Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:01 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,833 times

Advertisements

Two women in a suburan Michigan town became involved in a dispute about a notebook for purchase. One woman pulls a gun and they all have to leave the store.

This is over a notebook. This is Wal-Mart.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3461109
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 01:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Pistol-packing Mama and her daughter also ended up with the notebook, according to the article.

SMH... it's a notebook. Bound sheaf of lined paper intended to be a place where you write stuff down that is important. WTH was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo special about this one that Little Miss gets her hair pulled and Mom pulls out a gun because her daughter is getting picked on????? Why didn't they just go to another store if this one was the last one on the shelf?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Pistol-packing Mama and her daughter also ended up with the notebook, according to the article.

SMH... it's a notebook. Bound sheaf of lined paper intended to be a place where you write stuff down that is important. WTH was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo special about this one that Little Miss gets her hair pulled and Mom pulls out a gun because her daughter is getting picked on????? Why didn't they just go to another store if this one was the last one on the shelf?
I agree. Surely, there had to be other notebooks to purchase. If not, then go elsewhere?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Ok, I totally get it. Back to school shopping is freaking chaotic. Long lists of specific types and colors and brands of items. 20, 30 sometimes 40 different items. And everyone is focusing and trying to get through this crazy scavenger hunt that is clearly meant to punish parents.

Red, yellow, purple, light blue and one dark blue wide ruled notebook-reinforced holes is best (but they are sold out of 2 of those colors...and the light blue ones don't come in reinforced holes!!)
2 pink erasers (when they only come in a pack of 3 or 6 )
3 2 inch binders
2 3 inch binders (wait...what...I mean...did I read that right?)
48 pre-sharpened pencils (great, I can either buy this box for $1.99 and sharpen them or buy this box for $5.49 that's pre-sharpened. Hello carpal tunnel.)
1 pencil sharpener (well...I guess I need to buy one anyways to sharpen all those pencils before school starts)
earbuds - please label (HOWWWWWW)
3 boxes of Kleenex - no aloe or lotions (all the plain is totally sold out except for the crappy store brand. I am going to look so cheep)
Markers (ok there are 1000000000 different choices and NOW you aren't super specific?)

And so on and so forth. And then if you are shopping for several kids...forget about it. It is hell. First world's problems hell, hell none the less. I am guessing most people are primed for a fight half way through the experience.

I don't mind paying for school supplies. I do not want my kid's teachers to have to, so I am more then pleased to do so. But its a bloody nightmare.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ok, I totally get it. Back to school shopping is freaking chaotic. Long lists of specific types and colors and brands of items. 20, 30 sometimes 40 different items. And everyone is focusing and trying to get through this crazy scavenger hunt that is clearly meant to punish parents.

Red, yellow, purple, light blue and one dark blue wide ruled notebook-reinforced holes is best (but they are sold out of 2 of those colors...and the light blue ones don't come in reinforced holes!!)
2 pink erasers (when they only come in a pack of 3 or 6 )
3 2 inch binders
2 3 inch binders (wait...what...I mean...did I read that right?)
48 pre-sharpened pencils (great, I can either buy this box for $1.99 and sharpen them or buy this box for $5.49 that's pre-sharpened. Hello carpal tunnel.)
1 pencil sharpener (well...I guess I need to buy one anyways to sharpen all those pencils before school starts)
earbuds - please label (HOWWWWWW)
3 boxes of Kleenex - no aloe or lotions (all the plain is totally sold out except for the crappy store brand. I am going to look so cheep)
Markers (ok there are 1000000000 different choices and NOW you aren't super specific?)

And so on and so forth. And then if you are shopping for several kids...forget about it. It is hell. First world's problems hell, hell none the less. I am guessing most people are primed for a fight half way through the experience.

I don't mind paying for school supplies. I do not want my kid's teachers to have to, so I am more then pleased to do so. But its a bloody nightmare.
I agree with you. However, to pull a gun on someone for a notebook should not be an every day occurrence. Nor should it ever happen.

I don't get the gun part. What good will going to jail (as will likely be the case) to your children? What's worse? Mom the jail bird; or mom couldn't get the last tablet?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
I agree with you. However, to pull a gun on someone for a notebook should not be an every day occurrence. Nor should it ever happen.

I don't get the gun part. What good will going to jail (as will likely be the case) to your children? What's worse? Mom the jail bird; or mom couldn't get the last tablet?
If what they are saying is true, the woman pulled her gun because her child was being attacked. And she was trying to neutralize it. Not how I would do it...but if my kid was being attacked and I had a gun, I would pull it.

Time will tell with the investigation.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
Yes. Mama was protecting her adult daughter who was getting her ass kicked by 2 other women. Mama tried to intervene and she got shoved away .
Hence pulling out her gun.
Not defending her, but she made the choice to defend her daughter who was in danger.
I don't think any lawyer is going to want to touch this with a 10 ft pole.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 PM

I never knew that being pushed/shoved was cause for pulling a gun out on someone. I used to get pushed/shoved in the city on the way to work everyday. That's not an assault. She wasn't defending herself (woman with gun); she pulled a gun on the other women because they were arguing/shoving her daughter out of the way.

A gun? It wasn't right and I don't care how you try to spin it. A gun was NOT necessary.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Human life is valued by a shove/push........

Had fists started flying, I would have just called the police. I would not have pulled a gun. You don't pull a gun unless you're ready to use it.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
"At one point, the 20 year-old woman ended up on the ground being assaulted by the two women," Baetens told the Daily News. "Her mother tried to break it up but she couldn't," he said. “She pulls out her firearm and tells them to stop attacking her daughter while pointing the gun at them,” Baetens said.

This is not over a notebook, as in "I saw it first so I'm getting it or I'll shoot". This is about defending her daughter. The mother was licensed to carry the gun.

This is how rumors and "false news" get started and why the masses get all up in arms. The media posts or reads a misleading headline, people don't read the full story or miss important information, and the s**t hits the fan.

Anyone familiar with the song "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley? So true, even today. Nothing has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events