Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:57 AM

902 posts, read 871,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The coffee was sold at scalding temperatures, much hotter than necessary and she also attempted to settle the case for much less than she was ultimately awarded but the company refused. People should read up on that case before using it as an example of American greed and/or stupidity. Her injuries were extremely severe.
Agreed^^^ The ignorance of the typical American is breath taking. What's sad is that these masses of ignoramuses breed. Sadder yet is that they can vote. Why doesn't our education system teach independent thought? Why do people not question what they read or hear? I equate "flat earthers" with "hot coffee" folks. They are both on the same train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,671,957 times
This is horrific!

Why don't elevators have sensors to prevent them from moving if something is in the door? I realize it could malfunction so maybe they do have these?

Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,180,593 times
Not to side track the OP, but the coffee business was totally the woman's fault. The hot, or too hot, or cold, coffee would never come into play if she hadn't spilled it. SHE made the error that cost her burns, not the coffee company.

Of course those people defending her are also the people that wish to sue gun manufacturers for producing a gun if it is used to kill someone. Let's put the blame where it should be.... personal responsibility.

Now, that poor woman in the elevator. Whole different ball game for that family. Certainly worth of a lawsuit.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM

9,159 posts, read 14,856,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is horrific!

Why don't elevators have sensors to prevent them from moving if something is in the door? I realize it could malfunction so maybe they do have these?
They do have those sensors. At least in the US and I beleive most other countries as well. One of the main reasons elevators "break down" and need maintenance is not the mechanical workings of them but the fact that sensors fail into a state where actions cannot be confirmed and the system shuts down even though it's working fine otherwise.

Maybe 15 years ago a very similar situation occurred in NYC. An elevator was stuck short of a floor and some building staff were assisting people who were trying to get out through an opened door. During their egress, an elevator mechanic who was in the machine room and could not see the car, jumpered the door sensor without letting anyone know and the car started to move.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 AM

7,008 posts, read 4,025,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is horrific!

Maybe they should go back to the old-fashioned ones where the elevator doesn't move if the gate is open.

I lived in a college dorm building that was built in 1908, so it had an elevator like that. People were always getting off it and forgetting to close the gate, so it would be stuck at the floor it was on when they exited.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM

79,237 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
They do have those sensors. At least in the US and I beleive most other countries as well. One of the main reasons elevators "break down" and need maintenance is not the mechanical workings of them but the fact that sensors fail into a state where actions cannot be confirmed and the system shuts down even though it's working fine otherwise.

Maybe 15 years ago a very similar situation occurred in NYC. An elevator was stuck short of a floor and some building staff were assisting people who were trying to get out through an opened door. During their egress, an elevator mechanic who was in the machine room and could not see the car, jumpered the door sensor without letting anyone know and the car started to move.
Yeah, I had to get off an elevator last year that was about 2 feet uneven with the exit floor. When I got off I made sure I moved FAST. If I'd had to climb or crawl out I would have politely declined and waited an hour if need be.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:04 AM

3,985 posts, read 8,241,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The coffee was sold at scalding temperatures, much hotter than necessary and she also attempted to settle the case for much less than she was ultimately awarded but the company refused. People should read up on that case before using it as an example of American greed and/or stupidity. Her injuries were extremely severe.
But just maybe she shouldn't have tried to hold the cup between her legs. That is why every car is equipped with drink holders. I really do not think anyone from McDonalds spilled it /poured the coffee on her. I think we all have to take some responsibility for how we handle things, too. Most of us would not have even considered suing and chalked it up to our own stupidity.

Most of us with a brain realize that coffee is hot-even your own coffee out of the pot at home is hot. We let it cool a little or add an ice cube or cool water from the faucet before we drink. We know better than to drive with it stuck between our legs. I guess she was lucky a voice of reason was not on the jury.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,600,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But just maybe she shouldn't have tried to hold the cup between her legs. That is why every car is equipped with drink holders. I really do not think anyone from McDonalds spilled it /poured the coffee on her. I think we all have to take some responsibility for how we handle things, too. Most of us would not have even considered suing and chalked it up to our own stupidity.

Most of us with a brain realize that coffee is hot-even your own coffee out of the pot at home is hot. We let it cool a little or add an ice cube or cool water from the faucet before we drink. We know better than to drive with it stuck between our legs. I guess she was lucky a voice of reason was not on the jury.
I agree. We all know coffee is hot. From McD's, it is scalding hot. She would have known that if she'd ever bought a coffee from there before. SO: She knew it was hot when she placed it between her legs.

She was just a dumb-ass who got burned from her own stupidity. Can I sue GE when I burn myself on my stove because it was hot when I put my hand on it? Same thing IMO.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:46 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,232,561 times
WOW.......and all this time, people are saying how great the medical care is in Spain, how cheap it is to get hip replacements.

Well, now we know where they cut, errrrrrr, reduced the cost!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:11 AM

16,917 posts, read 10,662,894 times
You would think that with all of this time and technology we could make elevators that suck less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events