Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 PM

255 posts, read 185,454 times

Advertisements

Theu should've put them in a hotel nearby. I wouldn't wanna sleep on a cheap cot. Bs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,752,905 times
If somebody woke me up at 4 am and demanded my cot and blanket, I would have just said no. What are they going to do, wrestle me for it? I'm sleeping here. Come back when the plane is loading.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,877 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
Theu should've put them in a hotel nearby. I wouldn't wanna sleep on a cheap cot. Bs
The original article stated that each passenger would be reimbursed at a maximum rate of $200 for a night in a hotel when the flight was cancelled.

They were offered to be "put up".

Honestly, this topic is so disappointing. America used to be the tough "can do" country. Now it just seems like we're a bunch of limp biscuits, who whine and can't even be bothered to go to a hotel for reimbursement if their choice is not to stay in the airport. HELLO. GET A CAB. GO TO A HOTEL. Pay them, and then secure your reimbursement if you really don't want to spend a short night in an airport. Which actually, can be a really interesting adventure meeting interesting people.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,946,940 times
Small potatoes. In December 2010, Third World citizens were trapped in European airports for 3+ days and nights because of snowstorms. Hotel rooms were available, but they weren't allowed out of the airports or given emergency visas because of their countries of birth. However, Americans, Canadians, Australians and others deemed to be from "good countries" were allowed out of the airports. So I really don't feel sorry for a bunch of Americans stuck in an airport overnight. They weren't truly trapped. They had the right to leave the airport, and then rent a car to some other city with available hotels or find other accommodation options, etc. Visa rules are the racism of the modern world. If you really want to see how bad "stuck in an airport" can get, just get yourself a developing nation's passport and fly through Europe.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:44 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,384,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If somebody woke me up at 4 am and demanded my cot and blanket, I would have just said no. What are they going to do, wrestle me for it?
Yes. Airport security would get involved. They'd just throw you to the floor and handcuff you, then drag you off to a holding cell somewhere. On the plus side, at least you'd have a cot to sleep on.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,709,540 times
Lufthansa also do the same thing. I have seen cots and sleeping passengers in late afternoon 3 PM at the Frankfurt Airport. Mostly they are connecting passengers from America to Asian countries. once the incoming flight is delayed, next flight is after 17-18 hours if they miss the connection. Everyday there are hundreds of passengers. In order to save money on visa/immigration hassle, Luftahnsa put cots in the corridor which looks like permanently placed.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,496,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If somebody woke me up at 4 am and demanded my cot and blanket, I would have just said no. What are they going to do, wrestle me for it? I'm sleeping here. Come back when the plane is loading.
Ever notice that claims like yours play out a lot more in the bold assertions of people online... and not so much in real life?

I have.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,410,544 times
I’ve been stranded at O’Hare a few times. You don’t need to sleep in the terminal. United will book a hotel room for you at the dirt cheap United negotiated rate. You can sleep in a real bed in a local hotel room for around $100. The last time it happened, I just walked to the Hilton in the terminal. I think the room was about $120.00.

I don’t understand why the sheep don’t take some personal initiative. NFW I’m sleeping in the terminal. Same thing with missed connections and cancelled flights. I’m on the phone to reservations sorting it out while the sheep are queued up in some 2 hour customer service line.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,709,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Small potatoes. In December 2010, Third World citizens were trapped in European airports for 3+ days and nights because of snowstorms. Hotel rooms were available, but they weren't allowed out of the airports or given emergency visas because of their countries of birth. However, Americans, Canadians, Australians and others deemed to be from "good countries" were allowed out of the airports. So I really don't feel sorry for a bunch of Americans stuck in an airport overnight. They weren't truly trapped. They had the right to leave the airport, and then rent a car to some other city with available hotels or find other accommodation options, etc. Visa rules are the racism of the modern world. If you really want to see how bad "stuck in an airport" can get, just get yourself a developing nation's passport and fly through Europe.

Hi arctic_gardner !! I will not call it racism but rather cost cutting measure. Whenever Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh passport holders are stuck up in European Airports due to missed connecting flights to Americas, they are denied Hotel Rooms as Schengen Visa cannot be given just like that. What if they abscond from the Hotel, so they cannot be allowed to move outside the sterile zone of the airport.

I recall one incident where United Airlines flight Delhi-Newark had to land abruptly in Moscow because of some technical problems. United Airlines staff selected US Passport holders amongst the passengers and moved them to a Hotel in Moscow and rebooked them into other flights. Indian passport holders (more then 180, including Green Card Holders) were told to wait. As United did not have any presence, those passengers had to wait for 2 days being stuck at the airport. United made no arrangements for food and of course no visa for Russia because Airline will neither give permission nor money. The hapless passengers called Indian Embassy in Moscow for help but they were denied access. Finally Indian Embassy asked Air India staff at that Moscow Airport to provide food, blankets to passengers for 2 days till United send airplane to ferry rest of the passengers.

This scene is repeated every day in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris airports.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 AM

51,222 posts, read 36,895,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This.
I'm getting a little tired of stories where people get outraged and blame the wrong parties for stuff. Yeah, bad situation to be in, but pointing fingers at united for the 4 AM rousting? People should get their facts straight before posting blame all over the internet. I sometimes wonder if these companies couldn't counter sue for libel in such instances? And did you see how much miss thing wants to be compensated? Talk about milking a situation!
United is being blamed for not getting the people hotel rooms. Apparently the plane was having problems even at 7:30 at night. Many passengers feel that the airline waited deliberately so they did not have to get people rooms.

It was a 7:30 PM flight they should not have been made to stand around for five hours then told they had to sleep on cots. They were elderly people in wheelchairs on that flight, it’s ridiculous. People are getting tired of being treated like chattel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events