Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:35 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Like it or not nothing is free. I’m sure this was a lengthy process and she was aware of the situation. Is it sad yes, but would you care if she was in her 20s? I’m going with no because it happens multiple times daily.
Nothing is free? You can't depend upon the mentally ill or an elderly person with dementia to make good decisions. We have laws in every state to deal with people who are in danger of harming themselves or others & they do not include putting people in jail who have not committed a crime.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:39 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nonsense, they did not have to call the cops to take her out of the facility, they did not have to file an eviction against her. As soon as they realized that she wasn't paying her rent and was causing problems they should have called her family. If they wouldn't help her they should have called the guardianship office. One or the other would have gotten her help and found alternative housing. Situations like this happen with the elderly and mentally ill all the time. I have never seen it escalate to the point where a 93 year old is jailed.

What's even worse is reading these posts on C-D with people justifying what happened to her, that is disheartening to say the least.
Lol. It got to this point and you think NOW her "family" should be involved? Maybe they should have paid her rent. Maybe her "family" should have been her guardians all along.

And no, this doesn't happen ALL the time.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:50 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Nonsense, they did not have to call the cops to take her out of the facility, they did not have to file an eviction against her. As soon as they realized that she wasn't paying her rent and was causing problems they should have called her family. If they wouldn't help her they should have called the guardianship office. One or the other would have gotten her help and found alternative housing. Situations like this happen with the elderly and mentally ill all the time. I have never seen it escalate to the point where a 93 year old is jailed.

What's even worse is reading these posts on C-D with people justifying what happened to her, that is disheartening to say the least.
I have no idea how often something like this happens. I do know there are facilities like this that take the SSI check and the rest is reimbursed from the government. I don't know what kind of situation she had.

It would be nice if everyone cared and did the right thing but that is not how it works. To the facility its probably just a business to them and the employees its just a paycheck. Its also true many families do not care about their elderly relatives. I don't know how someone can live with themselves thinking like that but they do. It does seem the facility was trying to place her somewhere. And she says they refused to take one months rent when she was behind in paying the rent. Normally if someone is behind in paying rent they need to pay it all not partial. So I don't know what to say about this. Not sure where the truth lies.

It does say this in the story:

The Eustis police report said that Franklin House staff offered to help her move, but refused.
She also refused assistance from the Department of Children and Families, The Homeless Coalition, Department of Elder Affairs and eight other agencies, officers said.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:51 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:

Good post 2sleepy. I especially agree with your last sentence. I see a hardening of American's hearts which will doom us. Life HAS to be more than just about how much money you make. That can be gone in a day, then what will you be left with? A vast emptiness.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It is true she was given several opportunities to leave and all of that, but since when is that an excuse to handcuff and arrest a 94 freaking year old frail woman and treat her like dirt?

It is so true that you can judge a nation by how it treats its most vulnerable and helpless of citizens.

Truly despicable.
I see it the other way. Since when is old age an excuse to not pay your bills or accepting viable alternative options?

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I have no idea how often something like this happens. I do know there are facilities like this that take the SSI check and the rest is reimbursed from the government. I don't know what kind of situation she had.

It would be nice if everyone cared and did the right thing but that is not how it works. To the facility its probably just a business to them and the employees its just a paycheck. Its also true many families do not care about their elderly relatives. I don't know how someone can live with themselves thinking like that but they do. It does seem the facility was trying to place her somewhere. And she says they refused to take one months rent when she was behind in paying the rent. Normally if someone is behind in paying rent they need to pay it all not partial. So I don't know what to say about this. Not sure where the truth lies.

It does say this in the story:

The Eustis police report said that Franklin House staff offered to help her move, but refused.
She also refused assistance from the Department of Children and Families, The Homeless Coalition, Department of Elder Affairs and eight other agencies, officers said.

The home was 'supposed' to deal with this when they first had problems with her, I think I already covered that, but let me give you another example. What if instead of being obnoxious & not paying her rent she had decided to set herself on fire, should the facility have handed her a lighter? Assisted living means that the people in that facility had cognitive or physical disabilities or they wouldn't be there. Here's what they should have done rather than take her to court to evict her. And by the way, in most states that facility would lose it's license for handling it so badly.
  • called her doctor
  • called her family
  • filed an application to have the county name a conservator who would make decisions for her which would probably include finding her a new place to live.

And then the cops get involved, and what do they do? They double down on stupid and arrest her. Here's what they should have done.
  • Called her family in Tennessee and asked them to come and get her, then tell the facility to allow her to remain there until they arrive to pick her up, and if the family refused then
  • Detain her for a 72 hour mental health evaluation and transported her to whatever facility does those evaluations, usually the ER. The criteria for that is being in immediate danger of harming yourself or others, or being so gravely disabled that you can't take care of yourself.

There is no justification for taking her to jail. I worked in law enforcement for almost 3 decades and we dealt with people like her all the time and never once was one arrested and taken to jail.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. It got to this point and you think NOW her "family" should be involved? Maybe they should have paid her rent. Maybe her "family" should have been her guardians all along.
And no, this doesn't happen ALL the time.
If her family refused to help her the County guardianship office would have appointed someone one who would and yes "lol" it does happen all the time.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I see it the other way. Since when is old age an excuse to not pay your bills or accepting viable alternative options?
Perhaps it becomes an excuse when you are so cognitively impaired that you don't understand the consequences of your actions.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:51 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
My mom is getting close to 90 years old and gets bruises for barely brushing against something. At that age it does not take much. To say it was some sort of abuse by the law enforcement is dubious.

Handcuffs are not pleasant to anyone who has to be cuffed. There is nothing nice about this story but to say its wrong that they cuffed her is wrong. Perhaps she wanted to leave the jail and by her behavior that got her into trouble in the first place she has trouble doing what she is suppose to do.

I don't know if there is an age where laws no longer apply to them. I would image the police were willing to take her somewhere else but she refused like she refused help from others. So they had no choice but to take her to jail. They had to take her out of the facility but where were they suppose to leave her?
My Mom is on a blood thinner because she used to be a chain smoker and develops clots in her lungs without it. She bruises by barely bumping stuff.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My Mom is on a blood thinner because she used to be a chain smoker and develops clots in her lungs without it. She bruises by barely bumping stuff.
So you'd be cool with seeing her taken to jail and being handcuffed and in ankle shackles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events