Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

'Lucky thief' casually walks off with $1.6m pot of gold in broad daylight*

Quote:
“An armoured truck company making a pick-up discovered that a 5 gallon aluminum pail weighing 86 pounds containing gold flakes (valued at 1.6 million dollars) was stolen from the rear of their armoured truck,” the New York Police Department(NYPD) said in a statement.

“The unidentified individual is then seen lifting the 5 gallon pail from the truck and fleeing East bound on West 48 Street toward Third Avenue.”
they got some pretty clear shots of his face. no word yet on a reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
They also think he is down in Florida so must have some sort of idea about who he is. Pretty bold. He may not have realized what level of theft he committed when he took that. Doesn't matter. I hope they catch him.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
The bucket is just sitting there with no one guarding it. I bet this is an issue with the insurance company!

Old 12-01-2016, 01:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times
That guard is definitely unemployed right now.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:57 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
You really do have to laugh at the guy's chutzpah. It's the kind of thing I wish I had the balls (and strength) to do. They say the bucket weighed around 90 lbs.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I don't understand. The article doesn't explain. Why was a pail of gold sitting on the back of the truck? Why was it easily accessible? Why wasn't it inside the truck, secured? What's the point of transporting it in an armored vehicle if you're going to leave it open?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand. The article doesn't explain. Why was a pail of gold sitting on the back of the truck? Why was it easily accessible? Why wasn't it inside the truck, secured? What's the point of transporting it in an armored vehicle if you're going to leave it open?
Police say the gold flakes were swiped when a guard briefly went to retrieve his mobile phone from the front of the vehicle.

“I think he just saw an opportunity, took the pail and walked off,” said NYPD Detective Martin Pastor.

I think they either were dropping it off or they just picked it up.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga
they got some pretty clear shots of his face. no word yet on a reward.
Yes so with the help of the FBIs FACIAL RECOGNITION software,they will probably have him soon.......

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,911,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
From the closed circuit video I saw, it wasn't an armored vehicle, it looked like a box van with a lift gate, which was in the down position. They had unloaded something from truck and were delivering it into a building, and left the rear of the vehicle open.
It looked like the top of the bucket was above eye level in the back of the truck, so I don't know how he knew what was in it. Perhaps he didn't, he was willing to take a chance on the contents.
He didn't just walk off with it, it was extremely heavy, the tape showed him stopping to rest and sitting it down a little ways down the block.. He had to work hard to earn his money.
He didn't look like a typical criminal, he was dressed OK, and just happened by and made a discovery that will change his life. He will either get away with it, very doubtful, and be very rich, or soon be captured and spend some time in jail. Either way, his life will never be the same again...

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Police say the gold flakes were swiped when a guard briefly went to retrieve his mobile phone from the front of the vehicle.

“I think he just saw an opportunity, took the pail and walked off,” said NYPD Detective Martin Pastor.

I think they either were dropping it off or they just picked it up.
As I said, the article doesn't explain anything. Why did he leave a pail of gold where it could be grabbed? Why wasn't it in the truck, secured? Was it being delivered, or picked up? Why would the guard leave it out of his sight? If his phone was so important, why didn't he keep it in his pocket? Was it that important, to risk losing a fortune in gold unguarded? He couldn't have locked up the truck back up when he remembered that he'd left his phone in the front seat? He probably thought, "All that gold will be ok unguarded for a few seconds". Dude! They're not paying you to leave it unguarded!

Describing an event is not an explanation of why things happened the way they did. Maybe they'll provide more info tomorrow.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-01-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events