Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

On this forum, we aren't the only ones calling BS on this whole story. A guy I work with is a serious sailboat racer and is on those forums. He says immediately all of the people on those forums started saying this was a made up story and not factual.

Looks like this is starting to come crashing down on these two liars. The dogs are the only honest ones on board, and they ain't talkin'.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:53 AM

120 posts, read 72,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's a bit like calling Tour de France a recreational activity because a fat out of shape drunk guy can ride a bicycle.

Competitive off-shore sailors have to possess considerable physical and mental stamina - to say nothing of the skills, knowledge and talent. International-level dinghy sailors are some of the most absurdly fit individuals on the planet.
Sorry dude. I am very familiar with sailing. It is a recreational activity. No talent needed. It's a learned skill simple enough for a drunk person to do.

Of course you have to be more in shape to sail a dinghy. Those things are a bit** when they capsize because they are so awkward.

But it's not impressive.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Your logic is a little skewed there. By your thinking, auto racing isn't a sport, because any fat, out of shape guy can do it. Same with bobsledding, or boat racing, or any other "recreational activity".
I don't consider auto racing to be a sport. I consider it to be a skill. And people who do it well to be skilled drivers.

I'm not familiar with bobsledding so no comment there.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Racing takes a lot of skill and knowledge. Same with long-distance sailing. That's the difference between a recreational activity, and a sport. A sport requires tremendous discipline, stamina, and knowledge about one's equipment, and conditions that affect the equipment and performance. Experience, of course, is essential.

There was a Dutch teenager who quit school to sail around the world. She sailed through extremely challenging conditions, and did an expert job of navigating. She reached her goal. She was able to do it, because her father had raised her sailing with him, so she felt very at home on the sea.

These women, in contrast, couldn't sail their way out of a paper bag.

I am very familiar with sailing. I do not consider it to be a sport and I do not consider sailors to be athletes. They are just people that sail. So it's not impressive to me. People are only impressive if they have the ability to do something that I can't. Like I am impressed by mc Kayla maroney's vault because I can't do it and I can't learn how to do it. But anyone can learn how to sail. If it's something any drunken Joe Shmoe can do if they learn how and try no body is impressed and no body cares.

Isn't it funny how the point is that it's unimpressive and I used mc Kayla as an example. Lol.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Not disagreeing with you about the girls not being impressive, but any activity that requires some strenuous effort is well beyond just a recreational activity.
In some ways, sailing can be just that, an afternoon sailing and relaxing, beer in hand.
OTOH, there are times when sailing can require skills, physical effort, and complete attention to the work at hand or you will surely die.
I'm still not impressed.
And it's not something I consider to be a sport.
Because it's not.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
I am very familiar with sailing. I do not consider it to be a sport and I do not consider sailors to be athletes. They are just people that sail. So it's not impressive to me. People are only impressive if they have the ability to do something that I can't. Like I am impressed by mc Kayla maroney's vault because I can't do it and I can't learn how to do it. But anyone can learn how to sail. If it's something any drunken Joe Shmoe can do if they learn how and try no body is impressed and no body cares.

Isn't it funny how the point is that it's unimpressive and I used mc Kayla as an example. Lol.
I don't think you understand what a sport is and what recreational activities are.

I can go out every weekend and play football with my friends. That doesn't make me a football player. Its just a recreational activity for me.

People who go out sailing on weekends a few times a year are just having fun. The sailors that actually race and compete are athletes. They train, they have to be in shape. Big difference.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I don't think you understand what a sport is and what recreational activities are.

I can go out every weekend and play football with my friends. That doesn't make me a football player. Its just a recreational activity for me.

People who go out sailing on weekends a few times a year are just having fun. The sailors that actually race and compete are athletes. They train, they have to be in shape. Big difference.
Whatever. People claim that chess is a sport too so its not like I'm shocked that people claim that sailing is a sport.
I just don't agree that it is. And I don't agree that sailers are athletes.

And no, they don't have to be in shape to race. They don't even have to be sober.
I am familiar with racing.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:43 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
Whatever. People claim that chess is a sport too so its not like I'm shocked that people claim that sailing is a sport.
I just don't agree that it is. And I don't agree that sailers are athletes.

And no, they don't have to be in shape to race. They don't even have to be sober.
I am familiar with racing.
lol ok then

At least you are funny!

Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Do you have a link that she added six tons of fiberglass?
It is in this article.

After Navy Rescue Of Sailors Adrift At Sea, The Story Gets Stranger : The Two-Way : NPR

Quote:
The AP reports that Appel said she had modified the boat with 6 tons of fiberglass to make the hull stronger and had extended its keel to add stability.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:49 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I buy that, but that is what she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events