Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 AM

11,581 posts, read 6,764,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
As long as people keep giving their money to United, why would they change?

EXACTLY!!

I flew United once MANY years ago and never flew them again! I fly at least 4 times a year and my DH flies at least once a month for work and we NEVER fly United!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 AM

9,445 posts, read 6,602,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
United is being blamed for not getting the people hotel rooms. Apparently the plane was having problems even at 7:30 at night. Many passengers feel that the airline waited deliberately so they did not have to get people rooms.

It was a 7:30 PM flight they should not have been made to stand around for five hours then told they had to sleep on cots. They were elderly people in wheelchairs on that flight, it’s ridiculous. People are getting tired of being treated like chattel.

UNA had net income of 580 mil for 2017. I guess this is how they do it.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 AM

23,902 posts, read 33,692,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
UNA had net income of 580 mil for 2017. I guess this is how they do it.
I'm sure it was all about money too. They didn't want to call the flight was cancelled to let everyone go until it was too late. How many people have the money to put out for a $100+ room?

I was going to Arizona or Texas many years ago to meet up with my hub who was sky diving. I got to Philly and waited and hour or so and at some point the flight was cancelled due to a storm. Thankfully I lived an hour away and could drive home because I surely didn't have cash.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 29 days ago)

35,774 posts, read 18,115,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve been stranded at O’Hare a few times. You don’t need to sleep in the terminal. United will book a hotel room for you at the dirt cheap United negotiated rate. You can sleep in a real bed in a local hotel room for around $100. The last time it happened, I just walked to the Hilton in the terminal. I think the room was about $120.00.

I don’t understand why the sheep don’t take some personal initiative. NFW I’m sleeping in the terminal. Same thing with missed connections and cancelled flights. I’m on the phone to reservations sorting it out while the sheep are queued up in some 2 hour customer service line.
THAT. Last year I spent a night in Jacksonville because the flight was cancelled and there were no more outbound flights because it was so late.

I spent the night in a nice hotel, subsidized by American Airlines, for about 80 bucks.

I understand there are those who don't have 80 bucks, or don't want to spend it on a hotel they didn't know ahead of time they'd have to book.

In that case, here sir, is your cot. We'll come back to get it at 4 a.m.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,035,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
THAT. Last year I spent a night in Jacksonville because the flight was cancelled and there were no more outbound flights because it was so late.

I spent the night in a nice hotel, subsidized by American Airlines, for about 80 bucks.

I understand there are those who don't have 80 bucks, or don't want to spend it on a hotel they didn't know ahead of time they'd have to book.

In that case, here sir, is your cot. We'll come back to get it at 4 a.m.
I think part of the problem is that people didn't know that they would be woken up at 4 am.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:23 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,593,782 times
Lots of United bashing going on here. You guys should try Spirit or Frontier some time if you really want some perspective on how unpleasant flying can be.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 AM

15,491 posts, read 9,176,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If somebody woke me up at 4 am and demanded my cot and blanket, I would have just said no. What are they going to do, wrestle me for it? I'm sleeping here. Come back when the plane is loading.
Or worse then that. Pepper spray, tasers, pain compliance, whatever it takes, they will do it.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 7 days ago)

16,104 posts, read 21,235,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
United is being blamed for not getting the people hotel rooms. Apparently the plane was having problems even at 7:30 at night. Many passengers feel that the airline waited deliberately so they did not have to get people rooms.

It was a 7:30 PM flight they should not have been made to stand around for five hours then told they had to sleep on cots. They were elderly people in wheelchairs on that flight, it’s ridiculous. People are getting tired of being treated like chattel.
I get that, not the issue I'm speaking to. United was in the wrong for not taking care of their passengers in the first place and leaving them to spend the night in the airport. But the person making the tweets is blaming the airline for what is likely an airport policy.
I don't have a problem with assigning blame to united for the things they did wrong. They could have, should have done things differently and they certainly should have made passengers aware of all their options. (and maybe they did, but maybe some passengers didn't want to bother finding a hotel?) But when when they are publicly blamed for policies put in place by other entities that is sloppy reporting at the very least, and I would think a possible case of liable .

Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM

15,491 posts, read 9,176,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Now I've got this playing in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8egE4x9Djo
That guy wrote that song nine years ago. Want to make a bet that he has flown United at least a hundred times since then, with his guitar?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,044,544 times
I know this will not be Popular ... But....

UAL Really wanted to send that plane out that night, Keep in mind there are 100 some odd passenger waiting (or will be) in Portland ME that want to be on the plane the next morning. By kept working on the plane probably until the crew timed out, at around 11pm. That late at night there were probably no reserve crew left, so even if the plane was fixed (or they could grab another A320 that was in ORD overnight and use it, while the "broken" plane is fixed , there was no one to fly/crew it. UAL scheduled in a crew for a 6am flight of that section.

If the flight had gone out right before the crew timed out, they would have held around 6 UAL/Contract staff for the plans arrival at 3am'ish.

So what are the passenger to do? Its 11:30pm they are told the flight is rescheduled for 6am the next morning. a $150 hotel voucher is offered. But by the time you get out of the airport, wait for the airport/hotel shuttle bus(s), get check in to the hotel is 12:30-1am. You have get up at 4am to get the shuttle bus back to the airport, Clear Security, and get to the gate for your 6am flight.

Many passenger look at that is it even worth going to the hotel for 3 or 4 hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events