Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
UPDATE:

The couple had brought hallucinogens with them into the park, and Nguyen had trace amounts of cannabis in her system, as determined by the autopsy.
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/0...n-joshua-tree/
And, the toxicology test did not reveal any drugs in Orbeso’s system whatsoever. There is no way that a trace amount of medical marijuana in her system, could have contributed to what happened. Even if they were both smoking weed and doing hallucinogens, it wouldn't have contributed to their deaths. If that's the way drugs work, 1 out of 10 Californians would already be dead.

This was just a tragic accident that could happen to any inexperienced hikers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And, the toxicology test did not reveal any drugs in Orbeso’s system whatsoever. There is no way that a trace amount of medical marijuana in her system, could have contributed to what happened. Even if they were both smoking weed and doing hallucinogens, it wouldn't have contributed to their deaths. If that's the way drugs work, 1 out of 10 Californians would already be dead.

Doing hallucinogens in 110 degree heat is different than doing them in your living room so yes it could have contributed in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Do you at least agree that this was a murder-suicide, as the coroner has ruled?

Which happens sometimes, when couples break up and one wants very much to get back together, and has put effort into getting back together but has been rejected.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:03 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Doing hallucinogens in 110 degree heat is different than doing them in your living room so yes it could have contributed in my opinion.

True, but neither actually had hallucinogens in their system according to the autopsy. I'm unaware that having hallucinogenic mushrooms only stashed in one's backpack contributes to the risk of dying.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I was hoping there would be further information about the incident, that would help resolve the mystery, but what little info has been added, doesn't help. I notice the article did say that the family is holding onto the interpretation that the two got lost or disoriented, and the murder/suicide was a mercy killing on his part, while authorities feel the possibility of a breakup-related murder is not off the table. And apparently they didn't have drugs in their system, so that wouldn't explain why they wandered quite obviously off-trail.

I don't see any other explanation, though, for why they'd wander into what was quite clearly badlands-type of terrain, if it weren't a setup on his part. The article did say they were only two miles from their car. It doesn't make sense that they'd have thought that salvation somehow lay in leaving the trail area, even if it were a poorly-marked trail, and clambering over boulders. There's a missing puzzle piece there, still. Not to mention the fact that he chose to bring a gun in the first place.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you at least agree that this was a murder-suicide, as the coroner has ruled?

Which happens sometimes, when couples break up and one wants very much to get back together, and has put effort into getting back together but has been rejected.
But if this was the scenario why would they then be going on this remote hike together (following the breakup)?

Old 06-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But if this was the scenario why would they then be going on this remote hike together (following the breakup)?
It was her birthday celebration, and she went with him as a "friend", but during the time they were broken up his friend said he was very focused on winning her back.

I think there were two sides to him. The side that was sweet and gentle, and caring, and the side that was obsessed with his love for her and that drove him to murder her and kill himself.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was hoping there would be further information about the incident, that would help resolve the mystery, but what little info has been added, doesn't help. I notice the article did say that the family is holding onto the interpretation that the two got lost or disoriented, and the murder/suicide was a mercy killing on his part, while authorities feel the possibility of a breakup-related murder is not off the table. And apparently they didn't have drugs in their system, so that wouldn't explain why they wandered quite obviously off-trail.

I don't see any other explanation, though, for why they'd wander into what was quite clearly badlands-type of terrain, if it weren't a setup on his part. The article did say they were only two miles from their car. It doesn't make sense that they'd have thought that salvation somehow lay in leaving the trail area, even if it were a poorly-marked trail, and clambering over boulders. There's a missing puzzle piece there, still. Not to mention the fact that he chose to bring a gun in the first place.
That. I know nobody in the family wants to believe he tricked her into going to that remote location to kill her and himself, but I'm really struggling to see it otherwise. I really don't see how we'll ever know more than they know now. It seems if there was a suicide note or a witness, or some other clue, they'd know it by now.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:37 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
It was her birthday celebration, and she went with him as a "friend", but during the time they were broken up his friend said he was very focused on winning her back.

I think there were two sides to him. The side that was sweet and gentle, and caring, and the side that was obsessed with his love for her and that drove him to murder her and kill himself.
I missed that detail. Can you provide a link? I don't remember that coming up earlier in the thread. That's an important detail, that would tend to support the murder motive.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
That. I know nobody in the family wants to believe he tricked her into going to that remote location to kill her and himself, but I'm really struggling to see it otherwise. I really don't see how we'll ever know more than they know now. It seems if there was a suicide note or a witness, or some other clue, they'd know it by now.
Same here.

We know it's already been argued back and forth in this thread, but I've never heard of a scenario where someone took a gun on a hike with an ex, and then killed that ex as a form of 'mercy' in addition to killing himself. That stuff happens in the movies.

Like I said, hey, if the families want to believe that to give them closure, so be it, but many of us think it's a murder/suicide because he couldn't win her back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events