Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
a tragic death, the folly of youth. It sounds as if she had not been cautioned enough by her parents to always check.
Nobody lives life in a state of constant high alert. It might have been years since she had any sort of allergic reaction. I'm sure she asked about peanuts and was careful with foods she wasn't familiar with, but most people let their guard down a bit when long periods of time go by and they are fine. She may not have had any problems for years and years before this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 12:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 58, and growing up in the 1960's and 70's I never knew anyone with a food allergy. Now it's peanuts, soy, gluten, etc.
People didn't share this information in those days, because they would get lectured by idiots who told them that allergies are nothing more than a psychological problem. That they are having a psychosomatic episode and not an allergic reaction. Saying they should try vitamins. Children with asthma were told they were "acting out" to get attention from their parents. School athletic coaches told students having an asthmatic to keeping running and ignore it. People can die from asthma.

So for that reason, many with allergies to seafood, milk, smoke, chemicals, etc. would keep it to themselves to avoid the ridicule. Just because it doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it doesn't bother someone else.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:46 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
a tragic death, the folly of youth. It sounds as if she had not been cautioned enough by her parents to always check.
People with allergies develop a list of things they can and can't have. But the problem is, whoever is making it can change the formula or where it is being manufactured. That kind of notice isn't going to be huge on the box with a warning. So she might have consumed it before and it wasn't an issue, but something changed.

A friend of mine who is allergic to seafood tells me he has to be very careful, because sometimes even over the count stuff is own primary care doctor recommended ended up having shellfish in it.

You can never be careful enough, but accidents to happen like this. Poor girl and sorry for her family and friends as well.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:52 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, a cleaner sounds like Pine Sol, Lysol or Mr. Clean.
Fantastik!

Well, a factory made cookie sounds like it may have peanuts, peanut butter or peanut dust in it. I taught VBS last summer to 8 year olds and one little girl would not take the store bought treat, not peanuts, because of the possibility that it was made in a factory that used peanuts in other snacks.

Just wondering, is there any possibility or talk that the 15 year old took any other substance, besides just a cookie?

Old 07-19-2018, 01:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
People with allergies develop a list of things they can and can't have. But the problem is, whoever is making it can change the formula or where it is being manufactured. That kind of notice isn't going to be huge on the box with a warning. So she might have consumed it before and it wasn't an issue, but something changed.

A friend of mine who is allergic to seafood tells me he has to be very careful, because sometimes even over the count stuff is own primary care doctor recommended ended up having shellfish in it.

You can never be careful enough, but accidents to happen like this. Poor girl and sorry for her family and friends as well.
Well, presumably as a person with a severe peanut allergy, she had not previously consumed cookies that contained chopped of Reese's cups and peanut butter chips. This was not a hidden hazard. The top of the bag was pulled back but there is labeling on the side of the package too. And the peanut butter cups and chips are visible within in the cookie itself. You can see photos in this article showing all of this

https://wsvn.com/news/local/south-fl...s-ahoy-cookie/

It really does seem odd that she could have been THAT oblivious.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, a factory made cookie sounds like it may have peanuts, peanut butter or peanut dust in it. I taught VBS last summer to 8 year olds and one little girl would not take the store bought treat, not peanuts, because of the possibility that it was made in a factory that used peanuts in other snacks.
Yes, I had a 4th grade student last year who wouldn't eat anything that wasn't made in a peanut free factory. The school gave the students a goodbsg on the last day before winter break, and she gave here's away. Nothing in it contained nuts, but it was small items like rice krispie treats that could have been contaminates in the manufacturing process. At the end of the school year, I made sure to bring in some treats that she would be able to have.

I just think that if 8 and 9 year old kids are able to be aware of such things, then a 15 year old should as well.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,943,180 times
While my heart breaks for this family why on earth would she eat something at a friends house without reading the label and from an already opened container!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, but who goes to a store, buys it and STILL thinks it's a drink? Do people really need that much protection from themselves? If you buy it knowing it's a cleaner then it's on you to keep it out of the hands of children.
Thats what I don't get. Are there people out there who think stores are stocking sports drinks in the cleaning aisle next to Mr. Clean and Lysol? Even if you've somehow never heard of Fabuloso before, its location in stores should give you a pretty big hint as to what it might be.

Then once you get it home, put it away with your other cleaning supplies.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,529,090 times
I have food allergies.

You can not rely on just looking at the color of the packaging. Ingredients can change over time so people who have food allergies need to read the labels every time. If you have severe life threatening allergies, this is doubly important.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,256,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Ummmm... gee... maybe the parents should store the cleaning solution where the kids can't get at it?

Or better yet, buy a different brand of cleaning solution that doesn't entice one to consume the contents.

How insensitive of any of us to expect parents to do what it takes to protect their own kids.
+1.

How dare you ask parents to actually parent! So offensive!

Common sense & personal responsibility is long gone. Longggggg gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events