Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
True.

France is MUCH farther from Georgia than Belize is...

And, I would venture to guess, MUCH more likely to experience a terrorist attack.

They also speak French there, which less commonly spoken, worldwide, than Spanish...so...

What was your point again?

belize is an english colony. acording to wikipedia queen elizabeth the 2nd is the monarch there (which mite be false -- i brought the same thing up in a thread about canadian pennies and someone told me canada is independant).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:

They also speak French there, which less commonly spoken, worldwide, than Spanish...so...

It may seem that way viewed from Georgia, but I am not sure this claim can be made with a high level of assurance...

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
belize is an english colony. acording to wikipedia queen elizabeth the 2nd is the monarch there (which mite be false -- i brought the same thing up in a thread about canadian pennies and someone told me canada is independant).
Having Queen Elizabeth a a monarch does not make countries "colonies" of Britain. (Though it does seem bizarre at first glance, I totally agree.) There are many independent countries in the world that have Queen Elizabeth as their monarch. In this capacity, she is the Queen of Canada, the Queen of Australia, the Queen of New Zealand and the Queen of Belize, not the Queen of England.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:19 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It may seem that way viewed from Georgia, but I am not sure this claim can be made with a high level of assurance...
The French government makes the same claim...

The status of French in the world

Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I went on a school trip to France when I was 13. We were all fine and had a great trip.

The vast majority of school trips pass without incident. One isolated tragedy should not be allowed to ruin the experience for everyone.
France is not Belize a third world dump with a very high crime rate.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British Honduras was the name of a territory on the east coast of Central America, south of Mexico, after it became a British Crown colony in 1862. In 1964 it became a self-governing colony. The colony was renamed Belize in June 1973 and gained full independence in September 1981

Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The French government makes the same claim...

The status of French in the world
It depends on what is meant by "widely spoken".

The page lists Mandarin Chinese as number one.

While we can't doubt it has the most speakers in sheer numbers, is it the most widely spoken (and therefore most useful) globally?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
14 years old is too young for a school ......to be taking students out of the country !
Yeah I would probably agree, especially since Belize is not a first world country like Canada or France. When I first saw the thread I thought the kid would be a junior or senior in high school.

Having said that, I think it is reasonable that parents would think that their kids would be looked after on any trip regardless of age.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I wouldn't call it frivolous, and maybe it wasn't deliberate, but what do YOU call it when school chaperones apparently saw her son struggling and he repeatedly called for help, and they did nothing to help him?

And the school claimed that they only knew he was missing after a head count much later on?

The mother found out these details only after her son's go pro style camera was sent to her over a year later, and she saw the heartbreaking video.
There is a contradiction in the story here. No idea which is correct.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yeah I would probably agree, especially since Belize is not a first world country like Canada or France. When I first saw the thread I thought the kid would be a junior or senior in high school.

Having said that, I think it is reasonable that parents would think that their kids would be looked after on any trip regardless of age.
Well, certainly regardless of destination. Swimming in a river in Belize is no more or less dangerous than swimming in a river in much of the United States. Swimming anywhere has an inherent amount of danger--how could they not have counted heads as the children left the water? I've taken kids on camping trips, and I counted heads constantly. I certainly would have if they had been in a lake or river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events