Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 08:17 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,918,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I would eat it. I hate weeds in my ice cream.
Except the Cherry Garcia,
that's weed killer resistant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:18 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,574,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That's because Ben & Jerry's isn't B&J's any more.
"Ben & Jerry's Homemade, the quirky ice cream company that made
social consciousness central to its strategy, said yesterday that it had
agreed to be acquired by Unilever, the global giant that owns the
Breyer's and Good Humor brands, for about $326 million in ...Apr 13, 2000"
"it's the power of MONEY!"
Interesting. I noticed some time ago that B&J's had begun to taste different. I stopped buying that brand. I can't stand Artic Zero or Halo. To me they just don't taste like ice cream. In my area we have ice cream shops that make their own. Some can only be had in their little ice cream parlors. I don't know if their ice cream has anything dangerous in it but it tastes like real ice cream and not some ice cream wannabe.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:29 AM

18,674 posts, read 18,968,413 times
Mabye worth a read of what is actually allowed in the US compared to other countries. Banned in Europe, Safe in the U.S. | IFLScience

Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,527,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That's because Ben & Jerry's isn't B&J's any more.
"Ben & Jerry's Homemade, the quirky ice cream company that made
social consciousness central to its strategy, said yesterday that it had
agreed to be acquired by Unilever, the global giant that owns the
Breyer's and Good Humor brands, for about $326 million in ...Apr 13, 2000"
"it's the power of MONEY!"
I'm happy to find out it is just us who don't care for B&J. It's very expensive and it tastes no better than our local Wegman's store brand ice cream. We buy a half-gallon of Wegmans for less money than what a cup of B&J's costs.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,921,854 times
We buy Haagen Das and it's free of most garbage stuff like the stuff that shows up in Ben&Jerry's. Also we go to the local places that make their own ice cream. Local places are proud of their products, they may charge more, but that's because they don't take short cuts and they produce a great product.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,952,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Y'all realize Ben and Jerry's was bought by Unilever years ago, right? First thing they did was re-engineer all the recipes to add fillers and cheaper ingredients, cutting for a higher profit margin. I stopped buying their products as soon as I noticed they reformulated. Ben and Jerry's used to be real ice cream, not 'frozen dairy dessert'.
Do you have data to back that up? AFAICR, Ben & Jerry's has used guar gum and/or carrageenan for as long as I've been aware of their existence, which is since 1982. I don't think these things were a Unilever introduction, though I'm prepared to be proven incorrect.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM

5,808 posts, read 5,156,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your story:

" 'Even if the reported results are accurate, as the laboratory that conducted the test stated, a person would have to consume 145,000 eight-ounce servings PER DAY to reach the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),' the spokesperson said."

Anyone who boycotts the company over this is going to have to stop eating anything.

The amount detected was incredibly small.
This has got to be the most absurd alarmist call to boycott a great company....such BS. Those people who are protesting and boycotting need to find a real job, or do some real good than to protest all day over stupid stuff. This is truly stupid stuff.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:15 AM

34,398 posts, read 18,786,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This has got to be the most absurd alarmist call to boycott a great company....such BS. Those people who are protesting and boycotting need to find a real job, or do some real good than to protest all day over stupid stuff. This is truly stupid stuff.
I boycott Ben & Jerry's for their political stance. I don't care what they put in their ice cream. I've never eaten it. They are old, hippie, commie, hypocrites.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,585,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I boycott Ben & Jerry's for their political stance. I don't care what they put in their ice cream. I've never eaten it. They are old, hippie, commie, hypocrites.
You Left Out, "gay."
"Simple oversight"

Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,585,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Except the Cherry Garcia,
that's weed killer resistant.
Based on this thread that flavor has been renamed, "Berry Jerry".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events