Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
'Tis better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

As you likely are unaware, common sense is the most uncommon of all. I'll leave the analysis to legal experts in our country.

If you had done any serious reading about this and/or other cases, you wouldn't be bothering everyone else with your "common sense". You would also experience some cognitive dissonance and perhaps question your own beliefs. As with most folks, they'd rather be "right" than to ever admit being wrong.

Good luck. You're gonna need it...
You may find it surprising how many people are just like you. Have you read what you espouse? How do you extricate yourself from your own paintings? (Ah, but you never do, right?)

Thanks for the good luck wish, I have found after 70+ years of life, career, and retirement they are always worth collecting. All those wishes piled end to end make a wonderful life even as I now look from the short end.

Peace my verbose, highly aware forumite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 PM

78,394 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Thanks Campfire, but I'll stick to common sense and leave the psycho.... analysis to others.
Common sense dictates that she indeed suffered significant injury from that incident.

If you want to rail about the tort system over abuses there are many valid cases but this one isn't one of them.

How hard is it to look into the facts and re-evaluate your position?

Many times I've participated in threads here where I ended up learning something I thought was different.

Frankly, it's a sign of a mature and smart individual to recognize that they're aren't right about everything.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Kinda ridiculous but thats a helluva way to go..

Old 08-25-2017, 01:38 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Common sense dictates that she indeed suffered significant injury from that incident.

If you want to rail about the tort system over abuses there are many valid cases but this one isn't one of them.

How hard is it to look into the facts and re-evaluate your position?

Many times I've participated in threads here where I ended up learning something I thought was different.

Frankly, it's a sign of a mature and smart individual to recognize that they're aren't right about everything.
Exactly!

Old 08-25-2017, 02:08 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
There are two types of safety switches involving elevator doors. The first is the old style catch edge. This is a rail that drops before the door starts closing. If this rail is pushed back into the elevator door then the doors should open. The second is a photo sensor. You break an invisible beam and the doors automatically open. These doors should also have a pressure switch that senses a certain amount of resistance on the doors and begin opening the doors again. Even if any of the above fails, the elevator should not run with the doors open. There is a door interlock switch that must be engaged to complete the circuit for the elevator to run.

At our hospital we test these things every month and are supported by our supervisors when we shut one down when we find a safety violation. Some buildings don't perform such routine checks nor do they contract with certified elevator service companies. Instead they rely on the building's general maintenance people to make repairs. This is very dangerous because of the complexity of elevator safety systems. Some people find it easier to just bypass the safety circuits instead of fixing the problem. Fixing the problem isn't easy because the problem could be one of any number of relays or even dirty contacts at any of the floors. An elevator mechanic can identify which relay is bad and replace or clean the part instead of bypassing a safety.

Every month we ride the elevators to every floor going up and down, test the door safety switch, test emergency telephone, make note of any burnt lights, and ensure it stops within a quarter inch of level with the floors. We also feel for any unusual vibration or noise. I've shut down an elevator because a door safety didn't work and because it made a hard vibration when moving. We contact a contractor for repairs right away.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 AM

9 posts, read 4,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
What a horrible way to die, and literally right after she gave birth...

Mom, 26, cut in half when elevator reportedly malfunctions in freak accident | Fox News

Old 08-25-2017, 06:10 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Horrific. Luckily the hospitals where my wife gave birth via C-section the operating rooms were on the same floor as the recovery rooms.
This. I gave birth via c-section late last year and they just wheeled me down the hall to my room. That poor woman. Got to be a horrifying way to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events