Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I reported about both the videos and the Instagram posts four days ago, on March 6 - see post #32 in this thread. I did not see anything new in the article you linked - can you be more specific about whatever it might be? Thanks.

Those who've questioned the Turpin kids' health might do well to note the height of the daughter in these newfound videos - her head is only slightly higher than the handle of the door behind her. She is seventeen, and is standing, not sitting.
I'm so confused. They didn't know what police officers or medication was, but were familiar enough with instagram and youtube to make videos and post on there? If there was access to internet, I don't understand why they didn't know about cops and medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm so confused. They didn't know what police officers or medication was, but were familiar enough with instagram and youtube to make videos and post on there? If there was access to internet, I don't understand why they didn't know about cops and medication.
I agree. It's very confusing. How could they have known, and had access to, Youtube etc. without knowing about much of the larger world out there? As well as contacting law enforcement and getting their story out? Not casting aspersions on the kids, but it does seem murky and contradictory. I have no doubt they were controlled and abused, but some of the story is so confusing.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I agree, it's murky and contradictory. I really don't think the confusing information was purposeful - the Cop who said they didn't know what medication or cops were maybe was taking something out of context, or it was just one of those questions that somehow got misinterpreted.

I'm really hoping to hear more positive reports about their recovery and further integration into the community.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
We kind of suspect that Louise and David only liked the children when they were younger. It's possible that they mainly talked to them in baby talk or the equivalent.

I'm still confused as to the YouTube and Instagram access. Maybe the 17 year old was somehow a favorite child who got to do things the others didn't. Sometimes kids will take on more parental roles when one of the parents is dysfunctional. Maybe the 17 year old knew more because she had to overcome Louise's weaknesses in order to survive. I guess it is also possible that being child # 7 or 8 that Louise and David were more lax about what they allowed. I think a lot of our questions will get answered in time.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
I think the answer is simple. The parents were 100% confident that the children would not reveal anything to strangers. They had been trained not to do so all their lives. Remember, the mother was genuinely puzzled why the cops were knocking on her door. It never occurred to her that one of her children had left the house and revealed what was going on.

Perhaps use of the cell phone was a reward that had to be earned and I assume access was rare or there would have been more videos.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think the answer is simple. The parents were 100% confident that the children would not reveal anything to strangers. They had been trained not to do so all their lives. Remember, the mother was genuinely puzzled why the cops were knocking on her door. It never occurred to her that one of her children had left the house and revealed what was going on.

Perhaps use of the cell phone was a reward that had to be earned and I assume access was rare or there would have been more videos.
As I recall, it was a cell phone she had found somewhere in the house. The service on that phone had been discontinued, but you can still call 911 on a discontinued phone as long as it was charged. And she had taken photos on the phone to prove the abuse.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:41 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
As I recall, it was a cell phone she had found somewhere in the house. The service on that phone had been discontinued, but you can still call 911 on a discontinued phone as long as it was charged. And she had taken photos on the phone to prove the abuse.
How did she post videos using a phone with no service, though?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
How did she post videos using a phone with no service, though?
Sorry - my post was confusing.

She escaped the house and called 911 on a phone with no service. She also took pics with that phone, and apparently kept it charged.

I don't know how she posted videos to the internet - her singing voice was loud and noticeable - maybe a parent wasn't in the house when she posted those on some device? Maybe she sang all the time and so no parent noticed when she was singing? I really don't know how that happened.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But how did she take and send Youtube videos without knowing what they were and that she didn't know that she could contact authorities? I wouldn't want to question her knowledge of how the Internet worked as I cannot possibly know. But it's a mystery nonetheless. I'm 67 and some of the internet is a mystery to me as well.

I only wish them all the best recovery and happiness.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

I'm still confused as to the YouTube and Instagram access. Maybe the 17 year old was somehow a favorite child who got to do things the others didn't. Sometimes kids will take on more parental roles when one of the parents is dysfunctional. Maybe the 17 year old knew more because she had to overcome Louise's weaknesses in order to survive. I guess it is also possible that being child # 7 or 8 that Louise and David were more lax about what they allowed. I think a lot of our questions will get answered in time.
I'd like to know when those videos were posted. Because that daughter has her hair styled differently in each video as well as makeup in some. That contradicts being chained to a bed and never being allowed to bathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events