Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times

Advertisements

California isn’t the only location where this is being done. The problem for me is that why should the wealthy have the option to have this benefit, yet if you’re poor you go to the nasty other jails with inmates that you might not want to know or live with while you serve your time. Is this fare? Shouldn’t “all” criminals be treated the “same” ? Everyone in prison should be treated humanely.

Soft Cell: California Inmates Can Pay for Cushier Accommodations - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:50 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,647,066 times
That's been the case for a while already. Be working class and steal $10,000 = "hard" time. Affluent and steal $10,000,000 = relax at "Club Fed". Kind of like poor people who steal something are thieves who need jail, and rich people who steal are "kleptomaniacs" who need treatment.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
That's been the case for a while already. Be working class and steal $10,000 = "hard" time. Affluent and steal $10,000,000 = relax at "Club Fed". Kind of like poor people who steal something are thieves who need jail, and rich people who steal are "kleptomaniacs" who need treatment.
Or, very deliberately ignore safety standards in your mine, resulting in an explosion that kills 29 workers? One year in prison.

Former Massey Energy CEO Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison Over Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion

As long as you're a businessperson who is only incidentally killing people as part of an intent to make gobs and gobs of money, you get a slap on the wrist. But swipe three six-packs on three different occasions and it's "Three strikes and you're out!" and it's life in prison. Of course, that's because those six-packs belong to an entrepreneur trying to make money, and the criminal justice system cares infinitely more about safeguarding the profits of entrepreneurs than it does about safeguarding the lives of workers.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,647,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Or, very deliberately ignore safety standards in your mine, resulting in an explosion that kills 29 workers? One year in prison.

Former Massey Energy CEO Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison Over Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion

As long as you're a businessperson who is only incidentally killing people as part of an intent to make gobs and gobs of money, you get a slap on the wrist. But swipe three six-packs on three different occasions and it's "Three strikes and you're out!" and it's life in prison. Of course, that's because those six-packs belong to an entrepreneur trying to make money, and the criminal justice system cares infinitely more about safeguarding the profits of entrepreneurs than it does about safeguarding the lives of workers.
Yes, or you can drunkenly kill a bunch of people and blame "affluenza".

Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
California isn’t the only location where this is being done. The problem for me is that why should the wealthy have the option to have this benefit, yet if you’re poor you go to the nasty other jails with inmates that you might not want to know or live with while you serve your time. Is this fare? Shouldn’t “all” criminals be treated the “same” ? Everyone in prison should be treated humanely.

That's grotesque.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
Quote:

Everyone in prison is treated humanely. The lawyers and the ACLU make sure of that. The more upscale inmates pay for different accommodation with their own money, which will lessen the tax burden for tax payers. The money they spend stimulates local economy. This is really a win-win for everyone.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
How about charging the wealthy criminals and the money would go directly towards upgrading the standards for all inmates in jail instead of just those few special ones?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
The problem for me is that why should the wealthy have the option to have this benefit, yet if you’re poor you go to the nasty other jails with inmates that you might not want to know or live with while you serve your time. Is this fare?
Sounds good to me.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
How about charging the wealthy criminals and the money would go directly towards upgrading the standards for all inmates in jail instead of just those few special ones?
How about not worrying about what happens to wealthy criminals?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
We should all be treated the same. I think fair and right is somewhere in the middle of the actual extremes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events