Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 PM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I used to like some of B&J's ice creams but when they started supporting a bunch of the Liberal agenda with profits from their products I quit buying their stuff. Now they have all the aging hippies and greenies that are going to quit buying their ice cream. . . . Life sucks sometimes right?
No. Life's a b*tch, and then you die. At least get it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 PM

5,957 posts, read 4,222,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Anything can sound bad if the information is imparted with sufficient breathlessness or hysteria.

Example:
"Did you know that all bananas are radioactive???"

It's true. Bananas are chock full of potassium, and where there's potassium there's the isotope K-40. A normal human being with a normal load of potassium in their body experiences over 4000 radioactive K-40 isotopes undergoing beta decay every second. That's a quarter million per minute. Over 14 million every hour. A third of a billion each day.

And?

It's harmless. That 4000/second? It's a miniscule amount.

"But it all adds up!"

True. It does all 'add up', at least numerically. But even then, the cumulative dosage - trillions of beta-decaying atoms over a normal human lifespan - is benign. When someone earnestly insist that it will all 'add up' to something dire, they need to understand toxicity thresholds, otherwise they're just saying empty things with no meaning. As with glyphosate levels in Ben & Jerry's.

Anyway, the real scourge of western civilization is dihydrogen monoxide!

Ben & Jerry's is a subsidiary of Unilever, a global conglomerate with annual revenues exceeding $100 billion. But it's certainly amusing that you think you're boycotting two wild-eyed leftists. Anyway, I suppose it's understandable that you hadn't heard the company had been sold. After all, it's only been 17 years since it happened.

PS - Ever buy Hellmann's mayonnaise? Use Q-Tips? Vaseline? Dollar Shave Club? Well, if you're not boycotting all those then your dollars are going onto the same ledger that you think you're boycotting, because they're owned by the same corporate masters as the Ben & Jerry's brand.

Below a certain threshold, it is as harmless as water, just like below a certain threshold all that radioactivity in those bananas you eat is as harmless as water.
Excellent post, all around. There has been a trend in recent years of certain types of people trusting blogs written by lay people rather than actual scientists when it comes to nutrition and and medical information. It's a shame. Thirty minutes on Google is not a replacement for a PhD (or MD).

Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,663,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't need a reason to boycott their products, as I already do because they are leftist radicals.

As to whether this story is true or not does make a difference on several levels. If true, then they are hypocrites making false claims about their products to sell even more to the enviro-weenies.
Plus, if I am not mistaken this chemical might be linked to sterility in different species, including humans.
It was not all that long ago I remember reading some scientists are linking the peril amphibians like frogs are facing being associated to roundup runoff affecting their reproduction.
You do know that Ben & Jerry don't own the company, right? They sold it YEARS ago to Unilever.

How Ben & Jerry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_%26_Jerry%27s

Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,663,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You know how many calories are in one pint of that nastiness?

Over a 1000 calories a pop loaded with fat, milk, sugar, and other nasty stuff besides glyphosate.

Don't eat it.
So don't sit and eat the whole pint at one time. Not that hard of a concept. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Don't ruin it for everyone else. We're ALL going to die someday!

Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Excellent post, all around. There has been a trend in recent years of certain types of people trusting blogs written by lay people rather than actual scientists when it comes to nutrition and and medical information. It's a shame. Thirty minutes on Google is not a replacement for a PhD (or MD).
and is that why scientists working for cosmetic companies allow dangerous products on our shelves daily... you know the ones that make our scalps break out with hair dyes, the creams that can cause blisters or rashes... the perfumes that make others sick.....etc etc...these are passed by so called clever scientists working for companies... and please dont insult me by saying that their is so minute a dose of say formaldehyde in makeup and shampoo that it can do me no harm.... and all the rest of the junk passed by the regulatory bosses... they all stink to high heaven and were being poisoned... so yes Ill shop around and buy items that are safer.. Im not out to make money from others like big companies are.. Im trying to stay fee of junk in foods as well as cosmetics and cleaning products.. as they dont care.. and its the very same with our food..... were having it sprayed with dangerous chemicals when fruit and veg should have warnings on the items to wash well .Beware also ingredients in food packaging as some of the worst chemicals may be listed under other names we dont recognise... and it IS A SHAME a DAMNED SHAME. so you go on reading up on all you can... learn for yourself.. Google might save your health.... Cause is more important than cure... and professionals like doctors and scientists should wisen up and direct people with the proper info about avoidance, but then we might shove them out of a job...Now why would you imagine is formaldehyde which is in some foods as well as loads of other cosmetics etc.. is given another name on the back of a packet..here are some were being kidded with.Formalin
Formic aldehyde
Methanediol
Methanal
Methyl aldehyde
Methylene glycol
Methylene oxide as well as preservatives in food that realease formadehyde.. is it any wonder all cancer rates have soared.. I too trusted well known companies and would buy only the best for myself and my family thinking they would have better safer ingredients.. but no.. dont be fooled , some of the top names like Johnson and Johnson , and top cosmetic companies too , all have dangerous levels of cancer causing junk...

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-15-2017 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,066,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...phosate-2017-7

[b]Ben and Jerry's faces boycott threats after a new study uncovers a major ingredient in weedkillers in ice cream/B]

RETAIL
Ben and Jerry's faces boycott threats after a new study uncovers a major ingredient in weedkillers in ice cream
Kate Taylor Jul 25, 2017, 2:02 PM ET
Ben & Jerry's
Facebook/Ben & Jerry's
There may be an ingredient found in weedkillers in your ice cream.
Ben & Jerry's - a brand famous for its quality and eco-friendly practices - is under fire after a test uncovered a controversial ingredient in its ice cream.

The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) found glyphosate, the main ingredient in weedkillers like Roundup, in 10 out of 11 samples of the company's ice cream flavors, the New York Times reported on Tuesday.

While the levels of glyphosate were well below the legal limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Organic Consumers Association argues that any presence of the pesticide product is misleading and potentially dangerous.
Good I would hate to find some marijuana growing out of my Cherry Garcia!!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 AM

922 posts, read 1,115,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I would eat it. I hate weeds in my ice cream.

I didn't even read past this comment, it made me laugh that much

Ben and Jerry's ice cream is just "meh" anyway. Overly sweet and saturated with bad politics. Or have they taken the bad politics out of it? Maybe that will make it actually taste good enough to eat. Hmmm....

Old 08-15-2017, 08:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,937,111 times
Ben & Jerry's is indeed not organic, nor does it claim to be. They just claim to use milk from cows that were not given growth hormones.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,582,315 times
Ben & Jerry's is no different than any other ice cream and most foods. They get such publicity good and bad because of the nature of their business (bringing politics into it).

Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,357,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
So don't sit and eat the whole pint at one time. Not that hard of a concept. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Don't ruin it for everyone else. We're ALL going to die someday!
Some of us kind-a like the 16 oz single serving containers.

I'm 59. At this point in my life, I've been exposed to so much Monsanto and Bayer miracle agriculture chemistry that I'm not going to sweat a trace amount of Round Up. My dad was a dentist. As a child, we used to play with the mercury. I grew up in a place where a power transformer factory caused massive PCB contamination with the seafood that nobody knew about for decades. Somehow, I doubt Round Up is going to be the root cause of my demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events