Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 01:41 PM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times

Advertisements

He killed her because he couldn't have her, that's my opinion anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I missed that detail. Can you provide a link? I don't remember that coming up earlier in the thread. That's an important detail, that would tend to support the murder motive.
I'll look later tonight - I think it's in this thread somewhere.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That. I know nobody in the family wants to believe he tricked her into going to that remote location to kill her and himself, but I'm really struggling to see it otherwise.
Why would they believe that when it makes zero sense? She planned the whole trip, chose the location, and even drove. She invited him along after her boyfriend wasn't able to go. So how exactly did he trick her into going when it was all her idea?

Old 06-27-2018, 04:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
I missed that detail. Can you provide a link? I don't remember that coming up earlier in the thread. That's an important detail, that would tend to support the murder motive.
They dated for a very short period years ago. It was a short lived high school thing where they remained friends afterwards, as they had been friends before.

It wasn't a recent breakup, and the relationship was never anything serious.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Do you at least agree that this was a murder-suicide, as the coroner has ruled?

Which happens sometimes, when couples break up and one wants very much to get back together, and has put effort into getting back together but has been rejected.
It was a mercy killing, as investigators have ruled.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
I was hoping there would be further information about the incident, that would help resolve the mystery, but what little info has been added, doesn't help. I notice the article did say that the family is holding onto the interpretation that the two got lost or disoriented, and the murder/suicide was a mercy killing on his part, while authorities feel the possibility of a breakup-related murder is not off the table. And apparently they didn't have drugs in their system, so that wouldn't explain why they wandered quite obviously off-trail.

I don't see any other explanation, though, for why they'd wander into what was quite clearly badlands-type of terrain, if it weren't a setup on his part. The article did say they were only two miles from their car. It doesn't make sense that they'd have thought that salvation somehow lay in leaving the trail area, even if it were a poorly-marked trail, and clambering over boulders. There's a missing puzzle piece there, still. Not to mention the fact that he chose to bring a gun in the first place.
They got lost maybe? You are aware that Joshua Tree is basically all badlands? That's why people hike there.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It was a mercy killing, as investigators have ruled.
I hate threads that get down to yes they did no they didn't, but as far as I know, they did not say it was a mercy killing.

That's what the family said.

Can you find a quote from Law Enforcement (and there have been many) where they stated (not the family) that it was a mercy killing?

Murder/Suicide is what Law Enforcement has said, and the coroner ruled.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I feel like there was a better article, with more personal info, but this is all I was able to find to back up that he was still interested in her. His friend, Andrew Young's statement. You do have to infer a lot, and read between the lines. Andrew was defending his friend. He didn't want him to go down in history as a "murderer".

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...-sheriff-says/

The fact that he shot her to death, and then positioned themselves naked and entwined - that is some strong love. That's not a friend.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
I feel like there was a better article, with more personal info, but this is all I was able to find to back up that he was still interested in her. His friend, Andrew Young's statement. You do have to infer a lot, and read between the lines. Andrew was defending his friend. He didn't want him to go down in history as a "murderer".

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...-sheriff-says/

The fact that he shot her to death, and then positioned themselves naked and entwined - that is some strong love. That's not a friend.
When you know you're about to die, a lot of emotions must come to the surface. Perhaps they made love before they died. I just watched a movie like this (I know, I get it...it's a movie)...can't remember what it was called...Kate Winslet, Idris Elba...you can get inordinately close to someone under extreme conditions and in this case, they already had a past.

I just don't see why these circumstances don't produce assumptions just like saying it could have been a mercy killing is based on assumptions. I don't see why the latter would be much less likely than the former.

ETA: Also, where is the information that he shot her, then stripped her naked, then positioned her?

Last edited by JerZ; 06-27-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
When you know you're about to die, a lot of emotions must come to the surface. Perhaps they made love before they died. I just watched a movie like this (I know, I get it...it's a movie)...can't remember what it was called...Kate Winslet, Idris Elba...you can get inordinately close to someone under extreme conditions and in this case, they already had a past.

I just don't see why these circumstances don't produce assumptions just like saying it could have been a mercy killing is based on assumptions. I don't see why the latter would be much less likely than the former.
Can you think of a time where someone has done that?

When very healthy, young, happy people get into an emergency situation like this? It just seems so completely unusual when you're lost and dehydrating to shoot your friend and then yourself.

On the other hand, men who are in love and can't live without a woman who doesn't want them do this with startling regularity.

This is what make up murder/suicides - men whose women reject them.

To answer your ETA question above, they were discovered naked and entwined. Given that she didn't want a relationship with him, I'm kind of thinking that wasn't her idea.

I'm also thinking it wasn't her idea to get shot, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events