Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 PM

35,822 posts, read 18,155,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And there are also no comments saying that he was interested in getting her back.
You have to stretch it, but his friend Andrew Young's statement indicates - to me - that he was. "He wasn't trying to push a relationship" to me means he wanted one but was willing to soft pedal it while he "really liked doing nice things for her".

We're all reading between the lines here, looking at the same puzzle pieces, and that's what I come up with.

That he couldn't bear to live without her so he shot her and then himself. That's what I'm coming up with, considering the hell that Joshua Tree was at that time, where they were FAR OFF the trail, in naked embrace.

That's the opinion I end up with.

When you see a headline saying "murder suicide", it's a man killing a woman he wants and then killing himself.

So I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,077,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You have to stretch it
Yes, you really do have to stretch it a lot to come to such a conclusion from the given quote. He did nice things for her because they were friends. That is what friends do. Sorry that you don't have any such experiences in your own life, but someone being nice to you doesn't automatically mean they want to have a relationship with you or murder you in a jealous (years long) rage.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, you really do have to stretch it a lot to come to such a conclusion from the given quote. He did nice things for her because they were friends. That is what friends do. Sorry that you don't have any such experiences in your own life, but someone being nice to you doesn't automatically mean they want to have a relationship with you or murder you in a jealous (years long) rage.
What an odd thing to say, Sunday.

And I don't think you have to stretch it that much - at all - to read between the lines that he's saying he wanted to be with her but was willing to take a long approach and not an aggressive one.

But anyway, wow that got ugly in a hurry, outta nowhere. :-/

Um, I hope you have a nice evening.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:35 PM

8,956 posts, read 11,831,374 times
ClaraC is trying really hard. Why don't you guys give her this one?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
ClaraC is trying really hard. Why don't you guys give her this one?
Ok, that made me laugh right out loud.

I think maybe I'll go fix dinner. ;D

Old 06-27-2018, 06:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,096,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Law enforcement agencies issue corrections to media reports all the time. Especially if they feel they are being misquoted.
Yes, and when it comes to murder they really don't just leave off the investigation in order to spare the family's feelings. Maybe in the Middle Ages or in some rural town in the 1700s with a population of 40 but definitely not with current forensics. With murder, an answer is warranted, even if the person can't be prosecuted (in this case because he's dead). There are cold files dating back decades that took a decade or more to be let go of...murder is serious stuff (obviously) and the law doesn't gently leave it alone so nobody's feelings get hurt.

Last edited by JerZ; 06-27-2018 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Where have you seen that? All I've seen is Andrew's statement, that he didn't want to "push the relationship" and "he really wanted to do nice things for her".

I haven't seen a comment that he wasn't interested in getting her back. Do you still have a link to that?
I haven't seen the comment that he WAS interested in getting her back. Do you still have a link to that?

Quote:
Orbeso and Nguyen had dated but most recently were friends,
Quote:
“He saw her socially and wasn’t going to push the relationship,” Young said. “He just wanted to do thoughtful things for her. He was never aggressive. He was the most respectful man I know.”
This shows NO indication that he was trying to get her back. BTW, that link was yours.
Quote:
I’m not aware of anyone coming forward to offer information that Rachel was in any danger or that there was anything planned to cause harm to her,” [Bachman] said.
Also from your link.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
You have to stretch it, but his friend Andrew Young's statement indicates - to me - that he was. "He wasn't trying to push a relationship" to me means he wanted one but was willing to soft pedal it while he "really liked doing nice things for her".
No, what it shows is that the hysterical rumors were already flying about how obviously this guy somehow planned to have her suggest (???) they go into a remote area so he could shoot her (YEARS after they were no longer even lightly dating), and he was responding to suggestions that were already made, unfounded, that he was a currently rejected lover. So he was saying that he WASN'T trying to push for a relationship.

It is as simple as that.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:01 PM

15,507 posts, read 9,200,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, and when it comes to murder they really don't just leave off the investigation in order to spare the family's feelings. Maybe in the Middle Ages but definitely not with current forensics. With murder, an answer is warranted, even if the person can't be prosecuted (in this case because he's dead). There are cold files dating back decades that took a decade or more to be let go of...murder is serious stuff (obviously) and the law doesn't gently leave it alone so nobody's feelings get hurt.
Exactly, you can make an argument that the families just can't accept the truth, but the police investigators are a neutral third party. They don't care one way or the other. They are just trying to find out what happened. They are used to telling people that their family member murdered somebody, if that is what happened.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Same here.

We know it's already been argued back and forth in this thread, but I've never heard of a scenario where someone took a gun on a hike with an ex, and then killed that ex as a form of 'mercy' in addition to killing himself. That stuff happens in the movies.

Like I said, hey, if the families want to believe that to give them closure, so be it, but many of us think it's a murder/suicide because he couldn't win her back.
I was hoping some info might be forthcoming from a family member or friend. Like the family member who mentioned during the search, that the guy said he was taking a gun, because his ex had been stalked lately. That type of detail from a conversation, a comment he might have made, that sort of thing.

But the family isn't saying anything, except that they believe there was no angry motive, only a wish to end their suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events