Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 11:42 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times

Advertisements

They are going to be standing united for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Unless someone is has a physical need for a service dog or is actually moving across an ocean or sea I think it is wrong to have pets who cannot fit in small under-the-seat carriers on planes. Yes, I know that moving cross-country with pets via car is no fun -- I have done that twice! -- but I think that if people truly care about their pets, they would not knowingly put them at risk without having a very good reason for doing so. (And, btw, there are companies and people who will move pets by car for someone, although it is expensive to do so.)

However, that being said, I do have a great deal sympathy for anyone who loses a beloved pet, even if it is through accidental injury caused by ignorance. I think they are grieving enough without being also having to endure criticism by strangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Poor dog, but people should not be bringing animals on planes to begin with. An airliner is not Noah's Ark; it's designed for people. If an airline made a separate place to store animals then that might be a different story, but they should not be in the same compartment as passengers. I find it hard to fault the airline crew for putting a dog in the luggage compartment (if that's even what happened). Find an airline that has a special area designated for pets, or leave your pet at home with a sitter.
I have flown animals on an airplane before; they weren't in the cabin with me. They weren't even on the same airplane; they came in the day after I did and were flown as cargo. They were fine, but I knew that there was some risk involved, particularly as it was summer and they took one of the last flights where animals were permitted that season; I had to arrange my plans around that, as a matter of fact. I had to fly earlier than I had originally planned specifically so they could be brought over.

That's the one and only time I ever had any of my pets on an airplane and it was because I was moving back to the US from Europe and refused to leave my pets behind.

We have only one pet now, a dog that we adore. He will never see the inside of an airplane. We'll drive him if we ever move anywhere or we'll remain where we are until he dies.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The dog was in an airline-approved carrier and, in its carrier, was placed under the seat in front of the passenger, which, I believe, is the way it is supposed to travel. And considering that this was a dog, and its way on the flight already paid, one might think that the FA might have tried to move the carrier slightly forward or backward if it was intruding into passenger space, rather than kill it by putting it in the overhead bin - or request that the dog's owner remove herself and her dog and her kids and make other arrangements. And it was the FA's responsibility to know that the overhead bin could be a dangerous environment for the dog. I'm not really sure how the dog and its carrier could be so large that it could constitute a real danger to other passengers; French Bulldogs are small dogs. Another option would have been to have the owner keep the dog (in its carrier) mostly under the seat in front of her and any excess part of the carrier on the floor on her side; possibly fine her if the carrier/dog was too large to properly fit.
Of course the carrier could have been repositioned. It could have been put in front of the young girl's seat rather than the mom's.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:08 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Keep your pets at home. If pets were meant to fly, they would have wings instead of 4 legs.
Passengers who insist on taking their pets, need to be 100% +100% aware that it is their risk and risk to the pet. Owner's liability if their pet hinders the FA's, passengers, smells, allergies, and other flight safety.

A pet carrier under the seat. Gotta be a very very small animal. Maybe a snake?
^^This X 1,000,000.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
This whole thing just doesn't make sense.
If the carrier was an approved carrier it would ostensibly fit under the seats, why was it protruding?
If the FA were not around to check on the dog while it was barking (according to the daughter) why wasn't it possible for the owner to stand up and check on it?
Why would an experienced FA be willing to jeopardize her job by putting a dog in a space she had to know it wasn't allowed in, when it would have been easier to shove the carrier back under the seats or to put a different bag in the overhead to make more room for the dog?
And lastly, it seems like lately these types of incidents are always captured by some bystander, so where is the clip of this incident? Surely someone pulled their camera out and took a video of the FA arguing with the passenger...

Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
One of the first comments in this thread was "Keep your pets at home". Well what if I need to move my pet to a new home 2,500 miles away? Am I allowed to use an airline to transport my pet or should I drive with them in the car for 36 hours?
Why not? What is so amazing about that, is that you consider that a non-option. People used to drive horse drawn covered wagon 2,500 miles, and took six months to do it. Today thousands of truck drivers drive 2,500 miles every week. But you are too special to drive your car with all it's modern conveniences 2,500 miles to save your pets life. Sad.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,493,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There should be no pets in the cabin.
Well too bad. I had to travel cross country with two cats, we were moving. Airlines make their own rules. They were in carriers that had to fit under the seats and I paid for them to travel with us. I hated every minute of that flight, as I'm sure the cats did as well. Add to that I was 7 months pregnant and had to have a doctor's note that it was safe for me to fly. It was BIG fun, a blast. No pets in the cabin? Then find an airline that prohibits it.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This whole thing just doesn't make sense.
If the carrier was an approved carrier it would ostensibly fit under the seats, why was it protruding?
If the FA were not around to check on the dog while it was barking (according to the daughter) why wasn't it possible for the owner to stand up and check on it?
Why would an experienced FA be willing to jeopardize her job by putting a dog in a space she had to know it wasn't allowed in, when it would have been easier to shove the carrier back under the seats or to put a different bag in the overhead to make more room for the dog?
And lastly, it seems like lately these types of incidents are always captured by some bystander, so where is the clip of this incident? Surely someone pulled their camera out and took a video of the FA arguing with the passenger...
United flight attendant who forced dog into overhead bin 'lying,' owner's daughter says | Fox News

If the bag was protruding into the aisle it could have been repositioned. Just move it to the space in front of the child's seat. Putting a different bag in the overhead bin is also a logical solution. Who knows what the FA was thinking. She obviously did not hear what she was being told about the dog being in the bag.

“ 'While we were flying, the dog started barking and barking and there was no flight attendants coming. We couldn't stand up because there was a lot of turbulence so we weren't allowed to,' Sophia Ceballos, speaking on behalf of her mother, Catalina Robledo, told ABC 13."

If there was turbulence, the FAs had to be seated, too.

No video has surfaced. It may show up.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:50 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Just read an account that i will not link to as I refuse to promote it.

But according to this person who claims to have been there when this occurred, those around could hear the dog was in distress.

How can this be?
Maybe bystander effect?

The bystander effect, or bystander apathy, is a social psychological phenomenon in which individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. - Wikipedia

Old 03-15-2018, 05:27 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The convience of not havong to get off the plane and catch a later flight.
Plane was in the air. Does no one read the linked article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events