Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,794,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
My children eat moose or venison most years when they grew up. I say most, because it is called hunting, and not shooting, and there were some years where our winter food supply was impacted by not having wild meat.

But I suspect you don't care or understand.
I don't have a problem with hunting for meat. I think it is a bit weird though to kill a lion so you can have a trophy.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
No sympathy for people that hunt for sport/trophies or the people that help them do it.
Quote:
My children eat moose or venison most years when they grew up. I say most, because it is called hunting, and not shooting, and there were some years where our winter food supply was impacted by not having wild meat.

How is that a logical response to the post you quoted?

You are talking about hunting for food. That is not equal to sport or trophies.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM

10,036 posts, read 8,728,579 times
Big crocodile "I just ate a big game hunter"

Small crocodile "How did he taste?"

Big crocodile "Kinda gamey"

Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM

32,041 posts, read 36,947,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
He did not have his rifle with him. Here you can see the size of nile crocodiles.
I wouldn't mess with them.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,631,182 times
What a dummy. Now he's dead. Hope it was worth it.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,984,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most human victims of crocodiles are bathing children and women doing laundry.

KARMA!

I'm just being sarcastic, the word 'karma' has not yet been used properly in this thread.
HAHA...the word "karma" has entered the western realm of pop culture far removed from the original Hindu and Buddhist concept. Put this term in a basket along with western concepts of reincarnation, the spiritual power of pyramids, and sitting on the ground crosslegged while chanting "ummmm" as nonsense misunderstandings of eastern religion.

I'm not a hunter, but even in Africa there comes a need to cull wildlife in order to protect the species. Aligators were a protected species in Florida until they became so populous that they because a nuisance animals. Likewise, Elephants in Kruger (S. Africa) are now culled due to overpopulation.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM

9,347 posts, read 20,087,789 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I don't have a problem with hunting for meat. I think it is a bit weird though to kill a lion so you can have a trophy.

Hunting to feed your family is not even remotely comparable to killing an animal because you want to hang its head on the wall of your study to show what a big, tough man you are.....

Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM

136 posts, read 130,398 times
Wow, judgmental much?

Why the hatred for hunters? Did you know anything about him?

Hunting is an integral and essential part of who we are as humans.

Most folks in the civilized world are woefully disconnected from the cycle of life---specifically killing. Every living thing on this planet has to die, and just because you havent gotten your hands dirty doesnt mean you arent an accomplice by some degree of separation. Have you never eaten a piece of meat in your life? Or worn clothing made form an animal, or consumed animal products?

As a hunter myself I do not condone certain types of hunting---pure trophy hunting where the animal is wasted, unsustainable hunting/fishing, and of course outright poaching. And there are some species I'm just not comfortable hunting. But the vast majority of hunting (especially in the US) is done under government auspices and is a highly regulated activity. This guy wasnt a poacher, he was a licensed guide. You dont have to find hunting African game palatable, but saying he deserved it? Get off your high horse.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What a dummy. Now he's dead. Hope it was worth it.
The vast, vast majority of people killed by crocodiles in Africa are bathing children and women doing laundry. What dummies.

As I have said repeatedly, I do not like trophy hunting on its face (so stop spamming me with nasty "reputation" comments) but people who are against any sort of legal hunting whether trophy, subsistence, or population management are probably urban/suburban dwellers who have never eaten a calorie that wasn't first spotted under florescent light or wrapped in plastic and hasn't the slightest clue about wildlife or ecology, just an inflated sense of uninformed pollyanna-esque emotional knee jerk pseudo ethics with no realistic data based grounding.

Your car is a dead elephant. Your vegan diet is a destroyed breeding ground. If you really care African wildlife and wildlife around the world, don't blame hunters, blame the world population growth rate.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,001,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
Wow, judgmental much?

Why the hatred for hunters? Did you know anything about him?

Hunting is an integral and essential part of who we are as humans.

Most folks in the civilized world are woefully disconnected from the cycle of life---specifically killing. Every living thing on this planet has to die, and just because you havent gotten your hands dirty doesnt mean you arent an accomplice by some degree of separation. Have you never eaten a piece of meat in your life? Or worn clothing made form an animal, or consumed animal products?

As a hunter myself I do not condone certain types of hunting---pure trophy hunting where the animal is wasted, unsustainable hunting/fishing, and of course outright poaching. And there are some species I'm just not comfortable hunting. But the vast majority of hunting (especially in the US) is done under government auspices and is a highly regulated activity. This guy wasnt a poacher, he was a licensed guide. You dont have to find hunting African game palatable, but saying he deserved it? Get off your high horse.
Right, these people are so incredibly disrespectful. A father of two was killed. There's no evidence that he discarded the carcass; that kudu he killed was going to fill his freezer, I'll bet, or else he might have donated it to an impoverished village in the area -- either way, the animal was certainly not going to be wasted.

I'm an aspiring hunter (taken the hunter education/safety course and have my license, just waiting for deer season to come around here in the Northeast ) and I've concluded that most people in the West are completely divorced from the natural cycles of life that our ancestors understood so clearly (maybe some farming families in the Midwest today still understand it).

They complain about "fair fight". A meat operation consists of machines that take restrained, drugged animals and pound steel shafts through their heads. Not exactly a fair fight, in my opinion. It's a lot more fair to stalk and shoot a deer with bow or shotgun. You may or may not catch them; they have a fair chance of getting away and living another day. In a meat plant, there is zero chance of getting away. Those animals live penned up in small quarters, castrated, pumped up with hormones and antibiotics and fed on artificial sustenance that they would never encounter in the wild. In the wild, they live a free, natural existence right up until the last 2-3 minutes. Hunting is far, far more humane than any other way to harvest meat, in my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events