Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:28 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You mean the Incredible Frog Boy is just a fabrication?

Noooo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
As I stated multiple times in my postings, I am NOT concerned with innocuous stories that don't involve uncalled-for or unproven slander, character assassination, false accusations, et al that defame, demean, mislead, and otherwise adversely affect the body politic of our nation and of the world-at-large. Publications in the business of promoting fairy tales like the "Incredible Frog Boy" and their ilk are apparently looked upon by all persons (except the most extremely gullible amongst us) as being put forth for obvious entertainment, amusement, and titallation purposes. That is NOT what I am addressing in this thread I started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
OK, but when I saw "SUPERMARKET TABLOID INDUSTRY", the first thing that came to mind was the Incredible Frog Boy.
Quote:
I remember years ago (around 1982) that a supermarket tabloid's front page story was that "Adolf Hitler in alive and well, living in Argentina, being kept alive by sex hormone shots and other medical methods. And he masterminded the Falkland Islands invasion by the British in 1982 and the Israel-Lebanon crisis . . ." and so on and so on with other such incredible claims. Now how would they possible know all this to be true? Hitler gave them a person interview? And they video- and audio-recorded the entire interview and took photographs as well . . . ALL of which can be vetted and investigated for credibility? In short, everyone knows (or presumably knows . . . except for the feeble-minded in the population-at-large) that THIS particular kind of material is just put forth to captivate and titallate readers (to add some excitement to their otherwise-boring lives).

I just remembered someting to add to my very last comment that you see quoted above, which is this:
And just HOW exactly did this supermarket tabloid come to "know" all these details about Adolf Hitler still being alive and well in this day and age (around year 1982)? The tabloid said that a psychic held a certain knife in her hands and, from doing so, she was able to "know" and proclaim that "Adolf Hitler in alive and well (n year 1982), living in Argentina, being kept alive by sex hormone shots and other medical methods. And he masterminded the Falkland Islands invasion by the British in 1982 and the Israel-Lebanon crisis . . ." and so on and so on with other such incredible claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 09:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Aaaaaaaand now there's been a shooting at a pizza place because of fake news. Nuts.
It turns out that a man entered Comet Ping Pong Pizza with a rifle (true news) but the shooting was (fake news).

Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
QUESTION: For all the present-day (year 2016) controversy over so-called "fake news" (which is a valid issue to be concerned about and addressed), why doesn't the very long-standing "SUPERMARKET TABLOID publishing industry" ever get brought up? By-and-large, along with any elements of truth that they do or may have in them, they are undeniably filled with many many false or unprovable accusations, conspiracy theories, uncalled-for slanders and character assassinations, totally-invented stories and narratives (whether harmful stories or just plain innocuous stories but still totally invented), unproven or unprovable claims (e.g., medical miracles, visits from aliens from elsewhere in the universe, etc. etc. etc.), etc., etc., etc., . . . ad nauseum.

That is, if so many in our society are so concerned with the practice and phenomenon of so-called "fake news", why isn't the supermarket tabloid industry at-large reigned in majorly for libel, slander, public deception, et al? So many of their promoted stories can be picked apart and determined to be made up or else stories containing morsels of truth and them appending them with falsehoods (or at least with claims that can't truly be proven in a court of law or when otherwise subjected to intense scientific-like scrutiny). Shouldn't it be illegal and prosecutable to make a way-of-life and a profit-making enterprise out of being in the business of propagating lies and falsehoods (to deceive the public at any cost in order to make a profit or to accomplish some other political or economic or social-cultural objective)? Or whatever else their motive(s) is or are for being in the business of creating and propagating what can honestly be labeled as "fake news"?
Because this new complaint about 'fake news' isnt' really about fake news, its about the mainstream media trying to belittle the up and coming twittershpere and the youtube channels of independent journalists. Its the MSM saying "this is new, we are established and because we are established, that means we are the real news and the 'new' news is the fake news'

In reality, their establishment means nothing, its what have you done for me lately and lately, they've been bad, very bad and very crooked and even though they've been exposed badly this election cycle, they are doubling down on their lies and deceit. No thanks, if i want real news i'll surf youtube and twitter and find some honest and respectable journalists who are protecting their own brand by reporting truth.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:44 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Aaaaaaaand now there's been a shooting at a pizza place because of fake news. Nuts.
And there's riots in the streets because Hillary lost. Do you have evidence that it is fake news?

Old 12-15-2016, 11:29 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Now it seems that BreitBart, InfoWars, World Net Daily and Liberty Writers News etc. have become the internet tabloids.
why do you say this?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
those magazines or newspapers/ tabloids - are not news- they always have sex and aliens-- from outer space

Old 12-17-2016, 12:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Tabloids are entertainment that only the densest of people consider to be legitimate.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:50 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
QUESTION: For all the present-day (year 2016) controversy over so-called "fake news" (which is a valid issue to be concerned about and addressed), why doesn't the very long-standing "SUPERMARKET TABLOID publishing industry" ever get brought up?

Because as bad as it is, it's more accurate and unbiased than today's mainstream media?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
For the same reason that no one brings up 'pro wrestling' when complaining about fixing in professional sports.
But pro wrestling is carefully and legally billed as "sports entertainment" for that reason. The tabloids have no such disclaimer.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I saw "Batboy, The Musical" performed a few years ago by a local theater company so thank you tabloids! And the Nat'l Enquirer used to be awesome. I haven't read it in almost a decade but I grew up with it and it wasn't so much 'fake news' but 'gossip', and celebrity info, it rarely sensationalized things the way some of the lower level rags did. I remember some pretty big stories they broke over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events