Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:16 AM

383 posts, read 430,086 times

Advertisements

A new ad, I think by Microsoft, has some celebrity claiming that "this is the future we always dreamed of." It irks the you-know-what out of me.

America today is so not the future I always dreamed of. People over 55, or even people who recall life before the internet, if you weren't too scared to even think of what life after the year 2000 would be like--what was the future you dreamed of? Did it just involve love and community and your family? Did it extend beyond the people you loved and cared about? Did it involve technology or any material thing at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
I think for a lot of people who grew up on Star Trek or the Jetsons or Back to the Future, or any of the other gazillion tech-heavy TV shows or movies often dreamed of what technology could do. What's so wrong with that?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Right now I feel the future will be 1984 as I believe we are heading in that direction. That or Skynet will become self aware.

Either way we screwed ourselves.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think for a lot of people who grew up on Star Trek or the Jetsons or Back to the Future, or any of the other gazillion tech-heavy TV shows or movies often dreamed of what technology could do. What's so wrong with that?
Alot of those same people do not realize there was something enacted in 1951 that basically ensured none of this technology would ever see the light of day....The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951.

Had this not been done and was not still in place today, I believe we would see much greater technology than we currently have.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:49 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Alot of those same people do not realize there was something enacted in 1951 that basically ensured none of this technology would ever see the light of day....The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951.

Had this not been done and was not still in place today, I believe we would see much greater technology than we currently have.
Well personally, I'm pretty damn amazed with the advances we've made even just in my lifetime. I'm not greedy.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
A new ad, I think by Microsoft, has some celebrity claiming that "this is the future we always dreamed of." It irks the you-know-what out of me.

America today is so not the future I always dreamed of. People over 55, or even people who recall life before the internet, if you weren't too scared to even think of what life after the year 2000 would be like--what was the future you dreamed of? Did it just involve love and community and your family? Did it extend beyond the people you loved and cared about? Did it involve technology or any material thing at all?
Future? after Vietnam just having a future at all has been enough for me........count your blessings.....

Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Wow, I never heard of this. (Break-time Google work.) I'll be interested to know if this Act is British or American.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Future? after Vietnam just having a future at all has been enough for me........count your blessings.....
Oh, I do, my friend. And God bless you. So hard to believe Vietnam is now further in the past than WWII was when we were young.

Your words brought tears to my eyes.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
Wow, I never heard of this. (Break-time Google work.) I'll be interested to know if this Act is British or American.
Its American. I just learned about it 6 months or so ago. Reading about it on Wikipedia is really interesting!

It basically enables Govt to classify and withhold inventions or technology that could have negative economic effects on existing industry or effects Govts ability to exert its authority in anyway. Some of Nikola Teslas inventions were suppressed using this act, and they remain classified to this day!

There is also a Freedom of Information document/ list of some of the technologies this act has been used to suppress over the years, lots of stuff having to do with vehicles and vehicle engines!

Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
I think it was right about the time NASA was repurposed as a muslim outreach program and we started having to hitch rides from the Russians to get in to low orbit that I realized the future I had envisioned as a child was officially dead. I agree with the poster who said our future will more closely resemble "1984" than it will "Star Trek". What I once looked towards with hope and wonder I now anticipate only with disappointment and apprehension. We had so much potential and we've wasted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events