Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My late husband had a urologist named Dr. Cox. Seriously.
I had an appointment with my Army gynecology clinic (not given the Dr.'s name; just the date and time) and when I was called from the waiting room the nurse told me that I would be seeing Captain Massengill (sp?).

The nurse started laughing at the look on my face and I started to giggle loudly, too. I wonder if there were people who fit their profession to their surname.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
$30 in Alaska. I could get an Amateur Radio Operator license plate, but if you have someone's call sign it's just a few key strokes and you have their name and address.

Reality check: Anybody with a good scanner can listen in on any conversation you have on the air, copy down the call sign you are legally required to broadcast to the world, and look you up!
Do you operate field day as a 1A station? I wonder how many people heard your call sign?
I run a 2 meter net every Monday morning that lasts from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. How many people listen in but do not participate? I broadcast my call sign at least every 5 minutes calling for additional check ins. I have even put my call sign in various internet forums, under different screen names. My call sign is a "vanity" call sign. It contains my first initial and complete last name!
I'm easy to find!

Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I had an appointment with my Army gynecology clinic (not given the Dr.'s name; just the date and time) and when I was called from the waiting room the nurse told me that I would be seeing Captain Massengill (sp?).

The nurse started laughing at the look on my face and I started to giggle loudly, too. I wonder if there were people who fit their profession to their surname.
A friend was at a doctors office (many years ago) and they were calling the patients by their first initial, last name.

Pam Ennis, and yes, it's a long E.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:03 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Not a license plate but when I lived in SC, I used to drive by a urology clinic and one of the doctors had a very unfortunate last name: ****burn. It was pronounced 'co-burn' but it still looked bad given his profession, ha ha.

Did know a woman who got a vanity plate with her last name--T!tsoff--because the state considered it offensive even though it was her last name through a website that specialized in them. Perhaps Mr. Assman can do the same...

You can't help your last name and who even finds 'ass' offensive anymore for that matter?

Old 02-09-2019, 03:48 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Friends of ours knew some people who moved over from Europe. Their last name was Balmhole. (silent L) I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling?

Anyways, they were going to open a restaurant with the name "Balmhole's".

Our friend told them what it means over here and successfully discouraged them from using it. She worried that it might have turned some people off. It's hard enough opening a restaurant, so she might have been right.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
A former neighbor, a urologist, had a vanity plate - P-P Doc
Must have pissed you off.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:26 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Two thoughts.

1. There is usually an anti-profanity restriction on vanity plates.

2. When I see the word "Assman," my first thought is not that it's someone's name.

I really don't care if vanity plates are rude, crude, or profane, but as long as there are such limitations...well...there it is. Change the restrictions or deal with the limitations.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:52 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A guy named Assman becoming a proctologist, lol
Dr. Cox becoming a gynecologist would be equally funny.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why though does she even want her name out there to strangers? What is the reason she wanted it?

That's her business, not mine. I don't see a problem with people personalizing their license plate with their name or whatever. Not everybody lives their life in fear.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Reality check: Anybody with a good scanner can listen in on any conversation you have on the air, copy down the call sign you are legally required to broadcast to the world, and look you up!
Do you operate field day as a 1A station? I wonder how many people heard your call sign?
I run a 2 meter net every Monday morning that lasts from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. How many people listen in but do not participate? I broadcast my call sign at least every 5 minutes calling for additional check ins. I have even put my call sign in various internet forums, under different screen names. My call sign is a "vanity" call sign. It contains my first initial and complete last name!
I'm easy to find!

If I use my call sign on air, it pretty much stays within the ham community. If I put it on my license plate, it's out there for everyone to see. I'm also retired LE. I don't need to make it easier for criminals to find me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events