Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 AM

130,749 posts, read 12,197,426 times

Advertisements

a tragic death, the folly of youth. It sounds as if she had not been cautioned enough by her parents to always check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Can't vote, can't buy a drink, can't smoke, can't fight in the armed forces, can't drive (in many states), has to attend school... yep... adult, not a child.
But if they go commit murder or some other serious crime, then they are charged as an adult depending on the state, crime, and what the state wants to go with.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM

14,382 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
Can't vote, can't buy a drink, can't smoke, can't fight in the armed forces, can't drive (in many states), has to attend school... yep... adult, not a child.
The legal definition of "child" runs from birth to age 18. But only if you can't recognize any differences between a 2-year-old and a 15-year-old, does your comment make sense.

I would expect a 2-year-old to grab a cookie without thinking twice. A 15-year-old who KNOWS she has a potentially fatal allergy, and who also has the ABILITY to read packaging and make an informed decision--that's a different story. And I'm pretty sure that if it comes to that, a court will rule accordingly.

Last edited by saibot; 07-19-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,037,554 times
Quote:
But in many states a 15yo can be charged as an Adult in a court...

Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,217,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Windex is blue, and smells very strongly of cleaner. It doesn't have a graphic of a fruit on the bottle, and it's store in a cleaner type bottle, not a sports drink type container.

The problem here, is that "fabuloso" doesn't sound like a cleaner, it sounds like who knows what, and all the other clues seem like a beverage.

Earlier in this thread I posted that the Walmart Asst. Mgr. said it WAS a drink when I expressed my concern that the display appeared to be a drink display. So even HE, when told it is confusing that it looks like a drink, still didn't "get it". It looks like a drink.
Ok, but who goes to a store, buys it and STILL thinks it's a drink? Do people really need that much protection from themselves? If you buy it knowing it's a cleaner then it's on you to keep it out of the hands of children.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:46 AM

14,382 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, but who goes to a store, buys it and STILL thinks it's a drink? Do people really need that much protection from themselves? If you buy it knowing it's a cleaner then it's on you to keep it out of the hands of children.
I can see your point, but there is a certain product, ant chalk, which I like to use, but is illegal in the US partly because it looks exactly like regular white chalk (true) and comes in a cute little colorful box that children would be attracted to (also true). So clearly a major fear is that children would play with it and be poisoned.

I do think manufacturers have a certain obligation not to make hazardous items appear virtually indistinguishable from innocuous ones, even though technically parents are responsible for keeping those things away from children. Now, where the line is blurry is with those items that are harmless for 99.5% of the population and hazardous for 0.5%.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:48 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,493,896 times
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately they do. Rather than do what it takes to be vigilant, smart, self-sufficient and independent, many people demand to be taken care of by the rest of us, including the cookie and cleaning solution makers. Dear Lord, what will their children be like?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
a tragic death, the folly of youth. It sounds as if she had not been cautioned enough by her parents to always check.
Where did you see that? Nothing I have read says her parents taught her to read labels and take responsibility for her condition. It says just the opposite - that her parents told her what items were okay to eat rather than to ascertain the ingredients herself.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,092,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To a child it would look like a bottle of juice. It looked like that to me, I just happen to know what Fabuloso is.
Exactly. Looks like a fruit punch, but yes I know what Fabuloso is and still read the packaging. But not everyone does unfortunately in this case.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 25 days ago)

35,748 posts, read 18,082,654 times
Quote:
I don't know, but I'd think at least some.

The greater hazard is when it's in the home, being unloaded with groceries, or sitting out because it's being used and a small child takes a sip.

Or the housekeeper comes by, and leaves her stuff out and again, a small child takes a sip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events