Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it’s a dangerous thing to do. A stranger can walk up saying “Debbie, Hi!” and they’ll stand there thinkibgvegetevfo I know him from, when it’s a trick.
I would think most would ask "Do I know you?" and not just automatically assume that they know a stranger because they are saying their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 02:13 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's her business, not mine. I don't see a problem with people personalizing their license plate with their name or whatever. Not everybody lives their life in fear.
I understand that but I don’t see the purpose or benefit. It’s like walking around with a name tag on all the time. For who?

Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would think most would ask "Do I know you?" and not just automatically assume that they know a stranger because they are saying their name.
Yes but that enough extra time for the person to be vulnerable, cause you’re gonna stand there and wait for him to get to you cause there’s that uncertainty whether he’s someone you’ve met. In any case it has worked with kids and I would probably hesitate at first as well. I guess I see the risk but not any benefit.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Yes, it’s a dangerous thing to do. A stranger can walk up saying “Debbie, Hi!” and they’ll stand there thinkibgvegetevfo I know him from, when it’s a trick. They earn kids about this, cause pedophiles have stalked kids Facebook pages (by pretending to be a kid), they know her first name and where she goes, when her softball game is, and approach using her name, saying he’s a friend of her dad or whatever, and the kids are vulnerable.

I noticed today one of my coworkers has her first name on her plate, and it’s a very uncommon name. I might be paranoid, but I wouldn’t do it. To be honest I don’t see the purpose.
It's a trick? Doesn't sound like a very useful one. What's the point?

"Hi, Debbie!"

"Huh? I have no idea who you are. But, sure, since you said my first name and because I can't imagine how that could be unless we're acquanited - and it can't possible be because the plate on my Prius says 'Debbie' - then I'll definitely go with you. What, you want to put zip-ties on me and make me ride in the trunk? Sure! After all, you know my name!"

Come.
On.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
But who among us considers the word ass offensive anymore? We've all got one. I'm sitting on mine right now.
Here's a sample from the Province of Ontario, see #6, appropriate personalized message.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/personal...late#section-5

Old 02-10-2019, 06:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I had an appointment with my Army gynecology clinic (not given the Dr.'s name; just the date and time) and when I was called from the waiting room the nurse told me that I would be seeing Captain Massengill (sp?).

The nurse started laughing at the look on my face and I started to giggle loudly, too. I wonder if there were people who fit their profession to their surname.
I was in a Medical office building one day in Northern Virginia, and was looking at the directory in the lobby. There was an OB/GYN listed as Harry Beaver. If it were not before the advent of cell phones, I would have snapped a picture of it.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:05 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If I use my call sign on air, it pretty much stays within the ham community. If I put it on my license plate, it's out there for everyone to see. I'm also retired LE. I don't need to make it easier for criminals to find me.

IF you use your call sign on the air? Really? IF you are a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, you KNOW you are required to broadcast your call sign, when and how often it is required!
As a retired LE, you should be aware that there are thousands of scanners in use every day, not to mention multi-band receivers that shortwave listeners roam the bands seeing what they can find.
You would be surprised at how many people outside the Ham community have your call sign written down in some log book!

For that matter, it is amazing how many people have access to a Vehicle Registration List printed by the State DMV. Sure, it is supposed to be restricted to Law Enforcement and Security Guards, but a lot of ordinary people have access to that book and can look up your license plate number. I often wonder if it is available to anyone, on line. I would not find that surprising.
Let's face it, "privacy" and "security" are illusions in today's world. In any large town or city, there is a good chance there is a security camera or traffic camera watching you at any time, any where. Even in some rural areas, there are private or community cameras.
SMILE, YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's a trick? Doesn't sound like a very useful one. What's the point?

"Hi, Debbie!"

"Huh? I have no idea who you are. But, sure, since you said my first name and because I can't imagine how that could be unless we're acquanited - and it can't possible be because the plate on my Prius says 'Debbie' - then I'll definitely go with you. What, you want to put zip-ties on me and make me ride in the trunk? Sure! After all, you know my name!"

Come.
On.

You can hesitate long enough for them to get to you. Maybe high odds against this happening, but again what’s the benefit that makes it worth any risk however small?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
You can hesitate long enough for them to get to you.
And why would a vanity plate make any difference?

Do you not allow people to say your name in public, in case a stranger might overhear?

But really, couldn't said stranger just say "Hey, how are you doing?" To get your attention for a moment?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And why would a vanity plate make any difference?

Do you not allow people to say your name in public, in case a stranger might overhear?

But really, couldn't said stranger just say "Hey, how are you doing?" To get your attention for a moment?
It’s just my opinion not anything I feel Like digging my heels in about or arguing this much about. Just my opinion, ok?. Again I see no benefit to it. Again to me it’s like walking around with a name tag on 24 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events