Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 AM

811 posts, read 622,545 times

Advertisements

Someone PLEASE tell me how the Sam Hill this stuff happens?!

Did the mom leave the keys in it while the engine was running?

How does an 8 year-old have the chutzpah to "drive" a car?

Is this child a product of little to no discipline at home? (I can almost PROMISE you this was not a stand-alone event! No respectful child does something remotely like this without working their way up to it.)

Could charges be pending toward the mother?

The careless maternal unit reported the Jeep stolen knowing she left her daughter in it. Was this a protective move on her part toward her daughter or was she fed up with her daughter's rebellion? Why not just tell the police her daughter possibly drove off in her car?

I grew up in a "car" family. Driving was done for sport and utility. It never would have occurred to me to drive one of our cars while underage or without permission. Even if it was a thought I entertained, the consequence would have been utterly catastrophic for me.

My theory? Kids like this grow up to be journalists who write stories like this one. Cross county "chase". At 40 mph? Sheesh... give me a break. Fake news.)

Girl, 8, leads police on cross-county chase | Local News | heraldbulletin.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post

Is this child a product of little to no discipline at home? (I can almost PROMISE you this was not a stand-alone event! No respectful child does something remotely like this without working their way up to it.)
Considering it was the Mom who called the police to report it as theft and the child both 1). refused to stop when Police encountered her and 2). refused to exit the vehicle afterwards, I think you might be correct about the above.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I was prepared to blow this off as a very naughty kid until I read it was a girl.

So. I'll say it. Yes. There's something amiss with her.

Had it been a boy - and had he been willing to exit the vehicle when forced to by cops, I'd say he was a little wild.

But yes. A girl doing this is off the charts.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Ok, they arrested an 8 yr old? LOL How dumb. Probably be dismissed once it gets to court.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ok, they arrested an 8 yr old? LOL How dumb. Probably be dismissed once it gets to court.
It's unlikely to be "dismissed" in my opinion. This child is now in the Juvenile justice system, where she should be. It's not the joyriding the jeep that makes her stand out - it's the leading cops on a chase of some distance (20 miles?) and then refusing to exit the vehicle.

Something's not right with this child.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
My heart really goes out to this child...I hope she gets the help she needs...I hope her parents are willing to find proper help for her. The arrest is silly...8 years old. I wonder what caused them to arrest an 8 year old. usually this would be considered a mental health issue or a CPS issue. Maybe they are just a bunch of idiots who think an 8 year old can be "scared straight"

Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My heart really goes out to this child...I hope she gets the help she needs...I hope her parents are willing to find proper help for her. The arrest is silly...8 years old. I wonder what caused them to arrest an 8 year old. usually this would be considered a mental health issue or a CPS issue.
An article on indychannel.com indicates she was detained but no charges have been filed.

Honestly, this child is dangerous, IMHO. I don't know what a parent should do at this point.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
An article on indychannel.com indicates she was detained but no charges have been filed.

Honestly, this child is dangerous, IMHO. I don't know what a parent should do at this point.
They should be accessing mental health care programs, behavioral health and family support/training programs.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My heart really goes out to this child...I hope she gets the help she needs...I hope her parents are willing to find proper help for her. The arrest is silly...8 years old. I wonder what caused them to arrest an 8 year old. usually this would be considered a mental health issue or a CPS issue. Maybe they are just a bunch of idiots who think an 8 year old can be "scared straight"
Usually stealing a vehicle and leading police on a 20 mile chase will get you arrested no matter what age. Child needs help and hope she now gets that help.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Usually stealing a vehicle and leading police on a 20 mile chase will get you arrested no matter what age. Child needs help and hope she now gets that help.
No...when an 8 year old does something that doesn't end up really harming anyone (and sometimes not even then), the cops turf it to mental health or child services. But it turns out they did that, they didn't really arrest this child. Just detained her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events