Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times

Advertisements

When I was in the eighth grade in a SoCal public school in the 60's, all the girls had to take 'Home Ec' and all the boys had to take Wood Shop (or something like that). Home Ec consisted of half the school year learning how to cook and bake, and the other half learning how to sew (making a dress from a pattern). This was not required for my kids when they were in eighth grade in the Denver area about 15 years ago.

I would think that ALL kids (boys and girls) would benefit from learning how to cook simple and healthy homemade meals as well as from a short course in money management.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
When I was in the eighth grade in a SoCal public school in the 60's, all the girls had to take 'Home Ec' and all the boys had to take Wood Shop (or something like that). Home Ec consisted of half the school year learning how to cook and bake, and the other half learning how to sew (making a dress from a pattern). This was not required for my kids when they were in eighth grade in the Denver area about 15 years ago.

I would think that ALL kids (boys and girls) would benefit from learning how to cook simple and healthy homemade meals as well as from a short course in money management.
absolutely but you said one important statement. You went to school in the 60's when those were part of the curriculum.

like yours my kids were in school more recently (2000's) and not one of their schools offered home ec as a class.
All extra's were cut. Kids leave school without knowing how to balance their checking accounts.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:

When I went to school in the 70s, boys were expected to take wood and metal shop, and girls were expected to take cooking and sewing. But there was an option to switch. A few girls elected to take wood instead of cooking and I believe a few boys took cooking. I don't remember the exact number, but it was only a couple per class, at most. Metal shop and sewing had no switchers. Those classes were still 100% gender separate.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
That is interesting, and I am shocked at how extremely different the list is from how we spend our money on groceries, especially since my husband retired. We don't buy soda, ground beef, cold cereal, frozen handheld foods and snacks, or lunch meat at all, and buy maybe a 6-pack of miniature soda cans a year, and two bags of organic tortilla chips a month. We do buy a lot of fresh produce (mostly organic), dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese), German-style breads, and fresh meat.

According to the cheatsheet you posted, "Let’s take a quick look at the 10 items food stamp recipients are most likely to purchase." (which isn't all that different from non-SNAP shoppers):

1. Soda
2. Milk
3. Ground beef
4. Bagged snacks
5. Cheese
6. Baked breads
7. Cold cereal
8. Fresh chicken
9. Frozen handheld foods and snacks
10. Lunch meat

So, I have a question: Are these SNAP and non-SNAP buyers an average of American buyers across all states? It doesn't seem like the grocery baskets I see most often here in the SF Bay Area.
The link is from USDA data but you would probably have to research the methodology on the USDA website. Here's the thing, even in the SF Bay Area most SNAP recipients are not shopping at Whole Foods and buying Tilapia for $12 a pound, but then neither am I shopping there and I'm not limited in what I spend on food.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I would NOT call Whole foods and Trader Joes as "average". Seriously?? YOU really believe that the "average" working folks is doing their family shopping at WHOLE FOODS??

You live a very charmed life. Here in Philadelphia there are 2 whole foods and they are in the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. We call it Whole check because it takes your whole check to buy a few items.
This may be an aside, but....

I live in an area with very low competition in the mainline grocery segment. We have a regional grocer, Food City, some dumpy Krogers that don't do much business, and a couple of stores from an NC based chain scattered in inconvenient locations. In smaller communities, your choices are Walmart and Food City.

With a lack of competition, prices rise. I went to the Whole Foods in Asheville two weeks ago. Numerous items, like store-brand milk, some Stevia soft drinks, berries, and frozen vegetables, were either cheaper at Whole Foods or the same price as the regional grocer.

Whole Foods has cut prices on quite a few things since Amazon bought it. Prime members and cardholders get additional discounts or rebates. It isn't as expensive as some believe it.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Wood shop is not offered these days. Some high schools do offer some sort of career center where kids can learn mechanics or other life skills. Home Ec is still an option. One of my boys took it a couple of years ago.

I do think a basic life skills class should be taught at school. I introduced my kids to cooking before they were two. They know some basics. I have one child that only makes sandwiches, ramen, mac 'n cheese, coffee and tea. I need to reintroduce him to making eggs, spaghetti and other simple, but tasty meals.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
absolutely but you said one important statement. You went to school in the 60's when those were part of the curriculum.

like yours my kids were in school more recently (2000's) and not one of their schools offered home ec as a class.
All extra's were cut. Kids leave school without knowing how to balance their checking accounts.
They learn to add and subtract?

That is the basics needed to balance a checking account.

Self control in spending is a whole other thing

Old 01-22-2019, 10:22 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:

When I was in home ec in the 70's, the only things we made were things like Rice Krispie treats. We never made actual meals. In sewing we had the entire semester to make one wrap=around skirt, and I never finished mine (spent half the class sewing and the other half ripping out stitches). I learned much more from my grandmother in terms of cooking, but the problem now is moms have to work and insta-dinner is used quite often. My mother had to work, and after we moved from my grandparents most of our meals were things like Hamburger Helper. But school Home Ec was a joke.

I would have loved to take Auto mechanics and would have more use for that now (my fiancé loves to cook and is much better at it then I) but girls weren't allowed to take it.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:32 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
The government is not announcing that SNAP benefits are cancelled. A local grocery store posting a sign that benefits might be cut, is not really the best basis to start assuming all low income people are going to starve to death.

Really, folks, a little early to trot out the drama.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Kids who won't eat basic nutritional foods such as peanut butter, bread, cheese, eggs, beans, and rice (and milk and meat and fruits and vegetables) are not hungry. If they were, they would eat these foods. What are you saying, that it's cruel for the taxpayers to provide only nutritional food to poor families?
Children will starve to death rather than eat unfamiliar foods, it is one of the problems with having long term food storage, you must incorporate those foods into your regular diet so that if you must rely on them the family and their bodies are familiar with them

Also I fail to see why you or anyone else has the right to tell someone else what they can buy or eat. Does not matter that it is taxpayer money.
It is self righteous and very annoying. As to what is or is not nutritional or necessary food, it is NOT your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events