Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 02:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The daycare was being paid for its service and its primary duty was to supervise children.

True or false. The daycare failed to adequately supervise the children.

I don't see your post as anything other than an attempt to deflect the blame from the daycare---where it belongs.
The legal liability is most definitely with the daycare. But the parents also had a responsibility to protect their children and they failed. They won't be held legally responsible, but they were exercising poor ethics and bad judgment for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Common sense is lacking in many modern-day American adults, depending on the issue. When you have 12+ kids at a daycare, it would help to have at least 4 adults there too.
There are a lot of women running home daycares in my area. Many of them do this because they are desperate for money, but can't get a job working outside of their home. So they set up a home daycare. But it may not be a great quality environment. It's sad these women are so desperate for money. At one of the home daycares in our area, the woman who ran the daycare out of her home had a teenaged son who was molesting the kids. He's in prison now. I'm guessing she was not supervising very well at all. You don't let kids out of your sight.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It would have been nice if she had put the same effort into researching and selecting a daycare for her children.
As much as I hate to deflect any blame from the daycare provider, I agree. I understand that daycare can be very expensive and hard to find, but you owe it to your children to put them in the best care you can afford. When I went back to work, I needed childcare for the summer, and the first thing I did was check the DHS reports on the daycares I was looking at; any one that had a history of safety violations was out of the question. This place had a long history of serious violations; pool or no pool, how do you bring your babies there? Just hope for the best?

And with a reputatable, licensed daycare, you still have to vigilant, because they can get lax in between inspections. The one I ended up choose was great on paper: licensed, great reviews, the only violation on record was an incomplete immunization record a couple of years before... but I pulled my kids out after finding out that one of the care providers was being verbally abusive. Thank goodness my kids are old enough to tell me about it, and my daughter even secretly recorded it with her iPad when she told me about it. I immediately pulled my kids out, called DHS, and left a review on every childcare site I could find.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 07-26-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 05:45 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Poor babies. The pool would have been a no go for me. I've made other stupid mistakes as a parent.

I had a daycare I accidentally turned in. I had checked her out out with DHS previously. My husband and I started feeling something was off. We looked around at other daycares and I called DHS again to check them out. As an afterthought, I asked about our provider again even though I knew we were leaving. Turns out our daycare provider was no longer licensed and was running the daycare illegally.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The legal liability is most definitely with the daycare. But the parents also had a responsibility to protect their children and they failed. They won't be held legally responsible. . . .
You can't be sure about that. A jury could easily apportion some percentage of the blame to them.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I'm still not clear on the whole scenario. Were the kids in the house when the day care operator went to the front door to receive the new daycare kid? Were the kids outside at the pool when that happened, and the day care owner left them by the pool completely unsupervised?

Were the kids in the house and the back door was locked, and these kids were the kind who could quickly work a lock and run outside and jump in the pool?

Not much information here.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You can't be sure about that. A jury could easily apportion some percentage of the blame to them.
A judge would probably take that decision away from the jury. The idea that the daycare was not responsible for supervising this children and that it was the primary cause of these deaths is beyond reasonable logic.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The parents can't be "sued" for this. Who would sue them? What for?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:05 PM

255 posts, read 183,810 times
Just another reason why I dont believe in or trust daycares ...mothers should stay home with their children...but sadly sometimes even the mother's are the bad ones.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM

255 posts, read 183,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
But if you can’t afford a decent daycare then stay at home with your kids.
EXACTLY. I hate mothers that work and push their kids in daycare so young. Evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events