Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If what they are saying is true, the woman pulled her gun because her child was being attacked. And she was trying to neutralize it. Not how I would do it...but if my kid was being attacked and I had a gun, I would pull it.

Time will tell with the investigation.
Pulling a weapon escalates the situation, it never "neutralizes" it.

Her daughter should have walked away BEFORE the altercation got physical. It's always better to make the other party look like they are the spazzy one in squabbles as petty as this ine was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:01 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
"At one point, the 20 year-old woman ended up on the ground being assaulted by the two women," Baetens told the Daily News. "Her mother tried to break it up but she couldn't," he said. “She pulls out her firearm and tells them to stop attacking her daughter while pointing the gun at them,” Baetens said.

This is not over a notebook, as in "I saw it first so I'm getting it or I'll shoot". This is about defending her daughter. The mother was licensed to carry the gun.

This is how rumors and "false news" get started and why the masses get all up in arms. The media posts or reads a misleading headline, people don't read the full story or miss important information, and the s**t hits the fan.

Anyone familiar with the song "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley? So true, even today. Nothing has changed.
Exactly. But the apple didn't fall too far from the tree here. Her daughter should have been mature enough not to get into a shoving match over something that can be bought at any store that sells stationary/school supplies. Both of them have very little grasp of the concept of proportion and knowing how to pick one's battles in a prudent manner. There are very few things in this life worth getting into a physical altercation over, a NOTEBOOK is not one of them.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:25 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Pulling a weapon escalates the situation, it never "neutralizes" it.

Her daughter should have walked away BEFORE the altercation got physical. It's always better to make the other party look like they are the spazzy one in squabbles as petty as this ine was.
So it's the victim's fault? So you call the police. How much of a beating do you take before the police get there?

Old 09-02-2017, 07:37 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So it's the victim's fault? So you call the police. How much of a beating do you take before the police get there?
When seconds count, the police will be there in a few minutes.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
I think I would have walked away long before this escalated. Then I've never really understood the need to get into physical altercations either. Some people thrive on that. I was at a volunteer school activity a couple of years ago. Three moms were talking about getting into physical fights with other moms. That was a wow moment.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:56 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
This is a wonderful time of the year in Las Vegas because you get Back-to-School specials at the corner liquor store.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Red, yellow, purple, light blue and one dark blue wide ruled notebook-reinforced holes is best (but they are sold out of 2 of those colors...and the light blue ones don't come in reinforced holes!!)
2 pink erasers (when they only come in a pack of 3 or 6 )
3 2 inch binders
2 3 inch binders (wait...what...I mean...did I read that right?)
48 pre-sharpened pencils (great, I can either buy this box for $1.99 and sharpen them or buy this box for $5.49 that's pre-sharpened. Hello carpal tunnel.)
1 pencil sharpener (well...I guess I need to buy one anyways to sharpen all those pencils before school starts)
earbuds - please label (HOWWWWWW)
3 boxes of Kleenex - no aloe or lotions (all the plain is totally sold out except for the crappy store brand. I am going to look so cheep)
Markers (ok there are 1000000000 different choices and NOW you aren't super specific?)
It's arbitrary crap like this that destroys the last shred of sympathy I have toward teachers and their complaints. Especially considering that school districts serve one geographic area, pitting parents against each other as they compete to buy obnoxious quantities of limited supplies.

It's your classroom; run it like a business! That means if you don't have something, make do or do without! Don't demand scarce items, and then complain that kids aren't learning. It's like punching someone in the face, handing them an ice pack, and saying you're being nice.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's arbitrary crap like this that destroys the last shred of sympathy I have toward teachers and their complaints. Especially considering that school districts serve one geographic area, pitting parents against each other as they compete to buy obnoxious quantities of limited supplies.

It's your classroom; run it like a business! That means if you don't have something, make do or do without! Don't demand scarce items, and then complain that kids aren't learning. It's like punching someone in the face, handing them an ice pack, and saying you're being nice.
A lot of times it isn't the teachers making these demands, it's the school or school district. A list gets put out out there, but it doesn't fit the individual needs of the classroom. The classroom has other needs. You get sent back out to shop some more. The teachers will usually work with you if you don't have something and can't find it in the store.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:22 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
A lot of times it isn't the teachers making these demands, it's the school or school district. A list gets put out out there, but it doesn't fit the individual needs of the classroom. The classroom has other needs. You get sent back out to shop some more. The teachers will usually work with you if you don't have something and can't find it in the store.
If what you're saying is true, then the school districts are throwing teachers under the bus. Still, supply lists vary from classroom to classroom, as opposed to being the same across the board per grade level. Which makes you wonder . I'm also pretty much convinced that Ticonderoga, Crayola, Mead, etc. are lobbying school districts, to pad their supply requirement lists.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:14 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Middle/High school is awesome. All I really needed to buy was a few pencils, notebooks/paper, pens and maybe a calculator depending on the math classes. Elementary school "back-to-school" lists were ridiculously long and college had those expensive textbooks (yuck).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events