Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2018/02/16/daycar...ot-from-noose/

MINNEAPOLIS — A Minneapolis day care owner has pleaded guilty to trying to kill a toddler in her home.

"Forty-three-year-old Nataliia Karia entered the plea to attempted murder and third-degree assault. She also pleaded guilty to criminal vehicular operation of a vehicle for hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist and another driver as she fled from her home in a minivan.

The criminal complaint says a father was dropping off his son at the home in November 2016 when Karia led him toward the basement, where he saw the toddler hanging from a noose. He released the child and fled with him. The 16-month-old boy survived.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports Karia told a judge Thursday she had been struggling with mental health issues in the weeks before the incident."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Wow.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 PM

32,653 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Stay at home mom can be hard on a family financially, but there are too many stories of weird behavior in day care centers. A little financial hit for a few years might be worth it to make sure your kid is safe.

We had one in Bend Oregon where the day care owner would be there in the morning to receive the kids and then she just left the kids there alone all day, every day. Neighbors finally filed enough complaints that social services looked into it.....after months. Unbelievably, none of the children were injured.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:15 PM

I wonder if this was a fully licensed daycare. Did they not notice this woman had problems when they hired her? She sure looks like a weirdo in her mug shot.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Stay at home mom can be hard on a family financially, but there are too many stories of weird behavior in day care centers. A little financial hit for a few years might be worth it to make sure your kid is safe.
It's not hard once the parents accept that they may have to make due with driving used cars, not taking expensive vacations, having basic cable or OTA TV for a few years, no Internet (which generations before never had and managed to survive without) and Tracfones rather than smart phones. A child's welfare is far more important than luxuries.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It's not hard once the parents accept that they may have to make due with driving used cars, not taking expensive vacations, having basic cable or OTA TV for a few years, no Internet (which generations before never had and managed to survive without) and Tracfones rather than smart phones. A child's welfare is far more important than luxuries.

THIS^^^^!

Add homemade, filling meals like our stay-at-home-mom's used to make. We ate a lot of stew in my day.

One old car served our family's purpose because Dad worked locally and mom stayed home.

We wore clothes from the thrift shop.

We only got a new pair of shoes when we outgrew the old ones. Those dreaded saddle shoes lasted forever.

When we broke our toys, Dad fixed them. Nothing got replaced until Christmas, and only if we were lucky.

There are an abundance of things parents can do today to reduce costs so that one parent stays home and raises the children. Too many females joke about keeping a job just to get away from their kids. Not funny! We can see what that selfishness has done to our country and to the children. If couples can't manage, they should put off having children until they can raise them properly and safely. To not is a form of child abuse in itself.

People today have more material things than any other generation, yet nothing outside of that has improved. Abuse has skyrocketed, especially in Daycare Centers where the children shouldn't be in the first place.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wonder if this was a fully licensed daycare. Did they not notice this woman had problems when they hired her? She sure looks like a weirdo in her mug shot.
I did some more googling because the original article didn't say much. She was licensed and been in business since 2009.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
THIS^^^^!

There are an abundance of things parents can do today to reduce costs so that one parent stays home and raises the children. Too many females joke about keeping a job just to get away from their kids. Not funny! We can see what that selfishness has done to our country and to the children. If couples can't manage, they should put off having children until they can raise them properly and safely. To not is a form of child abuse in itself.
Although I don't think "selfish" is a good word to describe two parents who work, I think it's true that many people live above their means. I see these parents going on shopping sprees at Gymboree buying piles and piles of new clothing, driving new cars and making car payments, and living in homes bigger than what they need. Even with 2 good salaries, they have CC debt or live paycheck to paycheck.

However, it's true that most abused children are abused in their own homes, by a family member, rather than daycare. The daycare abuse cases are not as common although when they get reported to the media, it makes people think it's a common thing.

What struck me hardest about this story is the fact this woman attempted to murder a child, almost succeeded and yet, she is facing only 15 years in prison. If a man had done the same thing, he'd be looking at a life sentence.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Did they not notice this woman had problems when they hired her? She sure looks like a weirdo in her mug shot.
She looks normal to me.
I mean for someone who's having their mugshot taken after being found trying to hang a kid.
I'm sure if you saw her in the street you'd never look twice at her.
I'm sure if you were deciding whether to drop your kid off at her daycare you wouldn't look twice.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

We had one in Bend Oregon where the day care owner would be there in the morning to receive the kids and then she just left the kids there alone all day, every day. Neighbors finally filed enough complaints that social services looked into it.....after months. Unbelievably, none of the children were injured.
In many cases this isn't even true. I believe it was Dateline NBC a few years back did a segment on this and profiled a few couples. After they sat down and crunched the numbers they realized that having both parents working, paying for daycare, having to a buy a wardrobe for office work, etc. was actually costing them money, or they were just breaking even, or the financial incentives of having both parents working was next to nothing once they crunched the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Exactly. You don't need two car notes and the latest most expensive handheld device.

Why have kids and than hand them over at such a young age to strangers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events