Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,067,777 times

Advertisements

Dad Drives Over Open Drawbridge To Save Family As It Begins To Rise - LADbible

That's some real action movie stuff right there....LOL....glad they made it through safe but that landing must've been harsh (car sustained at least $10k in damage.....probably totaled though as I'm sure the frame is bent and all the undercarriage wrecked).

It reminds me of this.....LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1wcnvDpdVU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,053,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

That's some real action movie stuff right there....LOL....glad they made it through safe but that landing must've been harsh (car sustained at least $10k in damage.....probably totaled though as I'm sure the frame is bent and all the undercarriage wrecked).

News anchor in that link: "minor" damage. You call $10,000 worth of repairs MINOR?

Old 08-19-2017, 11:52 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Don't try this at home, kids. Especially not in your parents' car.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:58 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,805,676 times
Lawsuit!

Probably looked like this

https://youtu.be/KX-01aGVfz0

Old 08-19-2017, 03:30 PM

15,502 posts, read 9,200,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

Why would he jump the car over the water, rather than just put it in reverse and back down the ramp? Even if he stopped and the car slide back down the ramp and crashed, that would be less risky than taking a chance on ending up in the water.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:49 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,037,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Why would he jump the car over the water, rather than just put it in reverse and back down the ramp? Even if he stopped and the car slide back down the ramp and crashed, that would be less risky than taking a chance on ending up in the water.
I don't understand this either. Don't those bridges operate pretty slowly?

Old 08-19-2017, 04:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,386,677 times
I guess he was moving along at 55-ish? Hard to hit reverse when you're moving at the speed limit.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
This is what I was wondering. It was more risky to gun it forward than to back up. If everyone were wearing seat belts, even on the off chance that the car would flip upside down when backing up (if the bridge rose too fast so the angle got too steep), they'd come out of it ok. Their seatbelts would keep them in their seats.

I think some people watch too many car chases on TV.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I guess he was moving along at 55-ish? Hard to hit reverse when you're moving at the speed limit.
That's what the brake is for. It all depends on where he was, when the bridge started rising. But you're right that, depending on circumstances, it could have been a hard decision to make in a split-second, like that. If h was going 55, he wouldn't have been able to stop in time & throw it in reverse, I guess. What a horrible position to be in, to have to make that decision, with people depending on you!

But the other option would have been to honk like crazy to wake up the idiot in the bridge tower.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:00 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,193,684 times
Quote:
Why would he jump the car over the water, rather than just put it in reverse and back down the ramp?...
Well, sure - that might work if they were standing still.

Presumably, the RAV4 was moving at good clip, and was already on the bridge section that was rising.
remember - braking distance. A vehicle doesn't just magically come to a stop. It takes time, and distance. Even if they were only going 40 mph, the braking distance would have been 80 feet. You've got a split second to decide - "can I stop in time" - misjudge that - and you end up in the drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events