Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 03:41 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Lol. What??? They sell the remaining balance to friends or family. Yes, they hand over the card and give them the pin. A friend of mine “buys” this from his neighbor almost monthly. Are you seriously unaware of how common this is? Often sold at $0.50/$1.00.

I’m seriously baffled that you’re even questioning this. Yes, it’s insane. And it happens. A LOT!
I don't know how often it happens, but it seems to be a fairly well-known practice.

Earlier in this thread someone posted about a woman living in a hotel room who would sell part of her EBT amount to cover part of the rent.

When I used to work in social services there were regular arguments when someone would use someone else's EBT card for more than the amount they had agreed upon.

For a time, our neighbor let some relatives move in her house. They would ask her to pick up groceries for them and hand her their EBT card. They told her people do that all the time. That no one ever checks. She asked me if it was legal. I told her absolutely not.

Regardless of the legality of the situation, it's a fairly well-known practice.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:51 AM

In a couple states, Arizona and California I think, if you meet certain criteria such being disabled, elderly or homeless, you are allowed to use EBT at a list of restaurants such as Golden Corral, etc.

In all states, most take-and-bake pizza places such as Papa Murphy's accept EBT. They don’t count as “restaurants” because you take the food home to cook it.

Easy to see how one could use up the month's entire EBT amount within a short time.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, you cannot use food stamps to pay for Starbucks drinks. This is untrue and incorrect, to put it mildly.
Yes, you can and I will post that information when I find it. Or you can find that information clearly with a simple Google search.

It only works at the Starbucks that are within a grocery stores, not at their stand alone locations.

This is a big reason why Starbucks is building locations within grocery stores, to get a piece of that food stamp pie.

Shocking and incredulous I know, but true. Our tax dollars to help starving people buy expensive sugary coffee drinks and sweets.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:40 AM

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- SNAP.

Soda pop, bakery cakes, ice cream, cookies, lattes from Starbucks, ... none of this is on anybody's list of nutritious items.

I certainly don't object to a parent treating her kids to a birthday cake or ice cream. Or someone treating themselves to a latte with a double shot of espresso. Fine by me.

But I don't think this should be paid for with taxpayers' funds provided for nutritious food.

Voice crying in the wilderness. I know.

McConnell seem to be gearing up to end this shutdown, so perhaps SNAP benefits will be up and running again by next month.

Fingers crossed.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Sorry but that's a gross characterization. Yes, there is an "orgy" of spending but it's not because they view it as a "windfall" but usually because it doesn't stretch far enough.

exactly what "luxury" perishables? humm my clients are well versed in how to make a 2 dollar meal of beans and rice and yes once in a blue moon they buy ice cream for their kids. Oh yeah god forbid a poor mother wants her kid to have ice cream once in a while.

I love how you perpetuate this myth that all poor people are some spend thrifts living la vida loca. Many of my clients are poor elderly who unfortunately basically grew up in poverty and their limited income is in no way keeping up with the cost of living.

one lady I work with has 3 kids, her "luxury" every once in a while. YOGURT. yes, a 79 cent container of yoplait yogurt is her treat.
When my grandchildren’s mother lived with us she said would buy red snapper and porterhouse steaks. It was good.

Last edited by whogo; 01-25-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, you cannot use food stamps to pay for Starbucks drinks. This is untrue and incorrect, to put it mildly.
I don't think the poster knows by looking at the cart who is going to be using food stamps, either. He is profiling who he thinks is there shopping on public assistance but he doesn't know. I shop at Walmart every week, I can't even count on one hand the number of people I've noticed using food stamps, it's not like the majority of people in Walmart are using them. Who would even notice? I'm not watching the people ahead of me in line to see how they pay.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think the poster knows by looking at the cart who is going to be using food stamps, either. He is profiling who he thinks is there shopping on public assistance but he doesn't know. I shop at Walmart every week, I can't even count on one hand the number of people I've noticed using food stamps, it's not like the majority of people in Walmart are using them. Who would even notice? I'm not watching the people ahead of me in line to see how they pay.
I only notice the WIC customers because here we are in the year 2019 and cashiers still have to whip out a pen, study the WIC paper in great detail, compare it to the actual product, and hand write information on the paper about the price of the product and other details, before finally sending it through a machine to print something on it. How is this not more computerized by now with a scan card or something??

Old 01-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, you can. It's allowed at the Starbucks that are located within stores (such as those in Target and Safeway).
Again though that poster has no idea if any of the people in line are using food stamps. She just noticed it's "longer than usual" and makes an assumption about why. It's suspicious that on January 2nd there were 7 people in the line at 11:15 a.m. when there are usually 4 people in line at 11:15 a.m., therefore it's proof that our tax dollars are being wasted by ne'er do wells!

Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again though that poster has no idea if any of the people in line are using food stamps. She just noticed it's "longer than usual" and makes an assumption about why. It's suspicious that on January 2nd there were 7 people in the line at 11:15 a.m. when there are usually 4 people in line at 11:15 a.m., therefore it's proof that our tax dollars are being wasted by ne'er do wells!
Well, you really don't have to be "looking to see what method of payment" they are using to notice the distinct blue card. Doesn't take much to notice it from the corner of ones eye.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, you really don't have to be "looking to see what method of payment" they are using to notice the distinct blue card. Doesn't take much to notice it from the corner of ones eye.
I have a Chase visa that is very blue, too. I haven't noticed anyone pay with food stamp card, don't know if anyone ever did or not. But it still seems odd to me to take note of everything they are buying as they put it into their bags, then check to see what payment method they are using so they can go "Ah ha!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events