Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of stupid guys who clearly don't have a fully developed frontal lobe doing stupid things on motorcycles. I also see a lot of bikers (usually in groups in the spring and summer) who are safe and courteous and seem to enjoy it as a hobby or a lifestyle. I also used to live where there were actual motorcycle gangs...like the ones that will kill you. You see their jacket and you slow down and stay out of their way. I get the debate.

But this video seems like the driver of the car was having road rage, including the swerve after the kick that caused the accident. But kicking a car? Come on, dude. If someone is road raging at you, you don't escalate the situation. You get the heck away from them...usually by slowing down or even exiting if need be.

And you have to stop if you are part of an accident. Maybe the driver thought since he wasn't hit or injured he didn't have to stop, but I think he did since his actions were part of the whole thing.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:56 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
No, self-preservation would have been honking his horn and slowing down. Because that's what sane people do when someone makes a (let's just assume reckless) lane change in front of them, which happens ALL THE FREAKING TIME. In the video, the motorcyclist was not in danger of being hit by the car. It takes him about three seconds to move closer (yes, you can clearly see him move his motorcycle to the right TOWARDS the car) to the car and kick it. If he was in such danger, he would have had ample time to slow down and AVOID any contact between himself and the car.

And how does kicking the car help him anyway? As many have hilariously pointed out, he would have to be the Incredible Hulk to have any effect on a car moving towards him. There are most likely only two reasons to kick the car. First, because he was angry, which means it had nothing to do with protecting himself. Second, because he wanted to alert the driver he was there. Since it sounds like this was a long-running dispute, it would not be likely that the driver didn't know he was there already.

Yeah, it makes total sense for you to be arguing that I should be surrendering my license because I believe that without the kick, the accident would not have happened, while at the same time arguing that a motorcyclist who kicked a car like a crazy person and caused a massive crash and then flees is totally fine.

I'll just let that sink in.
So the kick really had no effect on the car, and the driver already likely knew the motorcycle was there? So would it be fair to say that had the driver of the car just let the kick go and not reacted there would have been no accident?
Because I'm seeing a stupid move on the part of the motorcycle, but the actual cause of the accident is the other drivers response to it and his subsequent loss of control of the car.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What's great here is that there's video. I agree that the driver looks like he tries to run over the bike, but the driver of the car can claim that he was just cruising along, and that suddenly there was a thump on his car, he panicked thinking he was getting in a wreck and over-corrected. I can certainly see a defense in there for the driver of the car.
No way. If there is a thump on your car, you instinctively move AWAY from the thump. You NEVER over-correct TOWARDS it. You will always steer away from it. That right there tells me there is a much, much higher chance that the driver of the car intentionally side swiped the motorcyclist, and then AFTERWARDS over-corrected and caused the other crash of the pick-up truck.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
No way. If there is a thump on your car, you instinctively move AWAY from the thump. You NEVER over-correct TOWARDS it. You will always steer away from it. That right there tells me there is a much, much higher chance that the driver of the car intentionally side swiped the motorcyclist, and then AFTERWARDS over-corrected and caused the other crash of the pick-up truck.
Agreed. And if the driver is so easily startled by a sudden loud noise, I don't want them on the road. Let's say the noise was a tire blowout. Would you want someone who could control their car and move to the side of the road, or do you want someone who overreacts and causes an accident?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
What the video doesnt show is what the motorist did to the biker to cause him to kick the car.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
I'd like to tie a chain around that car drivers neck and drag him down the road a few feet behind my motorcycle..

Old 06-24-2017, 10:18 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Another biker causing an accident. Nothing new. I still don't understand how those things are legal.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,177,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What the video doesnt show is what the motorist did to the biker to cause him to kick the car.
That's because most "news" stations are deliberately showing an edited version of the video, cutting off the previous few seconds, where the car crosses over the double set of double lines - forcing the motorcycle to either move over or be hit.

Here's a fuller version I found with just a few seconds searching - it's pretty obvious the "news" stations have purposely edited the video in an attempt to shape the narrative.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Another biker causing an accident. Nothing new. I still don't understand how those things are legal.
Another driver trying to run a motorcycle off the road. I don't know why cars are still legal.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
If there is a thud or something unknown happening to my car on the highway I don't swerve either way. I grab the wheel tight, keep going straight and start taking inventory. I am convinced the car driver swerved on purpose now. 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events