Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 AM

138 posts, read 115,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
But that's the problem. Bullies are getting off scott-free. They are not getting any "help". It happens every day over and over. CHILDREN are killing themselves from being bullied. The bullies feel no remorse...have NO empathy and go on bullying. Parents are not teaching their children NOT to bully (some actually defend their children), schools are not disciplining bullies, and no one is helping the victims. This was a pretty horrific example of bullying. The kind of rage to break someone's skull (as well as the other damage to the victim) is pretty intense.
Really? There are many examples out there of schools properly disciplining bullies. Unfortunately, we seem to have people who want middle schools and high schools to enact the death penalty on them. What more do you want the school to do? Students get expelled for serious examples for this all the time and suspended for lesser offense all the time. Kicking them off sports teams, when applicable, can be damaging to that student's future as well. Those stories don't make the national or even local media because they do not have the "wow" factor. If Johnny in smalltown, any state got kicked off the football team, how likely are national medias running with that story. They're are so many examples of Johnny, that the story is not interesting. Get a story like this incident, and it's going to attract emotion.

My previous post in this thread got misinterpreted as me defending bullies. Of course I am not. I have a big issue with people acting as if nothing happens to them, or people who want their punishment to be excessive. Punishment needs to fit the crime, in the example of the OP, the punishment should be greater, of course. But not all examples of bullying are that excessive. In America, we have due process. The incident needs to properly investigated, because the last thing you want is something to be done wrong by the school because they were rushing the investigation to ease the minds of people who want instant gratification, and for that wrong thing that is done to be able to be capitalized on by the bully.

Though I will say, I am also tired of everything being classified as "bullying". What happened in this incident was not "bullying", it was first-degree assault.

There's another part of bullying I'd like to touch on but this is not really the thread for it... many bullies were bullied at one time. And that's why they feel no remorse.

It all starts with the parents, and THEN the schools furthering that bullying is unacceptable when the kids are young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM

723 posts, read 1,011,405 times
Default As seen on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
Incredible that no one stood up to help but decided to record the incident instead. When are we going to stop protecting minors? Publish their names! The bully should be charged with attempted murder and thrown in jail.

Ridgewood Teen's Skull Fractured Defending Girl In Cyber-Bullying Incident | Ridgewood Daily Voice
People, can be kid's or adults have no idea how easy it is severly injure on even kill somebody just by hitting them because on TV it is so exaggerated and kids have been desensitized to violence from TV, movies and especially video games. I know an adult who is going to jail for hitting a kid with a baseball bat who scratched his car.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,141,541 times
Quote:
Amen and if some of these young women would stop having babies when they are babies and not knowing how to raise a productive member of society a lot of this would go away.]
You just preached that gospel right here. I'm sick of seeing babies having babies like it's a sport.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 AM

9,832 posts, read 11,630,288 times
Until we address the Mental Health Problems in this country on go after the Big Pharmaceuticals, Situations likes these, Mass shootings will just become the norm.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,457,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
Really? There are many examples out there of schools properly disciplining bullies. Unfortunately, we seem to have people who want middle schools and high schools to enact the death penalty on them. What more do you want the school to do? Students get expelled for serious examples for this all the time and suspended for lesser offense all the time. Kicking them off sports teams, when applicable, can be damaging to that student's future as well. Those stories don't make the national or even local media because they do not have the "wow" factor. If Johnny in smalltown, any state got kicked off the football team, how likely are national medias running with that story. They're are so many examples of Johnny, that the story is not interesting. Get a story like this incident, and it's going to attract emotion.
Many people don't want bullies to be expelled or kicked off sports teams, though. I still believe that more often, the victim is punished rather than the person who started the fight. My ex-BF's son was attacked by a bully at school, and didn't fight back. He reported it to the principal's office, and was sent home for the day.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM

269 posts, read 483,812 times
Ridgewood is a wealthy and very snooty town. My friend lives there and has kids in the school. Not only is the school not taking a stand against the bully, the majority of parents in the town are defending this bully. I find the whole thing disgusting. Privileged, entitled, preppy white boy commits egregious crime and gets off scott free.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM

2,506 posts, read 2,520,197 times
Remember this email where a Ridgewood middle school principal was begging parents to get their middle schoolers off social media

Principal Asks Parents To Ban Social Networking To Prevent Cyber-Bullying – Adweek

Old 11-06-2017, 03:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 12,568,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Doesn't appear like it will. Cyberbullying isn;t cool either, and I'd never do that to a minor, BUT if tough guy is so big and bad, I'm sure he could handle some cyber trashtalk, seeing how he is such the badazz.
I can;t see sticking up for someone like that, but we can agree to disagree on that.

All I know is that if my loved one gets hurt by a bully, Irreversible fire extinguisher treatment to the bullies parents, for sure
It says that police are investigating. Just because they don't kick the door down and haul them all in right away, doesn't mean charges aren't coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure why bullying is such a big problem right now, bullies have always been around, I remember a handful of them from middle school, but no one ever committed suicide over it or had any major injuries. It was just something we had to deal with, it was like an unwritten rule among kids.
The difference was you could leave, go home, whatever...With social media they have access 24/7, and kids can do things they really couldn't years ago. And telling them to get rid of their social media accounts isn't going to work either.

The other thing (I think) is that as far as I understand it, kids aren't really taught that its ok to defend themselves anymore.

In any case, a physical bully is bad, but eventually most of them get handled in short order. Someone who is verbally quick and mean hearted can do far more damage...

Old 11-06-2017, 03:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,100,018 times
IMO you forfeit the right to be treated like a child when you bludgeon someone so badly they have a fracture skull, and potentially lose sight in one eye.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:58 PM

2,506 posts, read 2,520,197 times
The zero tolerance policies haven't helped either. If you defend yourself, you can get in as much trouble as the kid who started it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events