Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

In middle and high school, I knew stupid boys who would drink two huge Monsters one after the other, and their hearts would be racing and they would shake. I always thought it was stupid and dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm assuming there was an undiagnosed heart issue also.

While that is a lot of caffeine, it doesn't sound like enough to kill someone.
It's more than enough.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Unfortunate, but probably not a good idea to drink so much caffeine.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/south-c...39-587d-963a-2
It's not caffeine, it's energy drinks. There have been dozens of stories of people dying from energy drinks. There is a whole lot more ingredients in those "proprietary blends" then just caffeine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22426157

Old 05-18-2017, 03:44 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My son told me it was trendy when he was in school for kids to slam a couple of these drinks with a bottle of Nyquil or handful of benadryl to catch a high before class. These drinks get abused, badly, alongside other stuff that's not exactly a Slurpee. If they get their hands on some Rx pain meds or benzodyazapines that's a seriously bad mix. Kinda hard to regulate the drinks, other than the alcohol ones, to the underage crowd.
There was a store, actually a pharmacy in Maryland that tried to regulate energy drinks. It's been awhile since I heard about them doing it but it was 21 to buy say a Red Bull. Not only did the kids complain about it but the parents complain about it too. One woman I can recall said something that her teenage daughter needs caffeine for school and she couldn't afford Starbucks so she needs those energy drinks. Anyway the regulation with energy drinks failed and today the pharmacy sells them to everybody of all ages.

The energy drink craze was fueled by one factor. The negative information about soda. A lot of people gave soda up but switched to energy drinks. To me that is like giving up cigarettes but switch to Black & Mild cigars instead.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
While that is a lot of caffeine, it doesn't sound like enough to kill someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It's more than enough.
Five minutes of sexual intercourse is enough to kill some people. What's your point?

Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In middle and high school, I knew stupid boys who would drink two huge Monsters one after the other, and their hearts would be racing and they would shake. I always thought it was stupid and dangerous.
Though I've never had a Monster (or any energy drink, as far as I can recall) I do drink a lot of coffee.

Per Monster's website, their product contains 92 mg of caffeine per 8 oz. A typical cup of coffee is 95 mg per the same 8 oz. Plenty of people - myself included (I weigh 185 lbs) - drink a lot of coffee.

So I call BS on the whole idea that drinking a lot of Monster is going to affect a normal person to any significant degree. These products sell the idea that it will make them 'wired' and people buy it, literally and figuratively. But it's just marketing.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Something seems wrong here. I mean, I think drinking Mt. Dew, coffee and an energy drink all in a couple of hours sounds incredibly unhealthy...and not to mention, gross...but people do that kind of thing all day, every day. I could see him feeling bad...heart racing, headache, stuff like that...but actually dying? It just doesn't seem right.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Though I've never had a Monster (or any energy drink, as far as I can recall) I do drink a lot of coffee.

Per Monster's website, their product contains 92 mg of caffeine per 8 oz. A typical cup of coffee is 95 mg per the same 8 oz. Plenty of people - myself included (I weigh 185 lbs) - drink a lot of coffee.

So I call BS on the whole idea that drinking a lot of Monster is going to affect a normal person to any significant degree. These products sell the idea that it will make them 'wired' and people buy it, literally and figuratively. But it's just marketing.
Well it happened. In middle and high school we ranged in age from 11-18 (though most would drink multiple energy drinks in a row in their younger years, probably stopped doing that by halfway through high school, so 15/16). Younger, smaller bodies may have different reactions. They would drink them one after the other, very quickly. I think they were trying to feel the effects honestly. I don't know many people who drink cup after cup of coffee quickly; most people space them throughout the day and don't drink it too quickly, especially if it's hot. I mean, these kids would knock the Monsters back like water.

When I first started drinking coffee, before I got used to it, in mid-high school, it used to speed my heart rate and make me feel anxious and antsy. Now I can drink multiple coffees/lattes a day and I'm fine.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I can't have energy drinks or anything like that, but I have sinus tachycardia. My heart rate just sitting here is 126. My cardiologist told me to never even look at one. Wonder if he has something underlying. Very sad

Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My money is on it being the Energy drink mostly.
The caffeine in Mountain Dew is really high.

Although my niece downed a couple of Red Bull's and had seizures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events