Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 09:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Must be family, or the young lady in question would be a ward of state. Even then someone would have been assigned (by state, court or whatever) to act has her legal guardian.

Someone or entity is paying for the young lady's care, even if it is only Medicaid. Again if that was/is case someone must have legal authority as guardian to sign off on care and so forth.

Yes, and that appears to be the case here. Hers is a care facility for those on Arizona's Medicaid program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Sick that someone raped her, but why do we keep comatose vegetables alive for decades+? I hope my family would have the decency to pull the plug on me well before a decade was up. What a waste of money and resources.
I couldn't agree more with this comment. Makes me wonder if the hospital is milking insurance money by keeping vegetables alive who lack relatives to do the right thing. As sick and horrifying as this sex crime was, I think the bigger story is the ridiculousness of keeping a vegetable alive for decades.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I couldn't agree more with this comment. Makes me wonder if the hospital is milking insurance money by keeping vegetables alive who lack relatives to do the right thing. As sick and horrifying as this sex crime was, I think the bigger story is the ridiculousness of keeping a vegetable alive for decades.
I highly agree with you. It should be illegal or stopped after a certain amount of time. It actually caused a pretty huge blow up in my family because my mother said she'd want to be kept alive forever if a vegetable while my poor dad was dying from Leukemia. It was back when Terri Schiavo was finally allowed to go.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
First paragraph, how is any of that ameliorated by the calls for vindictive vigilante justice, which is the only thing I have objected to. Somehow, Americans grow up amazingly well, "knowing they come from" all kinds of disadvantages and difficulties "horrible for the kid", "even if just a little"..

"No man is entitled" a Twinkie at a convenience store, either, but that doesn't make shoplifting heinous. It seems that you have had a very sheltered life, if you think the rape of a comatose victim is as heinous as it gets. I had a former drug dealer tell me he killed a man and it took him three days to die. Try that on for heinous.
Comparing a woman to a twinkie, shows how you value women. Obviously shoplifting is not heinous, it's not a crime against a person, it's not forcibly inserting a penis into a vagina, unwanted and without consent.

The fact that someone you know brutally killed someone doesn't mean that rape is not also a heinous crime. Have you ever watched the SVU intro - "sexually-based offenses are considered especially heinous" - they are, by their very nature, involving an intimate and personal act by force and without consent.

The man who raped this woman is dangerous, he should not be walking out in society where he can rape more women and further spread his defective DNA.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No I didn't. I classified stealing a Twinkie as something no man has a right to do. She is the one who said that qualifies it as heinous.
One of the most creative twisting of words I've ever seen.

YOU brought up twinkies, not me. I said "no man is entitled to any women, ever." This only extends to "no man is entitled to twinkies, ever, therefore shoplifting a twinkie is also a heinous crime" in your weird mind.

You said it, not me. Don't pin your stupid argument on me.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:10 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Morgan Loew of CBS 5 Phoenix tweeted, "They're (the police) not saying it's a sex crime, but an incapacitated woman cannot give consent." Isn't that the very definition of a sex crime-being forced to have sex against one's will?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Morgan Loew of CBS 5 Phoenix tweeted, "They're (the police) not saying it's a sex crime, but an incapacitated woman cannot give consent." Isn't that the very definition of a sex crime-being forced to have sex against one's will?
Yeah, it's mind-boggling to me that this is being reported as a "possible" sex crime, in many news reports. "Investigating a possible sex assault." I mean, really? Idk if it's some form of misogyny coming through or they're going along the same lines as saying "allegation," which is a cautious way of addressing a reported crime and suspect knowing it's possible it didn't happen or the accused didn't do it, but this is a pretty clear cut case of rape. It's rare to have a rape case like this, I mean we KNOW she was raped given her apparent condition, with her baby being the evidence. Assuming this woman cannot communicate and any sounds or movements she makes are kind of involuntary, like she mostly lacks awareness and is unconscious, there is no way she can consent. From the way she's described - vegetative state for 14 years, in this facility - sounds that way to me.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:22 PM

811 posts, read 622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You want to turn this into an abortion discussion? Really?
No.

But your statement begged for a thoughtful response.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah, it's mind-boggling to me that this is being reported as a "possible" sex crime, in many news reports. "Investigating a possible sex assault." I mean, really? Idk if it's some form of misogyny coming through or they're going along the same lines as saying "allegation," which is a cautious way of addressing a reported crime and suspect knowing it's possible it didn't happen or the accused didn't do it, but this is a pretty clear cut case of rape. It's rare to have a rape case like this, I mean we KNOW she was raped given her apparent condition, with her baby being the evidence. Assuming this woman cannot communicate and any sounds or movements she makes are kind of involuntary, like she mostly lacks awareness and is unconscious, there is no way she can consent. From the way she's described - vegetative state for 14 years, in this facility - sounds that way to me.

After I first saw the story, then searched for the most comprehensive one to post, I was aghast at the number of articles referring to this as an "assault," as you noted. Huh? This was a rape.

Yes, it is, indeed, mind-boggling.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes, exactly. Of course it's a sex crime. They don't seem to be regarding a woman in a coma as fully human, somehow. Like it "doesn't count", or something. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events