Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't noticed it, it has gotten harder and harder to rid infestations of any kind of bug. It's not that the bugs are getting more resistent, the problem is that our friends at the EPA have gotten into bed with pest control companies in the name of "Environmental Protection" and now you are unable to purchase EFFECTIVE pesticides. Instead you must call a pest control professional who is licensed to spray the same chemicals that we used to be able to buy over the counter.

Here in Missouri every year we are eaten up with ticks, chiggers and fleas. Thirty years ago, my dad would spray something on our lawn that eradicated these pests for weeks (or until it rained). Unfortunately, the product was banned.

Bedbugs are the same. The "epidemic" (and make no mistake it IS just that) is caused by pest control companies who charge $1000 to treat 1 hotel room. No telling what treating an entire airplane would cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
I personally know of a library that was closed for treatment....for bedbugs! I'm an avid reader and go to a different library all the time. And I do read at night in bed. Think about that for a minute.

Books I bring home, I fan through the pages and look closely. I could miss something though. My kids come to visit and they bring their suitcases...and they travel places, cruises, overseas. I wish they'd figure out a spray that we could use to eradicate. Why do the ones for cockroaches not work on them?

It's just an awful problem. Just EWWWWWW.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
When we had bed bugs we got rid of them with a steamer. steamed the beds and surrounding rugs. It was the only thing that worked for us.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
So...

One foreign carrier was to have bed bugs on a single flight. And? So?

We're all supposed to pretend this has never happened before, right?

And that now it's on every flight?

What I saw using google said it's still pretty rare but it does happen. Bed bugs just can't be avoided anywhere

Airplane crew refused to fly due to bedbug infestation By Stephen Moyes, The Sun January 14, 2018 | 8:57pm
Quote:
A BA source said: “The cabin crew saw bedbugs crawling over the seats — visible to the naked eye.

“They said it was unacceptable to work on that aircraft.”

The Sun can also reveal crew frequently complain of bedbugs on the route to Las Vegas
http://<b>How to spot bed bugs in yo...plane seat</b> Reader's Digest - Brooke Nelson - Jul 28th 2018 8:29AM
Quote:
That said, “it may be tricky to identify a bed bug because of the different sizes and coloration based on age and feeding status,” Dr. Green says. As a good rule of thumb, she says most bed bugs are reddish-brown, flat, and oval-shaped. Their sizes can range anywhere between a poppy seed and an apple seed.
Air India Assures "No Bed Bugs", Says Complaints Taken "Seriously"
Quote:
"#AirIndia affirms that no bedbugs were found after thorough checking of seats, laundry facilities & fumigation of aircrafts following bugbite complaints in some flts.

"These unfortunate reports are the first of its kind in our legacy of flying generations of satisfied pax (sic)," it said in a late evening tweet.

In its statement issued on July 24, Air India had said, "Experienced experts have carried out extensive service on the aircraft from fumigation to overhaul of the upholstery/seat covers/carpets etc to ensure that passengers keep enjoying their in-flight experience with us as always without any complaint of inconvenience."

What to Do If Your Airplane Has Bedbugs

Quote:
One last caveat: You can’t always be sure of where you got the bedbugs, even if you know when you first felt the bites. They can take up to 48 hours to start itching or feeling painful, and some people don’t have much of a reaction at all. Ballenger suggests notifying the airline you flew with and any hotels where you stayed. And here’s a pleasant thought: “If you got them in the hotel, you may have introduced them to the plane you traveled on. In my opinion, it’s safer to let both parties know.” So that gross person who brought the bedbugs on the plane? Might have been you.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:15 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,630 times
Quote:
There Are Bed Bugs in Airplanes
They deserve a vacation too.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What I saw using google said it's still pretty rare but it does happen. Bed bugs just can't be avoided anywhere

Airplane crew refused to fly due to bedbug infestation By Stephen Moyes, The Sun January 14, 2018 | 8:57pm

http://<b>How to spot bed bugs in yo...plane seat</b> Reader's Digest - Brooke Nelson - Jul 28th 2018 8:29AM

Air India Assures "No Bed Bugs", Says Complaints Taken "Seriously"

What to Do If Your Airplane Has Bedbugs
Your article from The Sun about BA says there are claims that "cheap cleaning contractors" aren't properly preparing planes for flights. Part of the problem here might be that cleaning crews likely aren't able to rid of bed bug infestations, nor is it their job to. Typically bed bug treatment takes more one time to work, and often because of chemicals used the area needs to be cleared for a certain amount of time. So flights will be delayed if they really want to solve the bed bug problem, and maybe planes even taken out of commission for some time. It's not like planes can quickly be rid of bed bugs between back to back flights.

I'm telling you, part of the problem is corporations including hotel chains and airlines don't want to spend the money to properly care for the problem. When I complained about bed bugs in my Caribbean resort, there were new people in that room the next morning after they moved me. And they had told us they didn't have the proper chemicals to treat and wouldn't for a few days - so they put new people in a likely infested room. Without proper treatment. A 5 star Caribbean resort. It's a huge problem.

Not to mention regular people who get infestations who cannot afford professional treatment. It's a problem when the most effective treatments cost thousands of dollars. It really contributes to the overall epidemic.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I'm telling you, part of the problem is corporations including hotel chains and airlines don't want to spend the money to properly care for the problem. When I complained about bed bugs in my Caribbean resort, there were new people in that room the next morning after they moved me. And they had told us they didn't have the proper chemicals to treat and wouldn't for a few days - so they put new people in a likely infested room. Without proper treatment. A 5 star Caribbean resort. It's a huge problem.

Not to mention regular people who get infestations who cannot afford professional treatment. It's a problem when the most effective treatments cost thousands of dollars. It really contributes to the overall epidemic.
My 1st experience was in 2014 working for a chain hotel. The GM there took it VERY seriously and took the room offline IMMEDIATELY *and* the rooms on either side JUST TO BE SAFE and had them treated properly.

Fast forward to 2018 when I work for a different company who does not take complaints seriously until someone threatens to report to the health department. Theteafter tries every home remedy on the planet only to discover, weeks later that the bed bugs are still going strong.

Believe me when I say that staying in any hotel is a huge rosk now days.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
When we had bed bugs we got rid of them with a steamer. steamed the beds and surrounding rugs. It was the only thing that worked for us.
Heat kills them.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:48 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My 1st experience was in 2014 working for a chain hotel. The GM there took it VERY seriously and took the room offline IMMEDIATELY *and* the rooms on either side JUST TO BE SAFE and had them treated properly.

Fast forward to 2018 when I work for a different company who does not take complaints seriously until someone threatens to report to the health department. Theteafter tries every home remedy on the planet only to discover, weeks later that the bed bugs are still going strong.

Believe me when I say that staying in any hotel is a huge rosk now days.
Check the bed for blood stains, and put your luggage in the bathtub. No kidding, this is real advice. I used to travel a lot for business. 500 a night and you can still get critters. Mercifully I didn’t, but a colleague did.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
slather yourself head-to-toe with mayonnaise, the bed bud bugs will slip off and can never bite. Vaseline works too but that would be kinda weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events