Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:40 PM

221 posts, read 335,408 times

Advertisements

I guess the teachable moment here is: When contemplating vehicular homicide in your next road rage event...know how to control your vehicle lest you end up f'ing yourself up

Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There are certainly safer hobbies one could get into.
Some of us, it's a preferred method of transportation. Ride like you're invisible and everyone's out to get you. Treat every car like a potential threat and be prepared to give some room, or find an exit ASAP.

Kind of why I think to myself why I prefer not to live in large, urban, metro areas. All the cool kids might live there, but so do millions of others. Moved out to the sticks, guess I'm staying out here after watching all these videos!!

Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, he can, but he'd obviously be lying. If you thought you hit something on your left, you wouldn't veer to your left harder.
This is exactly what I was going to post. If I saw something coming at my left side I wouldn't jerk my car left and right into it. If I did swerve it would be to the right. I think that car knew exactly what he was doing. Also, it's pretty stupid to kick a car when you're on a bike, no matter what they did. The car is bigger than you. My brother rides, and I hate when I see people not respecting people on bikes. But my brother just says that people on bikes have to be even more aware than everybody else on the road.

Both drivers were stupid and reckless.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, he can, but he'd obviously be lying. If you thought you hit something on your left, you wouldn't veer to your left harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
This is exactly what I was going to post. If I saw something coming at my left side I wouldn't jerk my car left and right into it. If I did swerve it would be to the right. I think that car knew exactly what he was doing. Also, it's pretty stupid to kick a car when you're on a bike, no matter what they did. The car is bigger than you. My brother rides, and I hate when I see people not respecting people on bikes. But my brother just says that people on bikes have to be even more aware than everybody else on the road.

Both drivers were stupid and reckless.

https://www.mbca.org/star-article/se...where-you-want

"Steer with your eyes

We talked about the importance of your eyes and focusing on where you want to go in the last article. There is nothing more essential to great driving, or more basic, than the main concept that the car will go where you’re looking. You don’t steer the car with your hands, you steer with your eyes. If you look where you want to go, with your head and eyes, the rest will follow; you’ll automatically turn the steering wheel in the right direction and the car will travel in that direction. If you continue steering with your eyes, you’ll make the minor adjustments necessary to correct the car’s path, whether the obstacle is moving or your car starts to skid."

The car tends to go where you are looking. The cyclist distracted the driver, and the driver drove where he was looking.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
i agree both driver and biker were being stupid.

if that accident hadn't happened the driver would be facing murder charges so I'd say he was pretty lucky, actually.

the white truck just happened to be a taller unstable SUV where the driver probably gave some steering input that exacerbated the tipping of that beast and caused it to roll over.

he/she likely turned left when the truck was already leaning to the right.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
and he car deserved ever bit that he got

Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
To me, it looked like the guy in the car was retaliating back against the motorcyclist by trying to bump him with his car, then he lost control. Looks like some road rage on BOTH parts. Maybe not, but that's what it looks like to me.
That's the impression I got from watching it. No way in hell did the biker kicking the car, cause it to loses control. The driver of the car clearly saw the biker kicking his car, then he escalated the incident and tried to run the biker into the center divider, and lost control of his car in the process.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Cashcam video captures road rage crash involving motorcycle on Santa Clarita freeway in Southern California | The Sacramento Bee

Comments from CHP:

"Does the car swerve on purpose to block the motorcyclist, or is that just a startle reaction?

We can’t theorize at this point whether that was intentional or reactionary. I could see it either way."

"Is the motorcyclist guilty of hit and run?

Not necessarily. A lot has to do with what his story is. The right thing to do would be to stop."
This cop is a total idiot. He doesn't even understand understand California laws.

Quote:
CA Vehicle Code 20001 (a) – Felony Hit and Run Involving Injury or Death
(a) The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to a person, other than himself or herself, or in the death of a person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident and shall fulfill the requirements of Sections 20003 and 20004..
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=20001

The biker made contact with the car. He was involved in the accident. He failed to stop his vehicle in accordance with California Vehicle Code. He absolutely must be charged with Felony Hit and Run Involving Injury or Death, regardless of who was at fault. It's unbelievable that a CHP officer doesn't understand that. It is not just the right thing to do. It's what the law requires.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This cop is a total idiot. He doesn't even understand understand California laws.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=20001

The biker made contact with the car. He was involved in the accident. He failed to stop his vehicle in accordance with California Vehicle Code. He absolutely must be charged with Felony Hit and Run Involving Injury or Death, regardless of who was at fault. It's unbelievable that a CHP officer doesn't understand that. It is not just the right thing to do. It's what the law requires.
No the cop is right on. They can go after the motorcyclist for hit and run. But his story is that he was trying to get the drivers attention and the driver tried to hit him and he ducked. The Accident occurred after he ducked amd the Nissan hit the wall. So he is only a witness.
It can certainly be argued and the prosecutor may try it...but may well lose. And my guess is the prosecutor will in the end move it to a traffic infraction not worse than a minor misdemeanor and that will be it. The Nissan driver gets hung and his insurance company settles for the max of the policy and the drivers available wealth gets confiscated as well.

Last edited by lvmensch; 06-27-2017 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
My husband (who rides a bike) and I had a rather heated argument about this the other night. He maintains that the car is at fault because he started the whole chain reaction by cutting off the bike. I maintain that the bike is at fault, because he took the law into his hands and kicked the car after a traffic incident.

The bike had every opportunity to drive off. Scream, yell, flip the driver off, get a license number and call the cops - whatever. But the moment he made contact with the car deliberately he became at fault (IMO).

I don't know anything about the driver of the car, but if I, a woman, had done something stupid or illegal while driving (and who hasn't at some point?), and had a guy on a bike chase me down and repeatedly kick my car, I might swerve to get him to stop.

Years ago, I was pushed out of a fast lane on a 70 mph freeway by a car full of teenagers. I had nowhere to go but into the median, where I drove on the grass, hoping I didn't hit any obstructions, until I was able to get back into traffic. I had a choice at that point. I could chase down those teens for their dangerous and illegal action, or let it go. The bike had that same choice.
The most pertinent factor here is who caused the physical accident. It's clear that the motorist caused the physical accident. The kick did not cause the motorist to loose control. That much is clear. The fact that the biker may have caused the motorist's road rage does not transfer the responsibility of the accident to the biker.
If the biker damaged the motorist's car before the motorist lost control then the yes the biker is responsible for that, but that is it. The biker holds no culpability for the car running into the barrier and hitting the truck.
And since his action was clearly intentional to harm the motorcyclist, it's pretty clear to me that his actions are criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events