Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM

102,432 posts, read 108,796,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You might want to read up on the difference between a compound and an element.
No, not really, since I wasn't using the word in the chemical sense, but in its more general meaning.

el·e·ment
ˈeləmənt/
noun

noun: element; plural noun: elements;
  1. 1.
    a part or aspect of something, especially one that is essential or characteristic.
    "the death had all the elements of a great tabloid story"
    synonyms:component, constituent, part, section, portion, piece, segment, bit; Moreaspect, factor, feature, facet, ingredient, strand, detail, point;
    member, unit, module, item

But go ahead and nit-pick, if it turns you on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 02:02 AM

33,066 posts, read 36,727,280 times
I buy about 2 pints a year, so I'm good. Mmmm. Tasty.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,332,998 times
Eat your ice cream but worry about your water.

"Unsafe levels of toxic chemicals found in drinking water of 33 states "
“In addition, the actual number of people exposed may be even higher than our study found, because government data for levels of these compounds in drinking water is lacking for almost a third of the U.S. population — about 100 million people.”
Unsafe levels of toxic chemicals found in drinking water of 33 states | Harvard Gazette

"The E.P.A. has compiled a list of 100 potentially risky chemicals and 12 microbes that are known or expected to be found in public water systems, but are not yet regulated."
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/09/u...ationwide.html

Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 AM

18,667 posts, read 18,945,725 times
Its not so much this ice cream, its what the US governement allows in food and other things, things need regulated more closely... but we pass stuff too in the UK that Japan and other countries dont allow...Its up to the public to decide though.... maybe we should be doing more about it. http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...und-world.html could this growth hormone allowed it seems in the US be causing people to get fatter as well as the food its in... Growth hormones rBGH and rBST (found in dairy products)

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-13-2017 at 05:14 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 06:28 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its not so much this ice cream, its what the US governement allows in food and other things, things need regulated more closely... but we pass stuff too in the UK that Japan and other countries dont allow...Its up to the public to decide though.... maybe we should be doing more about it. Foods Americans eat that are banned around the world | Fox News could this growth hormone allowed it seems in the US be causing people to get fatter as well as the food its in... Growth hormones rBGH and rBST (found in dairy products)
You're right and areas of the US that pay attention to labels and ingredients do not have the crazy high obesity rates that we hear about elsewhere. A lot of people don't want to be responsible for themselves, easier to keep their heads in the sand.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 AM

102,432 posts, read 108,796,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its not so much this ice cream, its what the US governement allows in food and other things, things need regulated more closely... but we pass stuff too in the UK that Japan and other countries dont allow...Its up to the public to decide though.... maybe we should be doing more about it. Foods Americans eat that are banned around the world | Fox News could this growth hormone allowed it seems in the US be causing people to get fatter as well as the food its in... Growth hormones rBGH and rBST (found in dairy products)
Thanks for reminding me to stick with organic (non-growth hormone) milk. I'd forgotten about this.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:37 AM

15,185 posts, read 12,351,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Dang! I guess that's why my taste buds went numb after the pint I had this past week.
Naahhhh. You've only got 144, 999 pints to go before that happens.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,139,843 times
I'm safe I don't eat liberal ice cream lol lol lol .

Old 08-13-2017, 02:04 PM

20,978 posts, read 8,754,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I'm safe I don't eat liberal ice cream lol lol lol .
I'm boycotting Ben and Jerry's, too. It's easy because I prefer Haagen Dazs - yummy!

Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 PM

16,828 posts, read 8,807,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your story:

" 'Even if the reported results are accurate, as the laboratory that conducted the test stated, a person would have to consume 145,000 eight-ounce servings PER DAY to reach the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),' the spokesperson said."

Anyone who boycotts the company over this is going to have to stop eating anything.

The amount detected was incredibly small.
I don't need a reason to boycott their products, as I already do because they are leftist radicals.

As to whether this story is true or not does make a difference on several levels. If true, then they are hypocrites making false claims about their products to sell even more to the enviro-weenies.
Plus, if I am not mistaken this chemical might be linked to sterility in different species, including humans.
It was not all that long ago I remember reading some scientists are linking the peril amphibians like frogs are facing being associated to roundup runoff affecting their reproduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events