Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,563,569 times

Advertisements

Poor dogs-- they didn't sign up for that crap.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Now they are saying that sharks had an organized attack on their boat?
Twice in fact!
Apparently no one at any of the networks has a functioning BS detector.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,030,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Poor dogs-- they didn't sign up for that crap.
Do you think they checked the pet import rules? Odds are the dogs would have to be quarantined for months on arrival.

(And Tahiti does not do quarantine, so the dogs would have to be send off to different country to have it done, on there $'s . Since they probably could not pay for the transport, boarding/quarantine fees, the dogs would be put down. )

Old 10-28-2017, 05:38 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Do you think they checked the pet import rules? Odds are the dogs would have to be quarantined for months on arrival.
(And Tahiti does not do quarantine, so the dogs would have to be send off to different country to have it done, on there $'s . Since they probably could not pay for the transport, boarding/quarantine fees, the dogs would be put down. )
If they end up in Japan there will be issues!
https://www.petrelocation.com/blog/p...n-import-rules

Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
I am not a sailor and have only rudimentary knowledge of operating a seagoing vessel.
But I do know about people. Just the fact that the woman who was in charge of the boat (Appel?) did not appear to be in any distress when doing interviews looked suspicious.

Not to be un-pc, but her companion did not appear to have suffered any dietary deficiency. They jokingly spoke of how this was her first time on a boat.

The dogs looked fine and happy. That’s not a very big boat to allow dogs free rein to exercise.

Sharks attacking the boat, and they just managed to be rescued 24 hours before they would die?

And again. The mast on the boat did not appear to be damaged at all. Engine damage, yet they couldn’t sail a SAILBOAT?

And, as I’ve heard in several reports regarding this event, their main sustenance was “oatmeal “?

Sorry. I don’t buy it.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:34 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,798,915 times
My guess is reality show.

Reminds me of this story:https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-...-reality-deal/

Even Tom Hanks managed to rig a sail (and build a raft) and he had a lot less to work with.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:22 AM

531 posts, read 385,444 times
I feel bad for the dogs.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 17,360,287 times
Lots of great comments and observations made in this thread! It's one of the reasons I hang around here.

I'm a skeptic. I don't think things happened exactly as reported. Something happened, but not what they claimed.

I have a small collection of books. For everyone who loves sea tales:
In The Heart of The Sea, is the story of the whaleship Essex, and how the survivors managed to do so. The story was the inspiration for Moby Dick. In that book we learn what survivors of disasters actually look like.

I have two different accounts of the story of Alexander Selkirk, who was the inspiration for Robinson Crusoe. One is a short account written by the captain who found Selkirk and the other is based on historical research - both are old and out of print.

Adrift - Seventy Six Days Lost at Sea, is the story of Steven Callahan, whose sailboat was probably rammed by a whale. Callahan's knowledge and determination saved him. Survivalists could learn a thing or two from Callahan. He navigated his liferaft using ocean currents and a protractor that he made! BTW, when he landed, the people wept when they saw what terrible shape he appeared to be in.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 17,360,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
No jib. Looks like only a track. Main is there.

Fuel range varies. Many long haul sail boats can do thousands of miles. Particularly larger ones.

The boat was purportedly a 50 footer. Does not look that big to me.

Be interesting when one of the sailing magazines writes it up.

But I also remain skeptical.
I looked again, thanks.
But isn't that the clew of the jib about 8 feet above the deck? And don't I see the faint outline of two sheets attached to it?
Looks like it to me, anyway.

The mast is equipped with steps. So it seems like they could have run some sort of emergency halyard and sail.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:18 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

it sounds like they failed to check a number of crucial things, and weren't well-prepared or experienced, much. One of the women, apparently, had never been on a boat before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events