Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,537,548 times

Advertisements

Well there goes the next flavor B&J were going to launch - 'shoo-bee doobie doo' - a honey and weed laced ice cream. That nasty weed killer is also a buzz killer all in one. 😢
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,725,845 times
I would guess that more people are harmed by the fat content in premium ice cream than a trace amount of glyphosate. As for me, I'm comfortable assuming that NY Super Fudge Chunk is OK to eat.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So compared to other brands of ice cream, does Ben and Jerry's have more/less of this ingredient? Is this amount pretty typical for ice cream, and maybe even low on the scale compared to other brands?

Sometimes, a little information is a dangerous thing. *the sky is falling, the sky is falling*
This. Why focus on B & J's? Most of the milk in the stores, any dairy products in fact, not to mention most beef on the market, will have the same ingredient in it. Now some of you understand why there are people who insist on choosing the non-GMO options for those items.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 PM

22,015 posts, read 25,372,125 times
Whatever

Far more relevant is the fact that they stopped making Coffee Heath Bar Crunch and replaced the Heath Bars with the nastiest tasting chocolate toffee bar I've ever had the displeasure of tasting.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 PM

37,293 posts, read 41,539,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I agree with you. All these people with this sense of bravado that these additives, even poisons don't bother them, lol. No, you won't see any adverse effects immediately and you will probably never even be able to prove what caused you to lose your health but it's a good bet that it's something to do with all these unnatural additives in our foods.

I do believe now that autism is caused by the junk that is in processed foods. More research needs to be done--and not by the companies that sell the junk.

Ben and Jerry's ice cream used to be really good and it was locally owned in Vermont. They sold out to the big guys quite some time ago.

Most ice creams use dairy products that come from cows fed hormones and that's another thing to be avoided, especially by women who have had breast cancer and have been warned by their doctors to keep the estrogen levels low.

No raising of estrogen for me--I had breast cancer.

I found this for reference--lots of bad stuff in most ice creams, things that are banned in other first world countries but I guess they are good enough for Americans:

https://foodbabe.com/2017/05/22/real...e-cream-brand/
Despite all those "unnatural additives in our foods" people are living longer. The biggest risk to health from food is eating too much of it.

Autism is genetic. New autism associated genes are being discovered almost daily. It is a complex interplay of multiple genes acting together.

The "hormone" given to cows to increase milk production is not estrogen. It is a growth hormone specific for cows and must be given by injection, not in feed. Any that ends up in the milk will be digested when eaten by humans, just like that "naturally" produced by the cow. Ben & Jerry uses milk from cows not treated with the hormone.

The dissection of the ice cream labels is another example of trying to frighten people with scary sounding chemical names. By the way, not everyone needs to avoid soy, despite what the "Food Babe" thinks. Ice cream is a dessert. It is not meant to be consumed in large quantities on a daily basis.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/van...arthy-of-food/

Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 PM

696 posts, read 909,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Water is also an ingredient in weedkillers. I find the breathless, panicky hyperbole of the commentary to be ridiculous.

Also, there is no proof that even at extremely high does that glyphosates are dangerous to people.

Uhhh yes there is. Glyphosates are known to be very toxic to people. Have you even read the warnings on a round up bottle?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 PM

37,293 posts, read 41,539,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Uhhh yes there is. Glyphosates are known to be very toxic to people. Have you even read the warnings on a round up bottle?
A bottle of Round Up contains far more than 0.000000002784 ounces of glyphosate. I'll eat the ice cream. I will not drink the Round Up.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 AM

22,015 posts, read 25,372,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
So is water.

I mean, it's vague of course depending what you mean by very toxic. More people may have died drinking otherwise safe water than drinking from drinking Roundup.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,046,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your story:

" 'Even if the reported results are accurate, as the laboratory that conducted the test stated, a person would have to consume 145,000 eight-ounce servings PER DAY to reach the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),' the spokesperson said."

Anyone who boycotts the company over this is going to have to stop eating anything.

The amount detected was incredibly small.
145,000? I accept your challenge! NY Super Fudge Chunk ftw!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:28 AM

11,125 posts, read 5,631,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your story:

" 'Even if the reported results are accurate, as the laboratory that conducted the test stated, a person would have to consume 145,000 eight-ounce servings PER DAY to reach the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),' the spokesperson said."

Anyone who boycotts the company over this is going to have to stop eating anything.

The amount detected was incredibly small.
The poisons in commercial foods add up, after you've eaten them for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events