Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times

Advertisements

I think if it works for all concerned & everyone is happy, why worry what others say.

Prior to WW2 most American households were multi-generational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:34 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, if they are supporting their 24 - 30+ year olds, that's money not going to their retirement savings.
In what way? You act as if there is this large population of completely unemployed adults. Most millennials have jobs. Many do not have ones lucrative enough to pay for a house or an apartment.

Many live with their parents but pay bills and others pay a portion of the rent or mortgage.

At some point the anti-millennial BS has got to stop.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM

981 posts, read 899,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If it wasn't for gay couples, the wedding industry might be in the toilet. Write that down, cake bakers.

Don't forget the delay paying for their own insurance.

No wonder old people are delaying retirement. They are still stuck with their kids.

YEP, and from my experience, the EXPECTATION is that parents will continue to pay for car insurance, car repairs, cell phone, etc. even after they have moved out and have decent paying jobs. I recently said to my husband, will this continue until they are 50?!? He is a softie so he just shrugs, but I find it incredibly frustrating especially since we are close to retirement.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's difficult to travel more as a couple IMO. You have to coordinate two different vacation schedules and decide where to go together. One person may want to X, another may want to go to Y. Not saying it can't be done, but it's tougher.
This, right here. A generation of me, me, me first. A generation used to getting their own way. A generation that has no concept of compromise.

It's also a lot cheaper to travel as a couple. But I guess that generation has mommy and daddy footing the bill for them, so who cares how cheap travel is.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
I really don't see what the problem is with the older age of marriage. I got married at 33, wife 30.

It means Millennials are making better choices since having kids and/or getting a divorce in your 20s when you're not financially secure is often a huge problem.

The baby boomers grew up in an era when the age of marriage when abnormally low. Historically it was not typical for people to get married in their teens and early 20s. It typically was 22-26 for women, 24-32 for men. During the 1940s-60s, there was this huge push for people get married after high school. It's probably the reason so many divorces happened in the 70s through 90s, because a bunch of people unwisely got married too young.

What affects Millennials is that there's basically a 5-8 year lag compared to the Boomers, caused by the economy. I achieved by age 29 what my dad thought I should have been able to do when I was 24. Similar for my wife vis-a-vis her parents.

The reality is that what Millennials are achieving is not significantly different than what anybody pre-WWII would have done. My great-grandparents similarly did not leave the farm until they were relatively old, like 28-30. My grandfather lived at home until his early 30s. My grandmother lived on her own as young as 22, but she rented a room in a boarding house in which the matron of the house was basically in-loco-parentis, did not live on her own until she got married.

We had some great economic circumstances after WWII that the Boomers enjoyed. That's not coming back.

Re-watch "It's a Wonderful Life" sometime. George Bailey was living in his parents house until he got married, which was when he was in his late 20s, early 30s. That was how people lived in the pre-WWII economy. Not many 25 year olds were buying fancy houses. They lived in their parents house or at most, rented a room in some kind of boarding house until they had been working for a good number of years. Today we don't have the boarding houses.

Last edited by redguard57; 08-01-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

186 posts, read 175,568 times
MY kids still live at home and never gave me a problem. They both work and I am happy that they are still here. With the prices compared to the salaries how can they cope. They need time to save money. Why would you want to watch them struggle. NJ was ranked #1 with older children still living at home.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This, right here. A generation of me, me, me first. A generation used to getting their own way. A generation that has no concept of compromise.

It's also a lot cheaper to travel as a couple. But I guess that generation has mommy and daddy footing the bill for them, so who cares how cheap travel is.
You have just revealed that your disdain for millennials is personal based on your beliefs rather than any actual logic or reason. That doesn't count for much.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
If I were to go off the internet millenials are the whiniest generation I have seen.

BUT, most millenials are too busy working, living on their own, dating and having a good time to be posting on the internet much.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I really don't see what the problem is with the older age of marriage. I got married at 33, wife 30.

It means Millennials are making better choices since having kids and/or getting a divorce in your 20s when you're not financially secure is often a huge problem.

The baby boomers grew up in an era when the age of marriage when abnormally low. Historically it was not typical for people to get married in their teens and early 20s. It typically was 22-26 for women, 24-32 for men. During the 1940s-60s, there was this huge push for people get married after high school. It's probably the reason so many divorces happened in the 70s through 90s, because a bunch of people unwisely got married too young.

What affects Millennials is that there's basically a 5-8 year lag compared to the Boomers, caused by the economy. I achieved by age 29 what my dad thought I should have been able to do when I was 24. Similar for my wife vis-a-vis her parents.

The reality is that what Millennials are achieving is not significantly different than what anybody pre-WWII would have done. My great-grandparents similarly did not leave the farm until they were relatively old, like 28-30. We had some great economic circumstances after WWII that the Boomers enjoyed. That's not coming back.

Re-watch "It's a Wonderful Life" sometime. George Bailey was living in his parents house until he got married, which was when he was in his late 20s, early 30s.
The time of WWII to the early 60's was a rare time of American prosperity so great to the lights of which we had never experienced before and really since then. But people still cling to it as if it applies today.

The nuclear family is actually a fairly new concept in the context of the history of this country. 60 + years compared to a country that is 240 years old not counting another 100 years of pre colonial history and this 60+ years is a drop in the bucket.

Of course you could tell people to pick up a damn history book to read this for themselves but they will not. They will cling to this Millennials suck narrative ultimately their argument loses steam because it comes down to the "kids get off my lawn" sentiment without any substance to back up their claims.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You have just revealed that your disdain for millennials is personal based on your beliefs rather than any actual logic or reason. That doesn't count for much.
No, actually it's based on what I see around me.

And my disdain is not for them as much as for their parents. The parents that raised them to believe that only they matter, and that they can have whatever they want, with little or no effort on their part.

I have more pity for millennials than disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events