Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It varies by state. The only program available in all states is childcare while participating in the return to work TANF programs, but some states have put limits on that, for instance Arkansas will not pay for childcare for a family on TANF unless the parent works at least 30 hours a week. In Arizona and Kansas there are long waiting lists for subsidized childcare. In California if you qualify you pick your own licensed provider but in some parts of California it's impossible to find one that the state stipend will cover. https://singlemotherguide.com/state-...re-assistance/
When I was in another state back in the 90s I went on waiting list for childcare assistance. I went on waiting list in 1996. By the time I left the state in 1999 I was still at the bottom of the waiting list. Minimum wage was $4.75/hour and the day care places were charging $4.25/hour. If you have to drop off half hour before your job started and it took half hour to pick up then you'd be paying out more than you made for child care.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Metlakatla, there is serious malware on the link you posted. I got a huge red flag, and then had to restart my Mac after I clicked on it.

You should delete that link.

Seriously? I clicked on it and my Mac is doing fine...but I'm going to delete it anyway just to be safe.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Seriously? I clicked on it and my Mac is doing fine...but I'm going to delete it anyway just to be safe.
I actually clicked on it 3 times, and had to click out 3 times. I got a full red screen STOP!! Each time.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
When I was in another state back in the 90s I went on waiting list for childcare assistance. I went on waiting list in 1996. By the time I left the state in 1999 I was still at the bottom of the waiting list. Minimum wage was $4.75/hour and the day care places were charging $4.25/hour. If you have to drop off half hour before your job started and it took half hour to pick up then you'd be paying out more than you made for child care.
This is a problem with single mothers who have absolutely no support from family or the father of their child, or any friends.

I have worked with young single moms, and have been shocked at how little support they sometimes have although there was a man there to get them pregnant.

Yes. If you live on minimum wage, and have no other social support at all, and are completely isolated, it's impossible.

I hope things are better for you now.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
LOL, beans and rice, yeah right. Come to my town on the 3rd of the any month and observe at the local Walmart. Carts full of sugary cereal, chips, soda pop, and expensive cuts of meat. Also, the Starbucks within our local grocery store suddenly has lines that are definitely longer than usual. Yes, you can use your SNAP benefits to purchase expensive Starbucks coffee concoctions.

I was on food stamps for awhile when my kids were little. The food stamp allotment is very generous. More than many people not getting subsidized can afford to spend on groceries in a month. The more kids, the larger the allotment.
No, you cannot use food stamps to pay for Starbucks drinks. This is untrue and incorrect, to put it mildly.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I actually clicked on it 3 times, and had to click out 3 times. I got a full red screen STOP!! Each time.
I tried it again (several times) and got nothing like that, but I removed the link just to be safe. I did see a popup for another news story that had a stop sign on it (the sign was supposed to be there as a part of the story and wasn't a malware warning).

The only issue I've ever had with 'The Hill' is all the ads on it.

Anyway, WIC isn't without its issues. Here's a link to the U.S. Government Accountability Office concerning it:

https://www.gao.gov/products/RCED-99-224

Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
L
I was on food stamps for awhile when my kids were little. The food stamp allotment is very generous. More than many people not getting subsidized can afford to spend on groceries in a month. The more kids, the larger the allotment.
I find this really, really hard to believe - that you were on food stamps and found the amount to be generous, and more than most people would spend on groceries in one month.

I can only give myself as a point of reference - I am very low income senior, and I live in Silicon Valley - probably one of the most expensive areas in the U.S., and I get $169/month food stamp allowance.

Can any reasonable person reading this thread really believe that $169/month is some exorbitant amount of money?

No.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, you cannot use food stamps to pay for Starbucks drinks. This is untrue and incorrect, to put it mildly.
Yes, you can.

https://www.businessinsider.com/food...uffins-2011-12

Quote:
A Safeway spokesman told FOX 12 they recently added the ability to use foodstamps in the Starbucks kiosk as a "convenience to customers." Apparently the purchase works only in the grocery store Starbucks and not at stand-alone stores.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:47 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I find this really, really hard to believe - that you were on food stamps and found the amount to be generous, and more than most people would spend on groceries in one month.

I can only give myself as a point of reference - I am very low income senior, and I live in Silicon Valley - probably one of the most expensive areas in the U.S., and I get $169/month food stamp allowance.

Can any reasonable person reading this thread really believe that $169/month is some exorbitant amount of money?

No.
I knew of at least 5 people who always had excess by the end of the month, and they would "sell" the excess to willing buyers. They were single parents with kids. And they certainly did not look like they were going hungry.

I personally wouldn't consider the amounts they got to be "generous," as I do tend to buy pricier items at times. But I do know that two of them (single moms with one small child) were getting a little over $300/month. $300/month in groceries for an adult and a child does go a pretty long way.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
LOL, beans and rice, yeah right. Come to my town on the 3rd of the any month and observe at the local Walmart. Carts full of sugary cereal, chips, soda pop, and expensive cuts of meat. Also, the Starbucks within our local grocery store suddenly has lines that are definitely longer than usual. Yes, you can use your SNAP benefits to purchase expensive Starbucks coffee concoctions.

The food stamp allotment has never been generous. And you cannot use SNAP benefits to buy Starbucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events