Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How about charging the wealthy criminals and the money would go directly towards upgrading the standards for all inmates in jail instead of just those few special ones?
I think that's a good idea. Rich people should pay for all costs of their incarceration if they want to go to a nicer facility PLUS pay the cost of one inmate in the regular facilities. That extra "luxury tax" would be spent at the regular facilities to improve conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
That's been the case for a while already. Be working class and steal $10,000 = "hard" time. Affluent and steal $10,000,000 = relax at "Club Fed". Kind of like poor people who steal something are thieves who need jail, and rich people who steal are "kleptomaniacs" who need treatment.
^^This!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Madoff is in Butner, NC. http://abcnews.go.com/US/bernie-mado...ry?id=36552841

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/bu.../15madoff.html

In medium security place. He caused so much calamity to so many people. Pathetic.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-21-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Just google a picture of what a prison cell in Norway looks like. The problem with US is that we want to punish the criminals to "hard times" instead of rehabbing them so they don't come back.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:28 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I think that's a good idea. Rich people should pay for all costs of their incarceration if they want to go to a nicer facility PLUS pay the cost of one inmate in the regular facilities. That extra "luxury tax" would be spent at the regular facilities to improve conditions.
Improve conditions??? Prison shouldn't be a vacation destination. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:37 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Improve conditions??? Prison shouldn't be a vacation destination. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
No, not a vacation, just a safe place where they have a chance of being rehabilitated. Where they have competent counseling, therapy, education and trade training opportunities, etc.

These are people who will be let back out on the street someday. They will be able to work with me and my loved ones, live on the same street, hang out at the same park. I would hope they were rehabilitated so they will be less likely to reoffend, especially on someone I love.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
She was taken to a hospital where doctors verified she was literally dying. Are you really going to argue with medical professionals? I suppose to you, lying is some contagious disease that the doctor's caught, so now you can't believe them either Being a con and being sick aren't mutually exclusive.

[/s]
No need to eyeroll, we can be adults here.

My point is that ALL inmates are cons. People don't accidentally end up in prison because of an expired license (first red flag).

It is so much easier to send an inmate to the hospital than to turn them down and have an issue pop up later. Much easier. Correction Officers have no skin in the game and have absolutely NO reason not to send someone who is sick.

It is impossible to believe every single correction officer in her prison refused her request for medical care.

If she was literally dying, someone would have figured it out before she got there on her deathbed.

I worked with thousands of inmates. They all lie.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Oh year correction "officers" are a bunch of angels, aren't they?

https://www.aclu.org/blog/aclu-lens-...s-county-jails

Ex-deputy details culture of abuse in L.A. County jail - LA Times

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2891602

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Everyone in prison is treated humanely. The lawyers and the ACLU make sure of that. The more upscale inmates pay for different accommodation with their own money, which will lessen the tax burden for tax payers. The money they spend stimulates local economy. This is really a win-win for everyone.
I laughed so hard I almost vomited. No one could really believe this....right?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No need to eyeroll, we can be adults here.
My point is that ALL inmates are cons. People don't accidentally end up in prison because of an expired license (first red flag).
It is so much easier to send an inmate to the hospital than to turn them down and have an issue pop up later. Much easier. Correction Officers have no skin in the game and have absolutely NO reason not to send someone who is sick.
It is impossible to believe every single correction officer in her prison refused her request for medical care.
If she was literally dying, someone would have figured it out before she got there on her deathbed.
I worked with thousands of inmates. They all lie.
My guess is that she was in jail not in prison..but for you to say things like that don't happen is peculiar because there are hundreds if not thousands of well documented cases..

Probably the most well known is Plata v Brown the case that resulted in California's prison health system being put under federal receivership and the state being ordered to release 40,000 inmates. Read the summaries of the stories of some of the plaintiffs in the case: https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs...-0018-0004.pdf

The private medical staff that cares for inmates inside the Arapahoe County Detention Facility allowed a 37-year-old man to die on the floor of his cell in a pool of blood and vomit after ignoring his rapidly declining health, according to a federal lawsuit filed this week. Family sues Arapahoe County, private health care contractor for 2014 jail death – The Denver Post

Months after he landed in Florida’s Manatee County Jail, Jovon Frazier’s pleas for treatment of intense pain in his left shoulder were met mostly with Tylenol. “I need to see a doctor!” he wrote on his eighth request form. “I done put a lot of sick calls in & ya’ll keep sending me back and ain’t tell me nothing.” Four months later, after Frazier’s 13th request resulted in hospitalization and doctors diagnosed bone cancer, his arm was amputated, according to a lawsuit by his family. But the cancer spread. Frazier died in 2011 at age 21, months after his release. As an inmate, his medical care had been managed not by the county sheriff’s office that runs the jail, but by a private company under contract. Country's biggest for-profit prisoner health care provider under increased scrutiny | Business | stltoday.com

An inmate who said a Santa Barbara County Jail deputy forced him to carry heavy items following his hernia surgery and denied him proper medical care afterward is suing the county Sheriff’s Office and jail staff for medical malpractice...Robert Eldon alleged that the weight of the property box, mattress, and bedroll he was forced to carry to his jail cell caused surgical mesh to rip and move in his abdomen. Circulation to his right testicle was cut off, causing it to swell to the “size of a melon,” he stated. Medical care was denied to him several times between June 13 and July 21, 2016, Eldon alleged. Eldon said in the lawsuit that he was denied treatment for his testicle, and a nurse with Corizon Health denied him the pain medication he was prescribed following the surgery, instead giving him Tylenol.

In a similar lawsuit filed on Jan. 9 in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, inmate Larry Marvin alleges he was denied anti-rejection medical for his newly-transplanted kidney. The kidney was rejected, according to the complaint. Lawsuit alleges Santa Barbara County Jail denied inmate medical care | News | Santa Maria Sun, CA

So, maybe you worked in a great jail where everyone received the best medical care, but it's certainly not that way everywhere, so maybe some 'eye rolling' is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events