Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,095,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She was also given two epi pen injections, but it didn't help.

That's scary, I would have thought if you gave the injections relatively quickly it would help, but it didn't seem to help here.
For severe allergies, you need to use the epi pen immediately. She should have had her epi pen with her. By the time she went home to have her parents administer it, it was too late.

Instead of blaming Chips Ahoy, the parents should be talking about the importance of always having an epi pen close by. Its useless if its sitting in a medicine cabinet at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,332,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is so sad. I'm curious about the original article, though. The mother said she recognized the red package and thought they were safe. I've never seen Chips A Hoy in a red package. It's always blue.
What am I missing? Do they have several varieties of cookies in red packages?

There was a girl here at University of Texas who died during her graduation ceremony several years ago. Awful awful story. Before graduation she went to a reception for grads, and ate carrot cake after asking the server if it contained nuts. She was told no.

And so during the ceremony she felt the affects of an allergic reaction, but it was too late by the time she sought help. Embarrassed, I guess. SO VERY SAD.

The lesson here, IMHO, is if you have a lethal allergy to nuts, don't eat commercially prepared carrot cake no matter what the staff says. Most carrot cakes contain nuts. How about for dessert you have ice cream with caramel sauce? Or if nothing else is available for dessert, just settle for the carrot sticks and cheese cubes at the reception.

SO SAD.
Chewy Chips Ahoy come in a red package. But red or blue, she needed to have checked it rather than assuming. Most mistakes are not deadly, though

Old 07-17-2018, 08:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,145,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
For severe allergies, you need to use the epi pen immediately. She should have had her epi pen with her. By the time she went home to have her parents administer it, it was too late.

Instead of blaming Chips Ahoy, the parents should be talking about the importance of always having an epi pen close by. Its useless if its sitting in a medicine cabinet at home.

Exactly why I posted that besides having them in my purse, car, bf's house, etc., is why all of my friends and neighbors have one. I do not understand why, if she had that severe of an allergy, she didn't carry one. Why the hell would she/her parents risk her life by not being prepared for that kind of an emergency? Honestly, my EpiPen packs even come with a practice pen so people can learn how to use it in an emergency.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes same here. Also all the ADHD and other diagnoses, that many kids have today. Nothing. And we had a lot of kids in our classes.
Its almost as if there have been medical advancements over the past 50 years that have helped doctors to better identify these types of things.

Also, there was the Education for All Handicapped Children Act, which was enacted in 1975. Prior to this, many states had laws that allowed schools to exclude children with certain types of disabilities from attending public school. Today we don't institutionalize these children or ship them off to special segregated facilities.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 10 days ago)

35,961 posts, read 18,264,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
No I'm not.

I'm not stupid enough to actually eat or touch my seatmates peanuts. I have made it into adulthood without a reaction caused by someone else eating peanuts in my presence. And I have been on plenty of flights where peanuts are served as an inflight snack.
For some people with peanut allergies, they don't have to eat them.

Peanut dust floating through the air, and on the surfaces they will also touch leaving the plane can be enough.

Why do you think they say this on an airplane? CERTAINLY, the person with allergies isn't about to grab someone's sandwich and ingest it.

It's because the very dust in that closed in atmosphere, and someone smearing their peanut butter covered hand on a shared arm rest would be enough to put another passenger into a serious health crisis.

It's a blessing for you that your allergy isn't all that severe, and a blessing for you that you have a vigilant boyfriend and friends who are willing to stock your emergency EPI pens. I'm a little curious why you are so dismissive of others in your same situation.

So although you are allergic, you're not as allergic as many, and so you're basically dissing those people who have a more severe allergy than you do, and throwing them under the bus. Weird, actually. ???

Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,145,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
For some people with peanut allergies, they don't have to eat them.

Peanut dust floating through the air, and on the surfaces they will also touch leaving the plane can be enough.

Why do you think they say this on an airplane? CERTAINLY, the person with allergies isn't about to grab someone's sandwich and ingest it.

It's because the very dust in that closed in atmosphere, and someone smearing their peanut butter covered hand on a shared arm rest would be enough to put another passenger into a serious health crisis.

It's a blessing for you that your allergy isn't all that severe, and a blessing for you that you have a vigilant boyfriend and friends who are willing to stock your emergency EPI pens. I'm a little curious why you are so dismissive of others in your same situation.

So although you are allergic, you're not as allergic as many, and so you're basically dissing those people who have a more severe allergy than you do, and throwing them under the bus. Weird, actually. ???

Just curious, are you allergic?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,096,701 times
[quote=Sundaydrive00;52526745]Its almost as if there have been medical advancements over the past 50 years that have helped doctors to better identify these types of things.

Also, there was the Education for All Handicapped Children Act, which was enacted in 1975. Prior to this, many states had laws that allowed schools to exclude children with certain types of disabilities from attending public school. Today we don't institutionalize these children or ship them off to special segregated facilities.[/QUOTE

Yes, obviously but it still doesn’t explain lack of allergies. Also children are so overly diagnosed and smothered these last several decades it’s amazing any of them can function . Also I remember two kids in our class that had some learning disabilities and were just slow. These two students were in our regular classes all the way through high school. The teachers and other students assisted them and they loved school.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,126,892 times
I've seen packaging that states that even though the product doesn't contain peanuts, it says on the packaging that there are peanuts in the factory.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes, obviously but it still doesn’t explain lack of allergies.
Just because you didn't personally know anyone with allergies, doesn't mean they didn't exist. People still had allergies. And maybe you do know people with food allergies, but its not something they talk about. I had mild food allergies as a kid. It wasn't something I went around talking about, I just avoided specific foods. My sister is allergic to shellfish. Its not something she goes around telling people either, she just avoids eating shellfish.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...they-dont-know

Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,749,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
She didn't bother to look at the branding on the *side* of the packaging? Common sense would dictate that. You don't go by just color alone. Anybody with less than an hour's experience stocking market shelves could tell you that.

There's sometiuhng more to this that social media/the alarmist mass media aren't telling.
15 yo kid. She was probably busy talking to her friends. Probably never thought anything past the red package. Pretty sad. My heart goes out to the family.
I don’t think it’s the company fault because imo if you have such allergic reaction to peanuts it’s mostly your responsibility to make sure you don’t eat peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events