Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 08:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The food stamp allotment has never been generous. And you cannot use SNAP benefits to buy Starbucks
Yes, you can. It's allowed at the Starbucks that are located within stores (such as those in Target and Safeway).

Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, you can. It's allowed at the Starbucks that are located within stores (such as those in Target and Safeway).
Well I'll be damned, I checked and you are right, I apologize. I wonder if Starbuck's lobbied for that because it sure doesn't make any sense. I wonder if they are going to extend that to buying fast food at a Walmart that has a McDonalds?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well I'll be damned, I checked and you are right, I apologize. I wonder if Starbuck's lobbied for that because it sure doesn't make any sense. I wonder if they are going to extend that to buying fast food at a Walmart that has a McDonalds?
I believe you can. (I MAY be wrong... But I'm pretty sure I've seen EBT cards used to pay for such things.) Not that I'd be against that necessarily. If they can buy frozen pizzas, sodas, chips, what's a pre-cooked meal at the grocery store?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:47 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I believe you can. (I MAY be wrong... But I'm pretty sure I've seen EBT cards used to pay for such things.) Not that I'd be against that necessarily. If they can buy frozen pizzas, sodas, chips, what's a pre-cooked meal at the grocery store?
I'm not arguing whether or not it's a good idea, in fact for a family who doesn't have a place to cook it probably makes a lot of sense, but I am surprised because as far as I know fast food has always been prohibited except for disabled or people over 60 (restaurant meal program).

Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I knew of at least 5 people who always had excess by the end of the month, and they would "sell" the excess to willing buyers. They were single parents with kids. And they certainly did not look like they were going hungry.

I personally wouldn't consider the amounts they got to be "generous," as I do tend to buy pricier items at times. But I do know that two of them (single moms with one small child) were getting a little over $300/month. $300/month in groceries for an adult and a child does go a pretty long way.
Sure, of course, your mystery family with kids getting so much in food stamp money that they can sell them to people.

Now, how exactly would that work?

Let's say I have more food stamp money than I really need, even though I only get $ 169/month- and of course, we're talking bout a vegan person getting only $169/month for food --- and I actually have some money left on my food stamp card at the end of the month. How exactly do I sell those benefits to someone else?

They would need to actually have my EBT card with them, in order to buy some groceries.

So, do I give some random stranger my EBT card so they can spend my food stamp money?

Then what?

The whole idea is completely insane.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Anyone here who wants to believe that someone getting food stamps is somehow living high on the hog, and also (usually concurently) believes anything Rush Limbaugh says, will never believe anything I have to say, as someone who actually receives food stamp money as a low income senior disabled person.

I'm not going to keep trying to change their minds. But, it's too bad that these people won't take just a few seconds to consider what sounds reasonable.

Do the stories really make sense to you? Do they sound like reality? Even if it's something your friends and family say, but it doesn't really make sense to you?

Just use your own mind, is all I ask.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:40 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/20/68660...st-until-march

There was a sign on the supermarket door warning people that their February benefit had been issued early, and that this was not extra, that there might be no more until the shutdown is over. Recipients are being warned to shop carefully, to use their good judgement, and to make the benefit last because there is the risk that there will be no benefit issued in March.

The only reason I can see this having been done is if SNAP wouldn't have had the staff in place to issue February benefits, but had the funding for the actual food benefit, and so decided to disburse benefits early.

The problem is that many of the people who benefit from SNAP are in the position of qualifying for benefits for the very reason that the instant that money (or SNAP benefit) comes into their hand, they spend it immediately, as if it were "perishable". Anyone who works at a place where SNAP benefits can be spent can tell you that the first day that the beneficiaries' cards are re-loaded, there is an orgy of spending. So no matter how much it is publicized that the next disbursement will be in March, or later, they will still see it as a windfall and spend it all immediately, and not on cheap staples with long shelf life, but on perishable luxuries. And two weeks from now, their children will be hungry.
This is one of my thoughts. I'm glad the grocery store posted that and hope they all do. Also hope a letter is sent out highlighting that this is not extra but their February allotment.

Yes, those contributing to this thread understand but my fear is those who are not paying attention to the seriousness of this issue may look at it as extra rather than early.

No one knows how long this shutdown will continue. I was glad to read that food banks are preparing for a crisis. I do fear for people who may not understand, especially if they are new to the system or have difficulty with comprehension.

I worry for all the social programs.

This made me think of the time, over 40 years ago, when I was going through a divorce and my son was a toddler. I needed help and applied for welfare.

Back then there were programs in place that helped me receive training and helped me find a decent job. Childcare was not subsidized but neighbors watched my son for $25, yes, $25 a week while I worked.

I did receive WIC and each month there would be a paper with nutritional recipes included.

Things were so different back then. There were some drugs around that I heard about but nothing like today. I wish we had programs like I went through so people could get back on their feet.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
It happens, but I doubt it's as prevalent as some of these posters seem to think it is.

Food Stamps and SNAP Benefits Fraud: A Very Short History | Time

Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sure, of course, your mystery family with kids getting so much in food stamp money that they can sell them to people.

Now, how exactly would that work?

Let's say I have more food stamp money than I really need, even though I only get $ 169/month- and of course, we're talking bout a vegan person getting only $169/month for food --- and I actually have some money left on my food stamp card at the end of the month. How exactly do I sell those benefits to someone else?

They would need to actually have my EBT card with them, in order to buy some groceries.

So, do I give some random stranger my EBT card so they can spend my food stamp money?

Then what?

The whole idea is completely insane.
Lol. What??? They sell the remaining balance to friends or family. Yes, they hand over the card and give them the pin. A friend of mine “buys” this from his neighbor almost monthly. Are you seriously unaware of how common this is? Often sold at $0.50/$1.00.

I’m seriously baffled that you’re even questioning this. Yes, it’s insane. And it happens. A LOT!

Last edited by Arcenal813; 01-24-2019 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 01:00 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Benefits were reduced in 2016.

I was on EBT then. I should be on it now but I’m not very good at being poor. I keep letting it lapse because my county’s DHS office cannot seem to figure out how to continue my “primary caregiver” status from one 6 month period to the next. It’s a technicality.

According to the Colorado Standard for Self-Sufficiency, my food expenses for the month (by household size, location, children’s ages, etc ...) should be $1,096/month. My budget affords me $500/month. EBT would add $240/month.

I really should just put my tail between my legs & go confront the technicality but the process is so degrading. Working for a living was EASY compared to this but I am a disabled family members primary caregiver & if I were not; taxpayer burden increases to $6,000/month. So ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events