Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:59 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Reversing would have landed him in the water.
Yep, that's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Yep, that's right.
I've seen people asking this all over the internet. It got me thinking... am I the one who actually doesn't understand how drawbridges work?

Here's one along the northern NJ shore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gw0FMfYzk

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, btw (in another state though):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iod7VOPyoc

Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
The bridge operator was not in contact with the boat and had to open it up in an emergency situation and missed the driver. No indication that the driver went around barriers. Had the bridge operator even seen the car he would have had to decide between opening it up on the car or letting the boat slam into the bridge.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Quote:
I've seen people asking this all over the internet. It got me thinking... am I the one who actually doesn't understand how drawbridges work?

Here's one along the northern NJ shore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gw0FMfYzk

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, btw (in another state though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iod7VOPyoc

Yeah....most are like the one in the clip you posted......the one in question, the NJ Middle Thorofare Bridge though only has one section that pivots up with a counterweight on one end (not 2 separate pivoting section like most).

For those asking if he drove around the warning bar or whatever, I don't think you can 1st of all (I believe it extends the full width of the roadway).....and from everything I've read about this, it seems the bridge operator (supposedly because of sun glare) did not see the vehicle...what I think happened is the lighted warning arm/bar was coming down but the driver got past it before it was fully down to prevent him from proceeding or fully seeing it.....he then had a clear path until he was almost at the rising deck and either panicked or just reacted without fully considering his options in the limited time he had available. For anyone saying he may have done this on purpose (maybe to sue later), that's just plain crazy...he had no way of knowing he could be sure he would make it and/or wasn't gonna kill himself or his family.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM

807 posts, read 689,401 times
Quote:
Reversing would have landed him in the water.
Nope, on this particular bridge there's only one segment that can be raised, so the anchored end is still connected to the rest of the bridge. If the car was coming from the east, it could be jumped over the gap, and if it was coming from the west, it would go off the edge right into the water.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:39 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Nope, on this particular bridge there's only one segment that can be raised, so the anchored end is still connected to the rest of the bridge. If the car was coming from the east, it could be jumped over the gap, and if it was coming from the west, it would go off the edge right into the water.
Does look possible for a vehicle short enough to slide down into the water as the pivot point is not at the extreme end of that section of roadway. The article has a picture.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
The stuff of nightmares, IMO.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Dad Drives Over Open Drawbridge To Save Family As It Begins To Rise - LADbible

That's some real action movie stuff right there....LOL....glad they made it through safe but that landing must've been harsh (car sustained at least $10k in damage.....probably totaled though as I'm sure the frame is bent and all the undercarriage wrecked).

It reminds me of this.....LOL:
You picked the wrong movie! It was clearly a reenactment of the Blues Brothers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOg4aYGtdY

Old 08-21-2017, 10:52 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Does look possible for a vehicle short enough to slide down into the water as the pivot point is not at the extreme end of that section of roadway. The article has a picture.
Seems to be a good deal of misconceptions on this thread. Drawbridges are not like doors that swing on hinges. Instead, there is a pivot point at the fixed part of the bridge deck. While the part of the draw span that you drive on is going up, another part of it that you don't see, underneath the fixed bridge, is going down. And there is a gap between the draw span and the fixed span. It may not be wide enough to slip through down to the water, but it's certainly wide enough to slide into and have your car's roof decapitated.

Whenever you see a car jump a twin-span drawbridge in a movie, if you look closely you'll see that they've covered up the gap between the draw span and the fixed span, so that the car can land safely on the other side. In real life, a car jumping over a twin-span drawbridge will come down the other wide and find itself wedged in between the opposite-side draw span and fixed span. A guy I knew in high school found this out the hard way, at the cost of his life.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:10 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
It's too bad there wasn't video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events