Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why is it kids from 3rd world countries have no nut allergies and why are we in the world of excess having this problem? I hear people say we are just more allergic and sensitive. I think there's a problem with our environment and food sources. People have been eating peanuts for centuries.
Why would you think this is accurate? There is very little medical care, how and why would we know if they had allergies or not? Also many of the most common allergies, peanuts, strawberries are not usually eaten by the poor. If all you eat is rice you’re not going to be exposed to many allergens,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why would you think this is accurate? There is very little medical care, how and why would we know if they had allergies or not? Also many of the most common allergies, peanuts, strawberries are not usually eaten by the poor. If all you eat is rice you’re not going to be exposed to many allergens,
Trust me I've traveled to other countries and when I say that in America we have kids with nut allergies I get laughed at. They don't think such thing exists.

Take Thailand for instance, if you can't eat peanuts you can't step into any restaurant over there. American Thai places don't count because they've removed peanut sauce and stir fried peanuts from dishes.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:25 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,603 times
Quote:
Trust me I've traveled to other countries and when I say that in America we have kids with nut allergies I get laughed at. They don't think such thing exists.

Take Thailand for instance, if you can't eat peanuts you can't step into any restaurant over there. American Thai places don't count because they've removed peanut sauce and stir fried peanuts from dishes.
Maybe all the peanut allergy people there died out. Perhaps in the 1st world countries we have medical resources that allow us to beat the "survival of the fittest."

I have a terrible intolerance for onions. If I eat something with onion in it, within 15 minutes I break out in sweats and then I am in excruciating pain for the next four hours. For two days after, I am not able to eat anything other than crackers. Every package I pick up I check the ingredients. Onion (powder, extract, oil...) is in A LOT of products from pizza sauces to roasted peanuts. Recipes change, so you have to keep checking just to make sure. People see me in the grocery reading the labels and think I am health conscious; I am just trying not to poison myself.

Sorry for this family's loss. Let it be a lesson for all other parents.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:02 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I live in a "third world" country. None of the kids that I know here are allergic to nuts, and we know a lot of kids here.
In my social circle, people have enough money to buy cashews and walnuts and pistachios, not to speak about the cheap peanuts. These are also people who have access to very good medical facilities.

One reason for the higher instance of allergies in Americans could be genetics, if the allergies are more common among a particular racial group.

Or it could be that Americans are so scared of allergies that they do not expose their kids to nuts, leading to nuts allergies. There was a research done which stated that the kids who were given nuts to eat earlier in their lives had a lower chance of developing nut allergies. This may also explain why American kids born earlier had lesser nut allergies compared to the current generation of kids, whose parents who are too scared of feeding nuts to them.

My elder kid was born in the US, and the doctor advised us not to feed him any nuts before he turned two.
Despite that, both he and my younger kid have been eating nuts since before they turned one, and have shown no signs of nut allergies.

Last edited by nirvana07; 07-20-2018 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-20-2018, 05:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Having a child who has such a severe allergy to such common foods must be terrifying. I feel for these poor parents. And the loss of a child so easily prevented is always such a tragedy. RIP child.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
So sad. I don't understand why anyone posting would criticize this deceased girl. Every makes mistakes.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:15 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Quote:
Why is it kids from 3rd world countries have no nut allergies and why are we in the world of excess having this problem? I hear people say we are just more allergic and sensitive. I think there's a problem with our environment and food sources. People have been eating peanuts for centuries.
It is strange. I don't recall any kid having a peanut allergy that I ever heard of when I was a child. I am 55 years old. I eat P-Nut butter several times a week. Is this a genetic problem people are born with now? I can't think of any foods I am allergic to.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:15 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
She paid a terrible price for being careless, I am sorry for her family. I am allergic to shellfish; it is an allergy I developed as an adult, so it was shocking when I had my first reaction.

As with nuts, shellfish residue is difficult to weed out, so I always have an epipen and my family certainly know when to take action. In restaurants I have to have the kitchen clean everything thoroughly before preparing my meal and there have been times that I have had an reaction. Was there an accident? Perhaps the server or cook thought I had a false 'allergy' and not taken it seriously.

Hopefully, there will be a follow up (doubtful) that explains the timeline after she ate the cookie. Regardless, I hope her parents will someday find peace; I cannot even to begin to imagine losing a child.

Last edited by melaniej65; 07-20-2018 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Stupid auto correct

Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,767,067 times
As someone with food allergies, my mom taught me at a very young age to read the ingredients list. She even gave me a slip of paper listing the things I needed to avoid for comparison to the list. By age 15, reading the packaging ingredients list was second nature and I no longer needed that slip of paper.

I feel terrible for this family.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:52 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
I think it has peanut on the side, too. She didn't check what she was eating. She wasn't carrying her epinephrine and benadryl with her. And peanut desensitization treatment has been available for about 15 years now.

Despite all this, the family will surely sue the makers of Chips Ahoy, and a sympathetic but medically ignorant jury will give them a huge award. And when they do, manufacturers will stop making any peanut or nut varieties of their foods, because there's no way they can ameliorate that risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events