cause or cause or to have my own side come out on top. Such tabloids apparently have no such wholesale subscription to moral integrity. They DO delve into more than just merely entertainment news and titallation stories; they look to influence the public body politic and affect public policies, elections, and outcomes as well.

As well, said taqbloids also look to bring down even OTHER individuals beyond just political figures (e.g., celebrities or public personalities) by claiming to have inside knowledge of wrongdoings by said persons and yet they are just conspiracy theories or suppositions which may turn out to be true or only partly true or wholly false . . . and yet they put forth such storylines ANYWAY throughout their pages regardless of these narratives' truly-known provability and verifiability, stating their accusations in absolutistic terms and language (as though they know things that no one else can possibly know or find out). Examples: They know absolutely who killed JFK; they know absolutely if Woody Allen is truly a child rapist/molestor or not; and so on and so on with multitudinous other examples.

Why should this all be tolerated and accommodated by our legal system instead of reigned in? So "free speech" should be engaged in by all persons and parties at any cost regardless of its provable truthfulness or lack thereof?

Old 11-30-2016, 01:26 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Tabloids have always been considered fake news. Nobody would ever use one as a source.
I believe Tramp used the National Enquirer as a source for someone's father being involved in the JFK assassination.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:39 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
You mean the Incredible Frog Boy is just a fabrication?

Noooo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events