Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 10:58 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
That's because most "news" stations are deliberately showing an edited version of the video, cutting off the previous few seconds, where the car crosses over the double set of double lines - forcing the motorcycle to either move over or be hit.

Here's a fuller version I found with just a few seconds searching - it's pretty obvious the "news" stations have purposely edited the video in an attempt to shape the narrative.
What is it you think you see? I blew the first frame in that video up big and at best it shows the car with its right wheels over the white line before the double yellow. It shows no crossing of the double yellow by the car.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If there is a thud or something unknown happening to my car on the highway I don't swerve either way. I grab the wheel tight, keep going straight and start taking inventory. I am convinced the car driver swerved on purpose now. 100%
He drove to where he knew the motorcycle was. He should have gone to the right.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:29 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,177,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
What is it you think you see? I blew the first frame in that video up big and at best it shows the car with its right wheels over the white line before the double yellow. It shows no crossing of the double yellow by the car.
I'll just leave this here...
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcyclist kicks car and causes major crash then flees-screen-shot-2017-06-24-10.21.13  

Old 06-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I'll just leave this here...
OK so you got the right wheels half way over the double yellow. So? Is he coming or going? Did he swerve away for the bike? It is the sequence before this we don't know. And I would think there is more than a few seconds of it. You don't start to video with your phone instantly.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:48 AM

84 posts, read 111,556 times
Car needs to be charged with attempted murder of the cyclist- and for causing the truck to flip. He shouldn't have ever came over into the HOV lane anyways, he was alone in the car.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
OK so you got the right wheels half way over the double yellow. So? Is he coming or going? Did he swerve away for the bike? It is the sequence before this we don't know. And I would think there is more than a few seconds of it. You don't start to video with your phone instantly.
You seem to have missed the point of my post - nearly all of the news outlets have purposely edited out the first few seconds of the video - ask yourself this: "why are they doing that, and for what purpose".

Do you truly feel it is acceptable for the media to deliberately leave out part of the story?

Old 06-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You seem to have missed the point of my post - nearly all of the news outlets have purposely edited out the first few seconds of the video - ask yourself this: "why are they doing that, and for what purpose".

Do you truly feel it is acceptable for the media to deliberately leave out part of the story?
The version I saw which I think is the same as the OP here appeared to edit the video to start with the kick. That gets the audience into the hot part of the video. I doubt they feel the need to be forensically accurate. More to tell the tale succinctly.

And what you really need to know is what went on in the minute or maybe two before the video starts.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
The version I saw which I think is the same as the OP here appeared to edit the video to start with the kick. That gets the audience into the hot part of the video. I doubt they feel the need to be forensically accurate. More to tell the tale succinctly.

And what you really need to know is what went on in the minute or maybe two before the video starts.
Misleading at best, deliberately lying at worst - particularly when they show their edited version of the video (where they cut out the start of the video) with a voiceover of:
"on the video we see the remarkable exchange from start to finish"

Old 06-24-2017, 03:03 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
First of all, the motorcycle should not have been in the HOV lane...
jteskal, I see you live in New Jersey. In California, motorcycles are indeed permitted to travel within the HOV lanes. And it is also legal to 'lane split' or 'white line', (i.e., ride between the lanes of cars; up to the legal speed limit, but no faster than 10 mph above the current traffic flow at any particular spot).

I travel this freeway often as it is the primary route between the Antelope Valley and the San Fernando Valley, (and the Los Angeles basin beyond). I'm glad the extended video was provided. It bugs me to no end when cars on the 14 frequently cross the double-double yellow lines to hop into and out of the carpool lane. There are frequent breaks in the double-double for ingress and egress. Pretty sure a double-double yellow is considered the same thing as an 'island'. If the car driver did indeed cross, that's a "no, no", and it could be seen as the cause of putting the motorcyclist in physical danger. It's going to become a 'he said, she said' thing with conflicting witness statements because they all saw something different.

This particular freeway has their carpool lane active only during rush hour. Southbound between 0500 and 0900, northbound between 1500 and 1900. Outside those hours, anybody can use the HOV lane, (I wish all SoCal HOV lanes were like this). Still, when the HOV lane is 'inactive', one is still not supposed to cross the double-double yellow.

It strikes me odd that there is so little traffic on the freeway at that hour. Rush hour should be in full force, but it appears to be lightly traveled for that hour. Makes me wonder if it was a Saturday. Sunrise these days is around 0540. The 14 is usually pretty jammed up by then. Usually slow 'stop and go' from Sand Canyon to past the 5 interchange. Video appears to be shot sometime between when the HOV was active, (i.e., after 0500), and sunrise, (i.e., no shadows, most headlights still on). The auto was not legally permitted to be in the HOV lane when the video was captured, (unless his car was a plug-in hybrid or full electric car - doesn't appear to be one).

They will find the biker. Should be pretty easy. His bike is fairly unique and there are few places in the Antelope Valley where it could be serviced.

p.s. I drive the 14 with both my auto and my scooter, (a Vespa - don't worry, it's freeway legal and powerful enough to keep up with legal freeway speeds, and beyond, if you get my drift). I understand the frustration of car drivers when they are at a standstill and watch bikes pass through on that wide 'lane' between the HOV lane and the #1 lane. Still doesn't justify swerving a car into a bike, if that is what happened. It will all be sorted out in a court of law. I'm curious about the outcome, but we'll probably never hear. Glad all are safe, especially the truck driver. (Was that an older Honda Ridgeline pick-up? If so, note to self, never purchase a Honda pick-up.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-24-2017, 03:18 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Driver who filmed the incident speaks out
L.A. Now - Los Angeles Times

They are not going to find the motorcyclist. And the driver of the car should be cited for about 15 things including attempted murder. The car was mostly at fault for the entire incident.
Book him, and in Hillary Clinton style.... LOCK HIM UP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events