Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

Many people adopt or foster kids for less that honorable reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 01:23 AM
bjh

60,071 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why doesn't a government employee periodically inspect homes with biological children after birth?
They used to in England. I don't know if they still do, but they had a nurse visit 'new mothers' and make sure everything was as it should be and answer any questions. I think it was voluntary, but either way, it's not a bad idea really. As others have stated biological children are also abused. Okay, say here's my new question and money is no excuse: Why doesn't a government employee periodically inspect homes with children living in them? Answer, because Americans would find it intrusive. But imagine the abuse and neglect that could be ended.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do people get approved for adoption? How could the couple get approved for the youngest child (4 yrs old at the time of the kids' discovery) after years of severely neglecting the older two? There had been a history of chronic absences from school, it said.
It's actually pretty hard. That's shy people go overseas and adopt because it's a lot easier. My aunt adopted two kids and she said it was very very tough process. Those kids are great. They're all in their early 20s now.
But I cannot imagine treating a human that way much less a child that you supposedly love.
Some people are just plain evil.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Many people adopt or foster kids for less that honorable reasons.
So do biological parents.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They used to in England. I don't know if they still do, but they had a nurse visit 'new mothers' and make sure everything was as it should be and answer any questions. I think it was voluntary, but either way, it's not a bad idea really. As others have stated biological children are also abused. Okay, say here's my new question and money is no excuse: Why doesn't a government employee periodically inspect homes with children living in them? Answer, because Americans would find it intrusive. But imagine the abuse and neglect that could be ended.
That would take an army of social workers. Money is, of course, an issue. People don't work for free. Social workers are already overworked.

There are plenty of people reported for child abuse and nothing happens even after a social worker visits. You're delusional if you think having someone check a house will stop child abuse.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Entrusting the govt on any level is highly nieve. Lived in a foster home. Day of counselor visit was a huge joke. She did nothing to help us kids. She didn't want to have to fill out paperwork to remove us. Luckily by 17 I had a fabulous school counselor who believed my sagas. He reported it....And my ohh my how that ruffled my foster parents.
These stories of negligence with death eminent are the culmination of how sacred and deeply held the mantra of " what you do in your home is not my business".
my heart hurts for those of you who were/are let down by the system. thanks for speaking up. thanks for school officials who do their jobs.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
This poor child....it is unspeakable. RIP

Somebody in the adoption agency world messed up big time. These people should never have gotten away with this.

I hope the siblings get some help and have a much better life ahead of them.

Last edited by JanND; 03-18-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I read an article on this that said there had been some interaction with the parents. Apparently they said she was thin because of an eating disorder and that she was defiant, urinating and defecating on the floor out of spite, which would explain the linoleum in the bedroom and the diapers. Yet no physical examination was ordered and no one did anything.

I think adoptive parents should be required to have adopted children seen by professionals every 6 months - mental and physical checkups. This could even be done at school by the nurse and counselors, or a family physician if home schooled. It's less about identifying bad parents and more about assessing a child's welfare. Even the most well meaning parents miss things.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:49 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I actually agree with most of this.

However, let's imagine a situation where we "punished" adoption workers for approving couples for adoption who later turned out to be unfit. Try to imagine the outcome.

I suspect that the response would be to never approve a couple for adoption again. Why take any risk at all?

Incentives and accountability are great things. However, you have to understand that the consequences may be something other than what you imagine.

There is a bottom line to all of this. While I hate to accept it, the reality is that as long as there are parents there will be some cases of child abuse and neglect. I think our best response is to do much of what society already does. Simply "fine tune" the response. Make these actions criminal. Prosecute people who break these laws and put them in jail. Require people to report suspected cases of child abuse. Make the failure to report a crime as well. Also, allow for civil cases as well. Let those harmed by child abuse and neglect bring a lawsuit for damages against those who abuse them when they get older. Let them bring a suit against those who failed to report abuse or neglect when they observed it. Offer parenting classes. Require those who have neglected children to attend child care workshops and supervise them regularly. When they move from state to state, keep track them through a database.

Abuse and neglect are vexing problems. They cannot easily be fixed.
Welcome to the real world. One where if you don't do your job properly, you get fired. That's the "punishment" I'm talking about. The same punishment the private sector deals with every day.

I agree with your last thought. Sadly, we sometimes put a lot more emphasis on putting a child back into an abusive home than on keeping the children safe.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:28 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,488 times
This is where "it takes a village" comes into play. We all need to be aware of when a child vanishes from a regular life. They miss a lot of school, stop participating in outside school activities, no longer playing outside or allowed at other kids homes or having friends at their own house, etc.

I've read so many cases where neighbors "thought" something was wrong, but never reported it. A 16 year old girl doesn't stay at home day and night, without there being a problem. I wish someone had noticed and saved this poor child.

I never would have been able to witness one of my boys friends disappear from life, without finding out what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events